XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i can't sleep...2005 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 03:50 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

"I run my fogs on my xtype, but have been pulled over by cops, so i want the option on this car to turn on manually... "

Very, very pretty.

Re the fog lights: why did the cops pull you over? I constantly see cars round my way with an entire grill full of blinding lights.

P.S. My 2005 has literally been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Almost zero issues in well over 60,000 miles of ownership. Best of luck!

Old 12-15-2017, 07:53 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Where locally have you been bringing the car for all of this work? And out of curiosity why are you doing this? The car already looked great in the pics when you originally bought it.

Doug

Thank you! But as Billy said about women...well, I get bored easily. Also, there were some very light spots near the hood vent & a spot on the trunk that the clear coat was fading on. I got several quotes to do a respray and nothing was under $1,300
You couldn't see it from 5 feet away, but to me, it was really an eyesore (I admit, I am a bit OCD)

AND, my other Jaguar is the exact same color...even the leather is the same...that annoyed me the most.

So hopefully in a week or so, I will post pics of the new look. It will be a total makeover. totally different.

I get everything done at Promax Autosport. A good friend knows them well, and they have done a few things for me, and I have always been happy.

They are currently wrapping a Rolls Royce in Tiffany blue, and a Lamborghini in Silver chrome. No, I'm not that "artsy"

Old 12-15-2017, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Stamford
"I run my fogs on my xtype, but have been pulled over by cops, so i want the option on this car to turn on manually... "

Very, very pretty.

Re the fog lights: why did the cops pull you over? I constantly see cars round my way with an entire grill full of blinding lights.

P.S. My 2005 has literally been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Almost zero issues in well over 60,000 miles of ownership. Best of luck!

the cops here will pull you over for anything. it is LA

that's good to hear about your car. how many miles are on it now? I've had mine 11 months, and have put 14,000 miles on it, and I work from home.
I just love driving anywhere!
seems we have twins, but not for long!

Old 12-16-2017, 12:02 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Just turned over to 118,000 this month. And runs like new. Had the transmission fluid changed last year (late, I know) and the guy said it looks great inside. Right now I have to replace some dash bulbs, fiddle with the CD changer and maybe replace the brake switch again. Otherwise, it's been brakes (once), oil, thermostat tower and some suspension bushings. Don't recall any other repairs. I did install the RealGuage temp gauge for peace of mind. You should, too. In the Spring, I will do the hoses and a few other preventive maintenance items (unless circumstances force me to do them sooner).

The following users liked this post:
prettybluefin (12-22-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stamford
Just turned over to 118,000 this month. And runs like new. Had the transmission fluid changed last year (late, I know) and the guy said it looks great inside. Right now I have to replace some dash bulbs, fiddle with the CD changer and maybe replace the brake switch again. Otherwise, it's been brakes (once), oil, thermostat tower and some suspension bushings. Don't recall any other repairs. I did install the RealGuage temp gauge for peace of mind. You should, too. In the Spring, I will do the hoses and a few other preventive maintenance items (unless circumstances force me to do them sooner).
Nice to hear! I have had mine almost a year, and it had tons of records of being maintained at the dealership, so hoping it will remain trouble free.

You should do the LED dash bulbs. Much brighter. Not too hard, as I did it myself in the parking lot of the auto parts store...

I have a bulb out behind my temperature control area, and on the J gate. I hear that is a pain to do...

Is the real gauge a straight swap? I have to read more about it.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Question Real Gauge Coolant Gauge

Bluefin,

Go to: thejagwrangler.com and check out the Real Gauge coolant gauge for $129.95....I BOUGHT ONE....it's a good idea! Mine is still in the Box....When you changed your Speedo Bulbs you were about 1/3 of the way there.....Look at the installation instructions before you order, as it gets pretty complicated after a while........Mine is still in the Box......

I thought I would change out my Bulbs using your instructions and now I'm sorta at a loss.....I need Bulbs but don't want to go in there twice......Just can't get myself up for all this stuff at once.....Probably take 4 or 5 hours......

Sorta wish I hadn't now but it's a good idea........Well????

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 12-17-2017, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Smile The Texas Coupe with some changes!

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
Nice to hear! I have had mine almost a year, and it had tons of records of being maintained at the dealership, so hoping it will remain trouble free.

You should do the LED dash bulbs. Much brighter. Not too hard, as I did it myself in the parking lot of the auto parts store...

I have a bulb out behind my temperature control area, and on the J gate. I hear that is a pain to do...

Is the real gauge a straight swap? I have to read more about it.
Bluefin,
Since you've started your "Change" of Color and such, I decided to make a change or two myself! Gotta' keep up with the LA Folks!

I finally found a XKR-100 Front Bumper Emblem! Found it in Scotland! The XKR-100 came out in 2001 to honor Sir William Lyons' 100th Birthday with a limited run of 500 models released. They all had the "R" Option Package and since I have never seen or heard of one, I decided to make my own....to a certain extent...I found the Front Bumper Badge they used and the Tread Plates, which say XKR on them. It's already an "R" option, so I didn't have to do anything there, with the exception of calling it an upgraded version!
Back in Europe in 2005, Jaguar unveiled the 4.2-S, which was the last XK to roll out based on the 1996 design. So, I've got a 4.2-S Badge on my Left rear under the Tail-light....which are "Victory-Edition", they were produced in 2005 but were called 2006 in the US. I'm sending Photos of these items as I know you just can't wait to see them!

Billy Clyde in Houston

XKR-100 Front Bumper Badge

XKR-100 Bumper Badge installed on XKR

Victory-Edition Tail-Lights & 4.2-S Badge

Old 12-18-2017, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Bluefin,
Since you've started your "Change" of Color and such, I decided to make a change or two myself! Gotta' keep up with the LA Folks!

I finally found a XKR-100 Front Bumper Emblem! Found it in Scotland! The XKR-100 came out in 2001 to honor Sir William Lyons' 100th Birthday with a limited run of 500 models released. They all had the "R" Option Package and since I have never seen or heard of one, I decided to make my own....to a certain extent...I found the Front Bumper Badge they used and the Tread Plates, which say XKR on them. It's already an "R" option, so I didn't have to do anything there, with the exception of calling it an upgraded version!
Back in Europe in 2005, Jaguar unveiled the 4.2-S, which was the last XK to roll out based on the 1996 design. So, I've got a 4.2-S Badge on my Left rear under the Tail-light....which are "Victory-Edition", they were produced in 2005 but were called 2006 in the US. I'm sending Photos of these items as I know you just can't wait to see them!

Billy Clyde in Houston

XKR-100 Front Bumper Badge

XKR-100 Bumper Badge installed on XKR

Victory-Edition Tail-Lights & 4.2-S Badge
very cool, and it is awesome that you like to customize your cat!
wait till you see mine. you won't believe it's the same car. I have no idea how it is gonna pull together, but these guys are amazing, so I trust them fully...

they are fully taking each panel off (lots of cheap custom places wrap on the car, this place removes everything)

a list of what is being done:

full body wrap (color is a surprise)
repaint of all wheels to a different color
repaint of Brembos to different color, new Brembo decal
Black Alcantara headliner, pillars, speaker shelf, sunvisors
all dove grey plastic inside painted black
new leather on steering wheel
smoked (tinted) front markers (yes the clear ones!!!)
smoked fog lights (i rarely use them anyways)
Black front grill

so yeah, I'm being patient. In the meantime, driving the X-type that has a sunroof, and really really really craving a convertible next!!! or should I put a sunroof in the coupe???!!! haha

Old 12-22-2017, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
repaint of Brembos to different color, new Brembo decal
Can you share any detail about this? Specific paint? Specifics about the decal? eBay has so many options... Thanks.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by fmertz
Can you share any detail about this? Specific paint? Specifics about the decal? eBay has so many options... Thanks.
The custom shop uses a heat resistant automotive paint. Mine is going to be semi-metallic, so I think there must be a clearcoat as well. They do all in-shop printing of any logos etc, also high quality (heat resistant) as they mainly work on supercars...

fmertz (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 01:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default just put new tires in back

315 35 20 very tight but fits. Discount tire took the tire off and then realized they could not re inflate the tire because they didn't have the adapter. finally jerry rigged and got me out of there 90 min later.
love the look. Just got the xkr 2003 last month 86,000 miles on it. Blk on Blk convertible

Old 12-24-2017, 08:03 PM

Just in time for the new year!
All pics are unedited.

Just picked up the Coupe late last night. Needs a few minor tweaks, but here is the new color. Wrap color is Gloss Glacier Grey by 3M 1080 It is color change, meaning the front end of the car is in the shade, and appears as a glossy dark greyish blue black. When the sun hits it, it is metallic as seen on the boot area. BBS wheels are gloss metallic graphite grey, Brembos are metallic purple.

Black Alcantara headliner, A pillars, Rear speaker deck...speaker cover dyed black, all plastic painted black.

BBS wheels are newly painted, Brembos Newly painted, new decals

In the shade

Metallic when the sun hits it. This shows the true daytime color...getting new JAGUAR, 4.2 and XKR badges for the boot, and replacing the R side badges, so left all emblems off...

Smoked fog lights and side markers. BBS are now metallic graphite grey. Metallic purple Brembos. Selfie pic

later afternoon...

black matte grill and air vent, smoked fog lights.

Hood vents were tricky area to wrap, but got it done

Glimpse of the shocking metallic purple Brembos <br/>(new BBS lugs are coming anyday now. the others were stuck, so had to be sawed off)

booty view

Based on my obsession with Aston Martin Sea Storm...

Last edited by prettybluefin; 12-24-2017 at 08:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by prettybluefin:
cjd777 (12-26-2017), Don B (01-07-2018)
Old 12-24-2017, 10:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cool. I do wraps.

Not my fortay but can do.
signthug@yahoo.com.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Cool I'm at a loss as to what to say!

Pretty Bluefin,

I'll need to get used to this....I really loved the way it looked in Silver and to make this drastic change has sort of taken my breath away! I understand that you plan to replace all the emblems with new shiny Chrome ones but I'm not sure about the Smoked Fogs, Repeaters and Side Marker Lights. The purpose of the Clear Lens was to make the contrast with the Dark Base color on mine, and now you have changed to Dark Grey! The Wheel color was a big deal here in Houston several years ago and looks good on your Wheels. Also the Brembo's color is good for you! Be sure to protect your Wheels and Brake Calipers with Jaguar's Locking Lug Nuts, as the "Boy's" will be checking them out quite often...and what's the deal on the Tail-lights? They look a lot more like the Victory-Edition as I can see clear at the top now.....Have you changed that up a little?

Here's the bottom line: Color is OK! "I know you love it!" but your Jag is dark now and you need contrast.....Go to Clear Lens; Fog, Repeater and Side Markers and dump the Black Grill............I have a set of Crystal Repeaters that I will send you that will go well with your Clear Markers and Fog Lens. Just let me know! In all, you've done well.....Just a little experimenting and you will have it!

Oh! may I call you Ms. Alcantara now......

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Billy Clyde

Last edited by bcprice36; 12-24-2017 at 11:46 PM. Reason: added something
prettybluefin (12-24-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 12:02 AM

haha Billy, i LOVE the all dark look. the beauty of wrap is that I can change it every year or as often as I want.

The tails are the same, it's just the really bright sunny day making them look clear. They are pretty dark tint, but the angle makes them look like Victories...

I'm going to be changing the whole front grill, so stay tuned for that

2017 was about the coupe being modern & cool
2018 is more dark and aggressive
2019 ???

One thing, it sure shows dust waaaay more than Platinum Silver did!

merry christmas and happy new year to you and everyone who has shared stories, advice, help and cheer. i have learned SOOO much in almost a year of being on here. mainly, NOT to panic when the amber warning light comes on, it's probably a low battery! hahaha

Old 12-25-2017, 06:49 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Congrats on having the work done. Did they say how long you can keep the wrap on? I ask as I assume there is some time when it fuses with the paint. Kind of like stone guard that’s “removable “— my 575 has that issue.

Best!

Old 12-25-2017, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by dsd
Congrats on having the work done. Did they say how long you can keep the wrap on? I ask as I assume there is some time when it fuses with the paint. Kind of like stone guard that’s “removable “— my 575 has that issue.

Best!
For the 3M 1080 series, they say 7 years, I have seen a friend's wrap that is 4 years old, parked mainly outside (but he wipes it down daily) that is good as new.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Red face It's time for Groit's!

Pretty Bluefin,

I just checked Groit's Garage for what you need each morning and they say "Go with the Speed Shine Detailer on your Plastic Wrap Car, it is safe and effective on Wheels, Chrome and exterior Plastic trim!" Don't forget the Microfiber towel (Deep Nap!).....For best results...........!

Billy Clyde

Old 12-26-2017, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Pretty Bluefin,

I just checked Groit's Garage for what you need each morning and they say "Go with the Speed Shine Detailer on your Plastic Wrap Car, it is safe and effective on Wheels, Chrome and exterior Plastic trim!" Don't forget the Microfiber towel (Deep Nap!).....For best results...........!

Billy Clyde
yes, I've been using speed shine for a year. I swear by Griot's speed shine and tire shine spray. the best.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:05 AM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Wrap looks great, thinking of doing the same to our XJ.

Just an FYI on the 3M 1080 series, though the warranty on the material is up to 7 years, it is designed to be removable up to 3 years after installation.

Dsd, I’m curious as to what issue exactly you had with removing the stoneguard on your 575?

Attached Thumbnails i can't sleep...2005 XKR-cbbfa0db-075d-417b-882a-03ec403a8ed9.png   i can't sleep...2005 XKR-76ffe55a-2ae1-4c47-894e-9b87be22f0ae.png