XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW TO: Cleaning the Wheel Speed Sensors FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 03:31 PM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by cygnus x1
95 X300 problem, but found this post. I've read through this, cleaned LHR sensor, measured OK (1.1K at connector under rear seat) checked, installed second sensor (measured 1.1K, and cleaned prior to install). Cleaned connector under rear seat. Still have all the faults and no speedo. This all started when a new rebuilt hub assembly was installed after a wheel bearing spun and destroyed the original hub. No prior problem. Not sure where to go from here? Hard to believe the ABS/TC box up front had anything to do with failure since it was the hub replacement that caused the problem??? I did not install hub, so I don't know how clean the sensor ring is in the hub? Can/should it be cleaned? Can that be done without removing? What about residue remaining in hub after cleaning? HELP
You assume it was hub replacement that caused your problem & you may be correct but, is it possible that it was merely a coincidence & the problem is unrelated?
Not sure but, maybe you need to replace your brake light switch. In 2012 I had issue with Failsafe Engine light & loss of Cruise Control & replacing the switch fixed it. Difficult to DIY since must get yourself wedged under the dash with little room & light.
Engine Failsafe and cruise control
Earlier in 2012 I had the ABS module rebuilt due to repeated Failsafe Engine Mode warnings. I had removed & cleaned all my wheel speed sensors with no effect. Some people discussed throttle body cleaning or replacement.

I used to get "ASC not Available" & "TRAC NOT AVAILABLE" & the rebuild of ABS module solved that.
I assume you've checked your battery & it is fine. Good luck.

Last edited by Iconoclast; 06-08-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:07 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the help, I had an ABS light and 'Trac / ASC not available' flashing warnings. I cleaned the front sensors per your instructions and helpful video, without even taking the wheels off. It was about to rain so I decided to see if that did the trick before taking off the rears, and sure enough, the warnings went away and it's been fine for several days. Saved me a bunch of time and cash I am sure. Great to have people like you helping out on here!

Old 09-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

I just got the ABS light w/ Trac message after going through a deep puddle high speed on an newly acquired XJ8, let's hope mine is this simple of a fix lol.

Informative post, thanks sir.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:17 PM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

WHAT I REALLY WANT TO KNOW, IS IF THESE SENSORS CAN BE BYPASSED.

Yes yes, I know... Safety issues and all that... But I would just really like to try and bypass them once and for all.. All my jags have had this at some point...drives me nuts.

I was able to bypass by wife's brake pad sensors on her 2011 CLK500, her ears tell her all she needs to know about the brakes. So can something similar be done with these sensors???

Old 09-04-2015, 07:50 AM
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hm1
WHAT I REALLY WANT TO KNOW, IS IF THESE SENSORS CAN BE BYPASSED.

Yes yes, I know... Safety issues and all that... But I would just really like to try and bypass them once and for all.. All my jags have had this at some point...drives me nuts.

I was able to bypass by wife's brake pad sensors on her 2011 CLK500, her ears tell her all she needs to know about the brakes. So can something similar be done with these sensors???
No no no no no! These are not wear sensors. These are the sensors that detect the wheel speed, so that the ABS braking and Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) can work. Without these sensors, you will not have ABS braking nor DSC. I believe ABS and DSC are mandatory on new vehicles now.

I encourage you to look at the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) data on ABS and DSC (link below). I did this when speccing out my Mini Cooper in 2005, when DSC was a new thing and it was a $500 option; I didn't specify DSC when ordering the car initially - but then the dealer advised me to look at the IIHS data...

DSC helps especially in single-vehicle accidents (particularly, hitting a puddle or wet leaves in a corner and spinning out). Cars equipped with DSC have about 50% fewer fatalities in single-vehicle accidents compared to cars without DSC.

I went back to the Mini dealer and asked, "can I have two"?

Electronic stability control reduces fatal crash risk

Show your Wife this post and ask if she wants you to reconnect the DSC...

Old 09-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally solved my issue by replacing the module on my 2002 XJR with 70k miles.
I watched a youtube video on how to replace it and sent it to Module Repair pro in California. It was returned in 3 days.
It took about an hour to remove and an hour to install taking my time. Cost under $60 for the repair and shipping both ways.
My problem was off and on and occasionally a shuttering left front wheel while braking at low speeds.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hanging on the phone to find out the cost of a new ABS speed sensor from Lookers Jaguar West London when I saw this thread. After 12 mins hanging on for their parts dept the phone was picked up and put down ...charming !
I got a fault as the rear left wheel speed sensor and the dash is lit up like a Christmas tree, ABS/DSC, Engine Mgmt, so will give this a go before I take it in to be robbed by the dealers !
The last time I went in for its service they quoted me £160+vat to change the bonnet/hood release switch. I bought the switch myself, replaced it and ;lo and behold it wasn't the switch, it was the pinion type things that were seizing and with a quick tap with a screwdriver and some grease it was fixed.
Will try your cleaning method and update once done (hopefully it will be the same on a XJ6 2004/5
Could also be the battery as it needed to be jump started after being left undriven for 5 weeks.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

A weak or dying battery is always the first suspect when various random fault messages and codes start showing up....

The following users liked this post:
jjayp (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Also, just try disconnecting and reconnecting the sensors. I've found that the terminals lose contact after a while. It wasn't the cleaning of the sensors that was making my problem go away for a while, it was merely reconnecting them.

The following 2 users liked this post by scardini1:
jjayp (10-19-2017), Orthodixie (10-19-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 02:54 PM

Cleaned the offending abs speed sensor module but still got the warning lights (your tutorial/pictorial was excellent - many thanks).
Quick question, as the original battery (2004) has been playing up I have ordered a new battery, is there a specific routine that should be followed when changing the battery over?

Old 10-26-2017, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

The first time I changed my battery, I kept power on the car by hooking a small charger to the engine compartment's terminals. I was unfamiliar with the car and wasn't sure what would happen if it was completely de-powered.

After a couple of mechanic visits and changing another battery I no longer have such fear. You'll have to reprogram your windows, your seat and steering column memorized positions and whatever was in your trip computer (trip ODO, avg MPG, etc.) might go bye-bye. That's really about all the happens if you disconnect the battery. Your radio "will" remember your stations!

jjayp (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 06:33 AM
Default Battery Change

Thanks Scardini, I thought as much, I've had the old battery on a ctek charger for 18 hours and its still showing as a half charged unit. New battery is arriving this afternoon, after much deliberation I opted for a Bosch S4013.
It may not be the answer to the fault code but at least I'm not being charged for the pleasure of fault finding by Jaguar at £90+ per hour ! I shall update once fitted.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

If you indeed wind up needing a new wheel speed sensor, SNG Barratt sells aftermarket ones for about one-third the price of a Jaguar one here in the US. I had to replace one on my 2005 S-Type a couple of years ago, decided to go with the aftermarket one, and it has functioned perfectly....

The best way to test the sensor itself is to swap it to the other side of the axle and see if the OBDII code thrown follows the swap....

Old 10-27-2017, 11:52 AM

All changed over and still the dreaded abs/drs and engine management light are on.
Maybe it really is a faulty abs speed sensor? I think that's the next route to go down once I've swapped them over , thanks Jon, perfectly logical way of checking out if it really is faulty !

Old 10-28-2017, 09:31 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

What model and year car are we talking about?

Old 10-29-2017, 08:44 AM

Hi Gus its a :
2004 JAGUAR XJ6 V6 SE AUTO 3.0 Petrol

Old 10-29-2017, 11:19 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Use this link and go to the ABS Testing and Check list. It is for a 1999 XK8 but it will give you a little direction on testing all of your sensors. I would suggest having another helper to move leads under the car as you are testing. It would seem to me that the ABS systems may be near the same but you can check the oneline for your car to be sure. Goog Luck!

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Link http://jagrepair.com/images/Electric...al%20Guide.pdf

Orthodixie (10-31-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 11:52 AM

Many thanks Gus,
I'll try and see if i can figure this out this week. Will of course update once done.
You guys are so great.
JJ

Old 10-30-2017, 05:35 AM
Thumbs up Another excellent post

Thank you, Sam. Beautifully described and illustrated.
I had to do this job about 12 months ago on my 2005 XK8 when the ABS light came on (and stayed on) after I hit a pothole with one of my front wheels. Used the soap & tooth brush - worked a treat. BUT, one of the sensor retaining bolts sheered off, despite the care I took when unbolting. Not easy drilling out and retapping, but I managed. A good dose of penetrating oil is in order. This is probably more of a problem in the UK with our wet roads and (especially) salt.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:48 PM
Thumbs up Fixed !

Thanks Gus, it was the sensor, swapping it swapped the fault !
I got the replacement sensor and fitted this afternoon. I've become a bit of a dab hand at jacking and removing the wheels (and just like in the original post, my grandfather also told me when I was a mere nipper to always slide the tyre under the car just in case it comes off the jack) - they don't teach that stuff in the Highway Code or driving test !
Thought it hadn't done anything as I turned the car over in the drive and the lights were still on, but when I got in and drove down the road the abs and dsc all went out.
Carried on driving & the engine management light stayed on for about 5 mins and then I turned on the ac/dual mode and it went off .
Once again, thanks to this invaluable forum and its truly helpful members I've saved myself a good few hundred pounds (and the opportunity to be ripped off) and learnt something in the process.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Cleaning the Wheel Speed Sensors FAQ