Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   How to remove leather door panel? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/how-remove-leather-door-panel-209011/)

Texasbill 10-06-2018 07:24 PM

How to remove leather door panel?

I'd like to remove the leather door panel that is just above the arm rest. This panel is elongated and covered in leather but the leather is coming off the panel. I'm assuming it will just pop off with the use of a panel tool, but I thought I'd ask before breaking something!

Johnken 10-06-2018 07:36 PM

It is part of the door card.you will be pulling the entire door card off for this job. Sounds complicated but a 5 minutes job after u did it once or twice.

would you like instructions for door card?

John

StuG 10-06-2018 07:49 PM

JTIS - XK8 Door Trim Panel.pdf

Texasbill 10-06-2018 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Johnken (Post 1972029)
It is part of the door card.you will be pulling the entire door card off for this job. Sounds complicated but a 5 minutes job after u did it once or twice.

John

I assume door card is the entire inside door trim? I did look at a Youtube video by Sam that showed how to remove the door panel but I was hoping that small panel above the arm rest could be removed from the front. If you are talking about the entire door piece, can you remove this panel from the back side? I will need to remove it to install clips or glue the leather back on. Please send what you have!

Texasbill 10-06-2018 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Texasbill (Post 1972034)
I assume door card is the entire inside door trim? I did look at a Youtube video by Sam that showed how to remove the door panel but I was hoping that small panel above the arm rest could be removed from the front. If you are talking about the entire door piece, can you remove this panel from the back side? I will need to remove it to install clips or glue the leather back on. Please send what you have!

Just to be clear, this is the panel I am referring to. Also, the arrow shows where the leather has detached from this panel. This is what I would like to fix.https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...dd0e02cc51.jpg

Johnken 10-06-2018 10:22 PM

Texas bill, even if the answer is yes - there is a way to remove the leather without removing the door card - and I don't know if that's true, Bill pulling the door card is so easy IMO it just doesn't make sense not
to do so.

If you pull the entire door card, you'll have access from so many different angles and you can take it to your work bench.

Bill it is a 5 minute job, maybe 20 the first time.

So, sorry but no, I don't know if you can work the leather with door card installed.
john

rothwell 10-07-2018 09:02 PM

That center insert is not removable unless you remove the entire door card.

Here is a pic of what to expect after you get the entire thing off.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...74e2825702.jpg

Dr. D 10-07-2018 09:23 PM

FWIW:
I (along with some others) suggest using Harbor Freight Trim Clip Pliers or similar. I learned this after I cracked my door card while just pulling the card by using my fingers as in the video. Also, I now have cheat marks at each clip location.

Texasbill 11-20-2018 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken (Post 1972029)

John

I decided to remove the passenger interior door panel to replace the gaskets around the exterior handle (rubber oval around handle). 5 minute job huh?? I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to remove the small plastic screw cover under the interior door handle to get to the screw. I've tried all sorts of screw drivers, but it is impossible to get enough angle to pop it out. I've tried small pick tools also with NOTHING removing that small plug. I've watch the video and for Sam, it just "popped" out. No luck here. Any advice?

Johnken 11-20-2018 09:46 AM

Sure, I used a dental pick the 1st time to pop the screw cover off. If you don't have one of those, grab the smallest flat blade (jewlers screw driver?) You can find.

with either tool, look for the tiny indent around the screw cover. Press the tool in, lever the cover out. Twist the flat blade to wedge the plug up millimer at a time to get a grip. Heck, given the price of pne of these screwdrivers (cheap) you could put it in a vice and bend the end of the flat blade to provide more leverage.

of course, keep the other hand to block the cover from shooting off into a haystack. Hint: after battling that the 1st time I put the plug in backwards. It'll stick up a bit (good leverage for next time) but no one without a magnifying glass wil l ever notice.

you know, as i typed that last paragraph it occurred to me: if backwards = one side wil l stick up a bit, then that could be part of removal difficulty. It comes out at a small angle, not straight in and out! Well keep that in mind and let us know how you do.

John

Texasbill 11-20-2018 10:26 AM

I think the cover was installed without regard to where the indents were. I finally got it off.....but a little scratched!