Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   How many hours in a day - mechanics time? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/how-many-hours-day-mechanics-time-142690/)

scottatl 05-11-2015 11:08 PM

How many hours in a day - mechanics time?

I always find it either funny or disgusting how they count time. My wife's car needed a new radiator, the dealer wanted a grand. They said it was a 4.5 hour job. I got a nice new unit from Amazon for $50 and it took me at the most 45 minutes. I would imagine if I did it a second time I could do it in under 30 minutes, maybe 15.

How many hours do you think a mechanic can book in an 8 hour day?

Doug 05-12-2015 07:44 AM

It depends SO much on the variables--- experience and 'work mix' being key elements. And, of course, which labor guide is being used... if any.

Back when I was in the business we used to like seeing 10-12 hours/day from experienced line mechanics.

If a shop just makes up its own labor times then the amount of billing hours is essentially unlimited. In your example I'd like to see what the various labor guides actually show for the job. The shop was probably pulling the 4.5 hour quote out of.....well, you know.

Many shops find it best to not even mention 'labor hours' when working up a quote, especially if they're just gonna fabricate them. Just quote a dollar amount....which actually makes a lot more sense.

Cheers
DD

scottatl 05-12-2015 10:03 AM

I agree, I have no problem with the shop trying to charge a grand (they said they could use aftermarket parts and bring it to 700). I can then select to use them or not, but it drives me crazy seeing the "standard hours" that just insult my intelligence.

stetson1 05-12-2015 11:14 AM

shortly after buying my 99 xk8, back in '09, with 36k on it, the left rear 1/4 window stopped working and I called local dealer in Orlando and they quoted me a price of $2300 and if I recall, said it was a 9+hr job! WHOA!!! for $2300, they should be giving FREE cruises to the Bahamas, WITH some spending money!!!

the service 'guy' called me back an hour later to remind me that if I brought it in that they would provide me with a FREE loaner car, as the job would require that it be left overnight.

needless to say, I said goodbye and have never talked with anybody there since!!!

one happened to be on EBAY at that exact time from a guy in Brooklyn, NY, a 'rebuilt' one for $260 and I found a local indy shop that works on Jags that installed it for a FLAT $300, so a total of $560.

ive since done it on the right side, myself and although it's not terribly difficult to do if you're mechanically inclined and have the few tools required, managed to do it in about 6hrs, with not the best spot to be doing it.

all dealerships are different....you just have to be careful and smart about it.

good luck!

aamcobrian 11-21-2020 03:53 AM

Mechanics Time

I have found most mechanics undercharge for their time. $125 an hour the shop charges usually means $25 an hour to the tech. Most with any skills have probably $110K in tools and can book usually 60 hours in that 40 hour week. really sharp ones can do twice that and their making 35 to 45 an hour. If a tech shows up in my shop and cant complete in usually 1/2 book time he is on the way out. The book is just a guide and should be used as that not the bible.

GGG 11-21-2020 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by scottatl (Post 1226192)
I always find it either funny or disgusting how they count time. My wife's car needed a new radiator, the dealer wanted a grand. They said it was a 4.5 hour job. I got a nice new unit from Amazon for $50 and it took me at the most 45 minutes. I would imagine if I did it a second time I could do it in under 30 minutes, maybe 15. .......

1. It may be different in the USA but here in the UK, franchised Dealers are given times published by JLR covering every repair and maintenance job and that is the time they bill regardless of whether it actually takes less or more time. Franchised Dealers also do it the Jaguar way as detailed in JTIS. Did you read that to see the "official" procedure? I'll bet you didn't depressurise the climate control system or drain the cooling system in 45 minutes.

2. Independents can charge what they like.

3. Owners can cut as many corners as they like. :icon_lol:

Graham

STLTHMSTA 11-21-2020 06:15 AM

I once took my wife's car in for an A/C repair. A local chain tire store/repair shop tried me for $1500 for a new compressor that I suspected wasn't the problem. They also told me that a compressor clutch couldn't be had be itself but $50 and 2 days later it was at my door. That didn't fix it but wasn't wasted money as the old one was worn some.
I took it elsewhere thinking it was the low pressure switch, it was. $340, switch and recharge later she's cool as a cucumber. Most shops are thieves and an honest shop has a hard time making a living. That's not right. TM

Doug 11-21-2020 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by STLTHMSTA (Post 2319160)
. Most shops are thieves and an honest shop has a hard time making a living. That's not right. TM

There are honest shops in my neck of the woods that are thriving. But it's entirely possibly for an honest shop to fail......because being honest doesn't necessarily mean you're competent nor business-savvy.

And a dishonest shop can succeed if they do a good job of fixing cars and are not too bold in their deceptions.

Cheers
DD

Doug 11-21-2020 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by GGG (Post 2319151)
1. It may be different in the USA

Most shops use some sort of labor time guide.....which they follow loosely or strictly. Some shops pull the numbers out of their.....well, you know. And different states have different regulations, enforced to varying degrees. In other words, it's all over the board :)

Franchised Dealers also do it the Jaguar way as detailed in JTIS.
Here's in the 'states dealers often devise their own methods. If there's a better/easier/faster way to get the job done with good results, they'll do it. Sometimes there's a better way. Sometimes not. I'd really be surprised to find UK dealers following exact JTIS procedure in every case, every repair.

Cheers
DD