Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   How to disable convertible top...... (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/how-disable-convertible-top-55006/)

Magnetvision 05-21-2011 03:11 PM

How to disable convertible top......

Can anyone suggest the best way to disable the convertible top in a 2001 XK8 ? What is the best way to do this....the reason is, I do not want the top being lowered by anyone else but me, and the manual makes reference to several fuses..(under the hood, under the dash, in the trunk....etc.) but I'm not sure which one is the most appropriate one to pull. Or if there is a better way to do this.....what would it be ? I want to disable the "Roof" switch directly under the radio, so that the top will not go down when engaged.
I know it sounds weird....but any suggestions ?

Thanks!

test point 05-21-2011 04:45 PM

Fuse 14 (40A) in the trunk powers the pump motor. Pulling that will certainly disable the top operation.

Magnetvision 06-07-2011 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by test point (Post 353948)
Fuse 14 (40A) in the trunk powers the pump motor. Pulling that will certainly disable the top operation.

Thanks!...One more question...is it also okay to disconnect the connector at the Hydraulic Pump above the cd changer in the trunk to achieve the same result ? Or is pulling the fuse a better option...

Brutal 06-07-2011 04:56 PM

Just open the "t" handle on the pump. This bypasses fluid, the back windows will go up/down but the top wont

Magnetvision 06-07-2011 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal (Post 361835)
Just open the "t" handle on the pump. This bypasses fluid, the back windows will go up/down but the top wont

By doing this...will it also reduce the possibility of the hose leaks that are so common to convertibles ? (by the way Thanks so much for your advice)...

Dennis07 06-07-2011 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Magnetvision (Post 361843)
By doing this...will it also reduce the possibility of the hose leaks that are so common to convertibles ? (by the way Thanks so much for your advice)...

It sure will. What Brutal has advised decouples the pump from the hydraulic hoses so no pressure can be developed there. No pressure, no hose failures.

Edit: just thought of this ... If you go this way, do not hold down the top up/down rocker switch for extended periods. The hydraulic pump will be flailing away trying to make things move, and all of that energy can go nowhere else other than heating the pump and the hydraulic fluid. Something on the order of 10 seconds would not be a problem; something on the order of a minute, not so good.

plums 06-07-2011 07:37 PM

How about mounting an old ignition switch somewhere? One of the old style dash mounted ignition switches. No key, no go.

There are also keyed switches available for equipment safety. Most locksmiths or electrical supply houses should carry them.