XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If someone replies quickly - i can tackle this this afternoon - rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 06:24 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default If someone replies quickly - i can tackle this this afternoon - rear speakers

this afternoon
i have sourced rear speakers from same year and model as my car 1998 XK8 Conv. Is there any stickies/vids around on how to remove/replace ?
How much of the panels that hold the speakers do i have to remove, i can see one torx bolt on top and a funny looking thing with a nipple on top (ooer missus)
It's a straight remove/replace - can i access all that just by removing the panels on top of the speakers )if u know what i mean?)
Cheers.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Here's the JTIS section on removing the Rear Quarter Speaker Panel on the convertible:

JTIS - XK8 Quarter Panel Speaker - Convertible.pdf

It references Rear Seat Cushion and Backrest removal ......

JTIS - XK8 Rear Seat Cushion.pdf
JTIS - XK8 Rear Seat Backrest.pdf

....... and Rear Quarter Trim Panel removal:

JTIS - XK8 Rear Quarter Trim Panel.pdf

Graham

The following users liked this post:
LondonXK8Boy (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Not sure whether you have the Harmon Kardon set-up, or the Alpine kit - I think there may be differences with the rear speakers. But - there's a bit of info on this post which might be of help.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...io-fix-118911/

Old 11-16-2014, 07:58 AM

You have to remove all that to get at the speakers?
When the guy removed them from the car i got them from the rear seats stayed in place.
I couldn't see what he was doing as he removed them, but after he had i clambered up (it was on top of another Jaguar in a scrap yard) and had a quick look.
The seat belts weren't touched either - i asked the guy and he 'vaguely' said - there's two bolts on the top and it all falls forward for easy access, someone on here said it's a ten minute job ... hmm.
Looking at the pics on Devon Dave's pics, surely if you can access the speakers - there are four screws holding them in - unscrew them, ease out speaker, disconnect the two wires and reverse the process - voila?
does the side of seat panel that holds the speakers not come free easier then removing the whole base and back of seat and seatbelt assembly?

Last edited by LondonXK8Boy; 11-16-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:22 AM
Received 4,179 Likes on 3,642 Posts

London - I have been able to remove the rear speakers on my XK8 by just removing the side panel - no need to remove the seats although it does make it a little easier to reinstall the side panel

Old 11-16-2014, 08:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Do you feel lucky?

There's nothing more brittle than Jaguar plastic fixings!

Given it takes 10 minutes to remove the rear seat and Jaguar Parts Departments are closed on Sundays, I wouldn't risk it but .......

Graham

Old 11-16-2014, 09:19 AM

i wish i was more able to do this sort of stuff - probably easy - any videos around? thanks for your help so far guys.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

When I replaced mine last year, I used this site with good pictures and instructions -

http://www.jagrepair.com/XK8SpeakerReplacement.htm

Last edited by Borg524; 11-16-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Speakers

Just replaced mine last night with some 6.5 kickers. Easy to remove the panel.
Put the top down and slide and fold the front seats forward.
Remove the three screws, 1 front, two on the top side of the top panel, (includes the snap screw) and remove the top panel.
Remove the seat belt bolt.
There is a black plastic push in button fastener at the top rear of the side panel that you can pry out with a screw driver,
Gently lift the corner of the aluminum door sill with a wide flat blade and slide the side panel out from under the sill toward the center of the car, YOU DON'T NEED MUCH SO DON'T BEND THE SILL!...
Gently pull the panel out toward the center of the car to disengage a couple of pop in fasteners that are behind the panel.
Then slide/tilt the panel up and toward the front of the car to disengage a plastic guide that slides in the rear sheet metal. Watch this plastic guide the whole time in that there are wires and hoses it will get caught on on the way out. The panel will then slide up and out from the seat cushions. NO NEED TO REMOVE THE SEAT!
I removed the old mounting ring from the original speakers,
removed the new mounting ring from the new speakers, used the old ring on the new speakers and they bolted right in.
The wires are a bit short but they work.
My only issue is that the new speaker magnets are touching the back of the enclosures. So far no harm, but I'm a bit worried that I may need to give it some relief if I get a vibration. They sound great as of last night.

LondonXK8Boy (11-18-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 08:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My Torque bolts on the seat belt is completely stuck, so I have now replaced rear speakers both sides by gently pulling off the speaker grilles. you need to put the roof down and bend the top 3 retaining tabs back by reaching down behind the speaker enclosures... you can then leverage the remaining tabs out that you can't reach. I used a tesco club card to help. getting them back requires some patience, but you'd never tell I'd taken mine out now.

Its not as "technical" but does save removing entire interior, which I was bound to break in the process as am somewhat hamfisted.

Good luck.

LondonXK8Boy (11-18-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

I had to remove the cross bars also to remove my speakers.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by floz
My Torque bolts on the seat belt is completely stuck, so I have now replaced rear speakers both sides by gently pulling off the speaker grilles. you need to put the roof down and bend the top 3 retaining tabs back by reaching down behind the speaker enclosures... you can then leverage the remaining tabs out that you can't reach. I used a tesco club card to help. getting them back requires some patience, but you'd never tell I'd taken mine out now.

Its not as "technical" but does save removing entire interior, which I was bound to break in the process as am somewhat hamfisted.

Good luck.
Hi just to clarify: you just removed the grills, removed the speakers and put the new ones in and put the grills back on? what did u mean by 'reaching down behind the speaker enclosures' ? cheers.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:59 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, sorry did not spot your question.
Hopefully you managed to do it anyway. Yes I just popped the grills off, unscrewed the speakers cut the wires, added some spade connectors and screwed in the new ones.

if you put the roof down you'll see the rear 3/4 top covers (which the T50 bold for the seat belt holds in place). there is just enough space behind these to reach down to the speaker enclosure. The top 3 tabs that hold the grills are just about accessible. (there are another 3 lower down that you can't get to) if you bend these straight and push the grill from the back that should give you enough play to tease the grill off.

you'll have to have some patience to get the back on neatly but very much possible.
J

LondonXK8Boy (11-23-2014)