Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Ignition-on power take-off in trunk/boot area? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/ignition-power-take-off-trunk-boot-area-57903/)

Frog 07-18-2011 06:11 AM

Ignition-on power take-off in trunk/boot area?

I am looking to install a speed camera warning device on the rear shelf just behind the subwoofer. Like this, I can see the flashing lights in the rear view mirror and hear the beep, but it won't clutter up the dash area.

My question is: is there a suitable ignition-on cable anywhere close to the trunk/boot area that I can tap into as a power source when the engine is running, so that the device will switch on and off automatically with the engine?

It measures about 2" across and 1/2" deep:

http://www.zdnet.fr/i/edit/pr/2007/1...4-enlarged.jpg

WhiteXKR 07-18-2011 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Frog (Post 378809)
I am looking to install a speed camera warning device on the rear shelf just behind the subwoofer. Like this, I can see the flashing lights in the rear view mirror and hear the beep, but it won't clutter up the dash area.

My question is: is there a suitable ignition-on cable anywhere close to the trunk/boot area that I can tap into as a power source when the engine is running, so that the device will switch on and off automatically with the engine?

It measures about 2" across and 1/2" deep:

http://www.zdnet.fr/i/edit/pr/2007/1...4-enlarged.jpg

There is actually an 'accessory' connector in the trunk. Look next to the battery for an unused black connector with three wires: brown/green, white/red and black. The white/red is ignition switched, and the black is ground and the brown/green is battery. You can actually use ordinary .250" quick connect terminals to connect to the tabs in this connector without cutting any wires (use insulated terminals or some heat shrink tubing to prevent acciidental shorts).

The only issue is that not all the cars have the ignition switch relay for this connector installed. Check the trunk fusebox...if there is one relay missing you will need to purchase it and plug it in. It is identical to all the other relays in the fusebox (sorry, I do not have the part number handy).

I have a bunch of equivalent relays I purchased for my various projects...I can send you one if you pay the cost of shipping.

Frog 07-18-2011 07:55 AM

Now that's what I call a full and complete answer! Many thanks :)

I think I have seen the accessory connector in the trunk, but I wasn't 100% sure if it was suitable.

I will have a look at it all and get back to you should I need a relay (no point in trying to find one here, the French will have no idea what I'm talking about).

Jen & Neil 07-19-2011 06:18 PM

Isn't there one of those near the glove box too?...:icon_look:

WhiteXKR 07-19-2011 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jen & Neil (Post 379551)
Isn't there one of those near the glove box too?...:icon_look:

Yes, that is correct.

Dr. D 07-25-2011 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR (Post 378822)
There is actually an 'accessory' connector in the trunk. Look next to the battery for an unused black connector with three wires: brown/green, white/red and black. The white/red is ignition switched, and the black is ground and the brown/green is battery. You can actually use ordinary .250" quick connect terminals to connect to the tabs in this connector without cutting any wires (use insulated terminals or some heat shrink tubing to prevent acciidental shorts).

The only issue is that not all the cars have the ignition switch relay for this connector installed. Check the trunk fusebox...if there is one relay missing you will need to purchase it and plug it in. It is identical to all the other relays in the fusebox (sorry, I do not have the part number handy).

I have a bunch of equivalent relays I purchased for my various projects...I can send you one if you pay the cost of shipping.

I had been trying to find an ignition switched 12v source for my Sirius trunk unit as it had been connected to the brown/green battery spade. It is now on the white/red is ignition switched spade with a battery drain reduction of around 10ma. I purchased a 84601 relay from Advance Auto ($6.99) and plugged it in the vacant relay socket (break the mtg tab that sticks up off with pliers). I am very satisfied. Many thanks for this useful information.

WhiteXKR 07-26-2011 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. D (Post 382411)
I had been trying to find an ignition switched 12v source for my Sirius trunk unit as it had been connected to the brown/green battery spade. It is now on the white/red is ignition switched spade with a battery drain reduction of around 10ma. I purchased a 84601 relay from Advance Auto ($6.99) and plugged it in the vacant relay socket (break the mtg tab that sticks up off with pliers). I am very satisfied. Many thanks for this useful information.

Dr D.

I hate to be a 'Debbie Downer' here, but you really should get an OEM Jaguar relay. The OEM relays have a built in spike suppression diode, while the Advance Auto parts relays do not. Over the long term the electrical spike generated by the moving magnetic field of the non-suppressed relay can weaken components in the car's electronics ultimately leading to a failure, or cause unpredictable electronic behavior.

Dr. D 07-26-2011 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR (Post 382511)
Dr D.

I hate to be a 'Debbie Downer' here, but you really should get an OEM Jaguar relay. The OEM relays have a built in spike suppression diode, while the Advance Auto parts relays do not.

Thanks , I just pulled that "diodeless" relay.
I lost a $180 Scientific calculator about 35 years ago due to experimenting with a colapsed field coil. I thought I learned my lesson then, but I guess not.
Again thanks for showing me the error of my ways.

Alag 02-29-2012 08:16 AM

Hi Frog havn't I read somewhere that its illegal in France to have a speed camera warning system fitted. Are you hoping it will not be spotted behind the woofer?

Let me know the visting hours!!!

Cheers Al

jamjax 02-29-2012 08:31 AM

Frog;

Is there some kind of French speed camera I am not aware of?

What good will one on the rear do for you since it will be too late by the time it is triggered to slow down....getting a warning running towards it I understand.

This is more than academic since I am just about to pull the winter wraps off for a blast up to Chamonix tomorrow to meet our forum 'brudder' Jochem from Monaco for a bit of a ski.

Denser as the air gets thinner,

jj

Gus 02-29-2012 08:38 AM

This should help identify the locations http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...owerSocket.pdf

malibudav 03-01-2012 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gus (Post 476014)
This should help identify the locations http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...owerSocket.pdf

Great. I found the connector. I'm not sure how to hook it up to my amp. Is there a way to find out which wire in the connector is which? One is Green/Blue, one Black, one Purple/Brown.

I need a switched 12v source to wake up my amplifier.

Thanks

Gus 03-01-2012 11:30 AM

I do not have a oneline for your car but I would use a volt/ohm meter and switch the key to identify what is what.

Originally Posted by malibudav (Post 476629)
Great. I found the connector. I'm not sure how to hook it up to my amp. Is there a way to find out which wire in the connector is which? One is Green/Blue, one Black, one Purple/Brown.

I need a switched 12v source to wake up my amplifier.

Thanks

nyfilm 10-10-2013 12:00 AM

Relay question

Great info! Thanks guys!

Would anyone know the location of the relay in question and the OEM part number?

Many thanks!