XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I'm done with Jaguars

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 12:35 AM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Default I think I'm done with Jaguars

My 05 base XK8 was hit last month on the driver left front side sitting still at 10 MPH. No sheet metal damage only a front side marker lens and a broken fog lamp bracket. Original estimate $1600. After removing the front bumper cover it was determined that frame is bent, new estimate $9000! Car has been totaled. It's been a great car for 2 yrs. ownership. 98000 miles and it's gone! It was valued at $11500 and I will end up at around $5700 after the loan's been paid off.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:57 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

Graham

Old 01-04-2018, 05:39 AM
Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

Sorry to hear about your loss, but you can blame the pc brigade for insisting that our cars are made so pedestrian friendly that they are now as flimsy as a sheet of paper and fold at the slightest tap.
Really annoys me.
So many great motors going through the crusher.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:24 AM
Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts
Angry

Ooooh **** - sorry to hear this !

my car was also hit while standing still in a parking slot outside a warehouse, a old woman hit it in the side front with her big *** old Volvo, parking space was almost completely empty, but of course the stupid b...tch must park her **** car next to my Jag, anyway, my insurance pay's for everything and estimates costs to fix, front Arden spoiler, left side white side indicator, left side wheel house, new paint etc etc is 4k$, a major problem is that the Arden spoiler was damaged and cracked and these are hard to get and long delivery time. all in all - my car is scheduled for repairs and new paint on the 19th of March :-(
but thank God nothing was bend on the frame or chassi etc.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

I'm truly sorry about your car. I know how I would feel if this happened to one of my cars. You posted once about finding an XK8 at the local Pic n Pull and I got there as soon as I could to get was I could use.

Now down to business. What are your plans with the car? Are you going to buy it back or are you going to let the insurance company have it.
Don't give it to the insurance company without letting me have a chance to look at it. I might be able to save it depending on how bad the frame is. I have my donor cars that should have most of the parts needed. If it can't be save I could transplant the best of your car into my next XK8 project. I wasn't going to buy anymore projects, but I just hate to see a beautiful car go to the wrecker.
Send me a PM and we can discuss the options.

The following users liked this post:
JimmyL (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:04 AM

I released it to a company called CO PART. Supposed to tow it out today. It's at All Foreign and Domestic body shop on Navy Dr. in Stockton. It's light blue metallic thru Kemper insurance. I don't want it. It drives fine but the passenger side hood latch won't catch.

BobRoy (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by grantorino62
I released it to a company called CO PART. Supposed to tow it out today. It's at All Foreign and Domestic body shop on Navy Dr. in Stockton. It's light blue metallic thru Kemper insurance. I don't want it. It drives fine but the passenger side hood latch won't catch.
That's OK. I was just thinking that you were close by and it was worth a shot.
Just because you don't have a Jaguar anymore please check in once in a while. You have given useful information to the site and I'm sure you have more that can be useful.

Thanks, Bob

Old 01-04-2018, 09:53 AM

Thank you. I will. I'm still on an Allante forum having owned 3. Still on a Cadillac Eldo forum having owned 3. Jaguar forum having owned 3! Maybe that's my lucky number? Oh! On the BMW forum having owned 3.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:08 AM
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Copart? Strange, I just totaled my 2011 Volvo C30 two days ago, and Copart just picked it up last night. After the insurance company totals the car, they keep them and auction them off for parts. I would take the money and buy another XKR. Wife is going to buy a another C30

Old 01-04-2018, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 652 Likes on 317 Posts

copart...I suspect that you will see your old car for sale (auction) on their website.

wj

Old 01-04-2018, 08:31 PM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by stevep10
Sorry to hear about your loss, but you can blame the pc brigade for insisting that our cars are made so pedestrian friendly that they are now as flimsy as a sheet of paper and fold at the slightest tap.
Really annoys me.
So many great motors going through the crusher.
actually our cars are quite stoutly built. they are very heavy for their size and the both the unit body and exterior panels are of a very high gauge. my friend in the body repair business has always been impressed with how well they are designed and built. he considers them tougher than some of the old American iron that he is so fond of. the nose piece that is employed is more pedestrian friendly, but is actually less vulnerable than that of the old E-types and is just as prone to damage as any other painted bumper.

the thread starter's car is easily repairable. the time cost in the repair and the fact that the cars are at their lowest on the depreciation scale. if the value of the vehicle was higher, it would be a relatively easy fix. if they ever become more desirable, you would see this repair in a minute. what will happen now is a repair shop might purchase the salvage and perform the repair during their downtime. i see this all of the time with reltively new total losses (write-offs). oftentimes the status does not appear on the title or databases, hence a higher value car for someone with the resources.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,342 Likes on 725 Posts

Aww jeez, I'm sorry for your loss.

I really wish these were worth more than the cost of fix them. Barely a scratch and it's totaled.

Might as well total the ones that have clear-coat failure.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:03 AM
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8

I really wish these were worth more than the cost of fix them. Barely a scratch and it's totaled.

Might as well total the ones that have clear-coat failure.
Living in the Palm Springs area where we have extreme heat, sun and wind blown sand I see a lot of cars with peeling clear coat. Have to say I have yet to see any Jags with that problem. Guessing most are kept garaged.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:30 AM
Received 201 Likes on 103 Posts

Done with XK8's? That's like saying you're done with redheads (or blondes, or brunettes). It's more likely that you're still in deep shock, disbelief, and sorrow, as any of us would be. We feel your pain. It will be ok; you just need some time to grieve and you'll be ready to date again. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on you buying another one --- even after you look at all the other offerings out there. A XK8 just has such sex appeal... Hang in there and don't do anything foolish or hasty.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,342 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by MiragePro
Living in the Palm Springs area where we have extreme heat, sun and wind blown sand I see a lot of cars with peeling clear coat. Have to say I have yet to see any Jags with that problem. Guessing most are kept garaged.
Here in Puerto Rico, where its either rainy or very sunny, I see many cars with failing clear-coats, including Jags. My previous XK8 had that problem until I sent it to get a respray, and the XKR I recently inherited is starting to display that problem on the roof.

I've seen a few other XK8/Rs with that problem.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
+1

Sorry to hear this grantorino.

Mike

Old 01-09-2018, 03:35 AM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

My 02 XKR started smoking and having some leaks. I'm getting tired of fixing it here and there. I love the car, the looks, the Rarity, but I might just opt for a c5 Corvette.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:40 AM

I believe I've seen your car as around town. I'm located in Stockton myself.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:57 AM

LossKing the Jag is a light metallic blue, dark blue top with aftermarket BBS looking wheels, the BMW is silver and the Mercedes is dark grey almost black lowered an inch with 6 spoke 19's. I as well am looking at a C5 Vette as the Jag replacement. Same scenario, great car and under valued.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:21 AM

LossKing the Jag is a light metallic blue, dark blue top with aftermarket BBS looking wheels, the BMW is silver and the Mercedes is dark grey almost black lowered an inch with 6 spoke 19's. I as well am looking at a C5 Vette as the Jag replacement. Same scenario, great car and under valued.
I've seen both before, as I work for Safeway and delivered in the area. Beautiful cars, and that has to be the cleanest benz in town. I know a C5 is more common but I don't want to jump out of a jag and just grab anything. I'll either get a C5, an XFR, or possibly an x150 xkr. I love Jags but I also wouldn't mind a C5 to mod. After all, that is the "dream" car that I grew up loving. Though I'd love an amg model benz, I'd hate the maintenance bill more than the Jag. Still, I look at the car and think to myself "how can I get rid of this?!" And then my abs module goes off and I'm reminded. Lol

grantorino62 (01-10-2018)

Quick Reply: I think I'm done with Jaguars