XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you turn off the Valet Mode? RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool How do you turn off the Valet Mode? RESOLVED

My 2000 XK8 remote FOB does not work. I accidently pushed the Valet Mode button and now the Trunk Release switch and the Gas Door switch located on the lefthand under dash panel to the left of the steering column do not work. I can open the trunk with the black handled key and can manually open the Gas Door from inside the trunk. However, my Owners manual does not say how to get rid of the Valet Mode so I can open the Trunk and Gas Door from the two buttons on the under dash panel. Is there a fuse I can pull and reinsert that will clear the Valet Mode, or do I need to disconnect the battery to reset it?

Old 01-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I believe the dash switches are faulty. Mine doesn't even work on my 05. I would try to get to the wires on the switch and short them out one time. That should work being as that is what the switch does

The following users liked this post:
Lynnbolden (07-28-2017)
Old 01-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I believe that unlocking the driver door will reset the valet mode.

Devil505 (12-31-2021)
Old 01-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks test point. I'm gonna try that.
Regards

Old 01-08-2011, 07:56 AM

You need to use your remote (FOB) to unlock the car then it will turn off. Had the same problem, but my battery had died in my key fob. Good luck.

jnunez (04-15-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 06:38 PM

Unlocking the driver's door with the black headed key has reset the Valet Mode. Thanks so much for your responses - don't know why this info was not in the Owners Manual, but it is not. You guys are great! Thanks again.
Next project is to replace the key fob battery and reprogram the remote...There are lots of threads here on doing this...again, thank you.

JimC64 (12-18-2013)
Old 01-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Received 33 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Key fob or key unlock resets Valet mode-reprogramming key fob

Key fob or key unlock resets valet mode. I just bought two new key fobs off of eBay and got many many different ways to program them. First the eBay seller stated that it must be programmed by the Jaguar Dealer or high tech locksmith. Made appointment at Jaguar Dealer to program them for $135.00. Searched this forum and got several different ways to program them. Here is what I learned today. If the FCC # is the same as the original, then you can program them, NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE ELSE STATES. The eBay seller stated that I got the wrong key fobs and told me to send them back and he would send me the right ones and charge me more.

My FCC ID CWTWB1U322. My original key fob part # LJE2610-AB, but the eBay seller sold me key fob part # XR83-15K601-AA. The FCC ID # is the Manufacturer part # and the key fob # is the ignition system part type. On this forum I found a programing procedure that worked for my original key fob LJE2610-AB, but it would not work for my new key fobs part # XR83-15K601-AA. I finally found a UK website that had a slightly different programming procedure and IT WORKED. BOTH KEY FOBS WORK GREAT AND AT A GREAT DISTANCE.

No one with a 1997-2006 Jaguar XK8 should have to pay for programming their remote key fob. Here is the UK procedure.

Jaguar XK8 remote programming

Key in ignition without turning to any position.

Hold turn signal in the flash to pass position, pulled towards you.

Turn key one position (aux) while holding the turn signal handle towards you.

Flash the turn signal handle towards you 4 or 5 times and you should hear a confirmation "chirp" from the security sounder. Also the security light next to the park shift lever will flash on.

After the chirp press all the buttons one at a time on the remote you wish to program listening for the chirp after each press, or a different sounding error tone meaning the programming didn't work.

To program two or more remotes, which will be required if more than one will be used, follow step 5 procedures one remote after another until all have been programmed.

Turn off the ignition and test all features of the remote(s).

If you did not get the initial chirp confirming the programming, or learning, mode, there could be either a problem with the security module or a problem with the procedure. The flashes after turning the key require a certain amount of feel, very rapid or very slow flashing will not work. The 4 or 5 flashes should take about 3 seconds, not rapid fire.

If your having difficulties, check to make sure the remote(s) have good batteries and are placed in the remote correctly, or change the speed of the flashing of the turn signal handle.

All my key fobs work great and my original key fob has greater distance now. Good luck Ron

The following 2 users liked this post by Linda's Jag:
Felipe Pr (03-24-2014), RCSign (02-25-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Angry How do you turn off the Valet Mode?

I just pressed my valet mode by accident, and now I can not get in my truck. My remote has new batteries but it does not work. How can I turn off the valet mode without my remote? 1998 jaguar XK8

Thank you for anything, Kevin

Old 02-24-2013, 06:29 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by radiodjkev
I just pressed my valet mode by accident, and now I can not get in my truck. My remote has new batteries but it does not work. How can I turn off the valet mode without my remote? 1998 jaguar XK8

Thank you for anything, Kevin
Welcome to the forum radiodjkev,

The answer is in post #6 on this thread:

Originally Posted by Bob0927
Unlocking the driver's door with the black headed key has reset the Valet Mode. ................
When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see.

In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice on posting to the forum.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 02-24-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 PM

I have tried unlocking the drivers doors with black headed key, I guess my ignition key is that one, it has a black plastic body with a jaguar emblem on it...my remote does not work. what options do I have without spending money?
Thank you for the welcome!

jjohnson128 (11-20-2016)
Old 02-25-2013, 06:10 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by radiodjkev
I have tried unlocking the drivers doors with black headed key, I guess my ignition key is that one, it has a black plastic body with a jaguar emblem on it...my remote does not work. what options do I have without spending money?
Thank you for the welcome!
The black headed key is a Master which will open the driver's door and the Luggage compartment.

as for the fob, without spending any money...........not much more than put up with it.

If the fob used to work but has stopped working, the contacts may need cleaning or the batteries replacing.

If it's never worked since you got the vehicle, the lowest cost option is to source a matching replacement on eBay or similar. Check the numbers on the back of the case for the series and make sure you get one with the same series numbers.

As detailed earlier in this thread, you can program fobs yourself but keys are a dealer program job.

Graham

Old 02-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New key purchase experience

I had lost my spare black key and decided it's best to have one on hand -- there's no independent locksmith that's able to make a new one in an emergency because it's chipped and must be done by a Jaguar dealer.

Long and short of it: I was charged $262. by my local Jaguar dealer!

How absolutely outrageous!!!

Sam

Old 02-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

I don't have a Valet key and went ahead and disconncted the wires from behind the switch so that someone else wouldn't get into trouble with it.

MRomanik (02-26-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Default Thanks everyone, Problem solved

Thanks everyone, Problem solved. I cleaned the contacts on my remote,
after unlocking the car with remote, or opening truck with remote valet mode went off.

Now for the next problem. My Transmission appears to be stuck in 5th gear...
My trans does not down shift. Once I get moving it works great in 5th gear
and on the freeway perfect. I have no idea on this one, it just started that way one morning about a week ago. I have a Trans fault light on the dash,
reverse works fine, and if I try to manually put car in lower gear it still stays in 5th (or top gear).

Old 02-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi kev,
Just look at the top of the XK8/XKR page and you will see a new thread button. Just click and away you go.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to You turn off the Valet Mode?

Hello, this will be My first contribution to this magnificent FORUM, hope it help.

To disconnect the Valet Mode, just use the black key to open the trunk through the xk8 sign at the back of the car. That will work, just happen to Me right now.

JimC64 (12-18-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Welcome to the forum. When you have time, please visit the new member area and introduce yourself:

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

JimC64 (12-18-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 02:35 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

i cannot turn my black key in the lock far enough to unlock, so i have to use the button inside the car every time

Old 12-19-2013, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi Dodger,
Try a bit of WD40 and then working the lock with the key. If that doesn't work then your only other option is to strip it down. It could be the linkage inside needs adjusting.

Hope this helps,

Old 12-19-2013, 03:29 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

it wants to turn but i dont want to force it

Quick Reply: How do you turn off the Valet Mode? RESOLVED