XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar Purchase Checklist Update

Old 04-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Jaguar Purchase Checklist Update

Last year I used an old version of this check list when I bought my 99 XJ8. I have since updated it as I continue to learn about these cars. I've also added a couple of XK8 XKR Convertible items too.

The previous version is currently in the FAQ. I'd like to vette this version then I'll ask a moderator to update the FAQ's.

I'll also posted this in the 98-03 XJ8 XJR forum to see what those guys have to say.

I've attached the PDF. Let me know what you guys think about this updated list. Anything that I should add?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jag Buy Checklist.pdf (63.4 KB, 647 views)
The following 4 users liked this post by Sinister 1:
blindside (09-06-2014), JeffereyGreen (04-21-2011), jimborino (06-27-2017), Kevin77 (10-19-2014)
Old 04-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

To help get some more views w/ download and opening, I hope its ok I copied and pasted it here. I really like how thorough this working list is becoming, great work.

__________________________________________________ __

Tools to take with you
Digital Camera
Inspection Mirror
Creeper
Jack
Jack Stands
Bright Mini Flashlight and batteries
Tread Depth Gauge
Compact Disc with music on it.
Wristwatch
OBDII Code Reader

Interior
Operate all controls in the vehicle and verify they are functioning in every way. (don't forget Headrests and Steering Wheel adjustments)
Run Diagnostic Test Sequence on Climate Control System.
Check all exterior lights.
Check Operation of Mirrors
Operate Air Conditioning and verify outlet temp.
Operate Heater and Defroster.
Check all Seat Heaters Front and Rear.
Check Armrest Cupholder and verify it’s not broken.
Operate Wiper and Washer. Check for smooth operation and even delay time. Erratic Operation is a problem to watch for.
Check Headliner. Make sure fabric is not separating.
Check condition of all wood trim. Some clearcoat cracks are normal. Split wood is another issue.
Check condition of seating surfaces
Verify function of power seats and lumbar support.
Key Count is 2 Black, 1 Green and 2 Keyfobs. (note: $300 if 1 key is missing)
Verify that all 3 keys Start the car.
Check the function of both remotes.
Verify the radio unlock code is known.
Verify function of CD Player
Turn up the volume and listen for bad speakers.
Verify Power Antenna Function.
Verify Subwoofer function and sound.
Check Function of Navigation System.
Verify the clock works and keeps time.
Check function of 2 Black Keys in Glove Box Lock.
Check Rear View Mirror for discoloration.

Exterior
Check all painted surfaces and look for inconsistencies in gaps and paint.
Check body panels and note all damage.
Check condition of windshield.
Check Door, Trunk and Hood Jambs for evidence of paint overspray.
Check every body panel for the factory Jaguar VIN tag. Verify last 4 digits. The hood, decklid, doors and bumper beams will have tags if the panels are original.
Check the function of all 3 Keys (2 Black and Valet) in Door Lock and Trunk Lock.

Underhood
Let Owner know the car must be Stone Cold when you get there. You want to do a cold start and check for Valvetrain Noise. Verify temp of engine, then start. If it rattles it needs Timing Chain Tensioners.
Once cold started turn around and verify it did not spew a cloud of blue smoke.
Check Message Center for Restricted Performance, ABS or Traction Control Faults.
Remove Oil Cap and Dipstick to look for sludge buildup. Peer down in valve cover and look at the valvetrain. Is it clean or a carmel brown? Any sludge?
Check Valve Cover Breather Hoses and look for sludge inside or if it’s full of oil.
Remove the Intake Air Inlet Hose and look for sludge or if it’s dripping with oil.
Check throttle body for buildup of sludge.
Check MAF for buildup of sludge.
Check Air Filter for evidence of oil.
For a Nicasil Engine check for Blow By. (Remove oil cap on warm running engine and look for excessive oil vapor or moisture)
Verify whether engine has Nicasil or Steel Lined cylinders. Engine Date Code should be after 00 08 18 1043. Engine date code is on a vertical rib on the left side of the Block.
It's located above the Pinion Housing of the Steering Rack.
Verify Water Pump has been replaced.
Verify Thermostat Housing is Aluminum.
Verify Thermostat has been replaced.
Look for Gasket Leaks (eg. Valve Cover)
Verify Timing Tensioners have been replaced.
Verify Throttle Body Replacement
Verify if Engine was replaced.
If Engine is a Remanufactured unit it should have Blue Temp Strips on the rear of the
Cylinder Heads. Try to view with an inspection mirror and the flashlight.
Check condition of Engine Mounts. (leaking)
Check OBDII system for stored fault codes.

Underbody
Verify tread depth and that tires are worn evenly. (poss. Wheel Bearing issues)
Check condition of wheels. Curbed? ($100.00+ each to refinish)
Look at brake rotors. High ridges on outer edge tell you they are worn.
Look for Transmission Leaks
Verify if Transmission was replaced.
Look for Differential Leaks
Verify Differential Service.
Verify Trans Fluid has been drained and refilled.
Verify Wheel Bearings have been replaced.
Look for rust under all footwells.
Look for evidence of car being bottomed out.
Check condition of ball joints and tie rods. (loose, damaged boots)
Check condition of shocks. (leaking)
Check Front Upper Shock Mounts. (Isolator Material Breaking Down)
Check condition of Sway Bar Bushings (clunk in front end)
Check condition of Exhaust System.

XK8 XKR Convertible Top
Verify that windows index down when Door Handles are operated and return when doors close.
Verify function of Convertible Top.
Condition of Convertible Top Fabric, Pump Cylinders, Top Latches, Hoses for Top Latches, and other Hoses.

__________________________________________________ ________

Sinister, definitely send me a note after your satisfied with the end result, i'll FAQ it accordingly.

The following users liked this post:
jimborino (06-27-2017)
Old 04-21-2011, 10:24 AM

I'll keep you posted on changes.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:26 AM

I may start to populate some costs into the known failures like I did with the Keys. This will give the tools needed to drive a negotiation with the seller. If anyone has knowledge of the costs please chime in.

Ken

Old 04-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also take a small credit card magnet to check the panels for
filler.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:42 AM

Added to the list.

BTW, I used this list to look at this Silver XK8 that was on eBay last week.

Jaguar : XK | eBay

It was a pretty rough car and needed a lot more than just the engine....

After sitting down ond going over what it needed in addition to the engine to make it a decent car, I decided to pass. I figured it needed about $3000 in just parts alone not including the engine as I already have a longblock with only 80K on it.

Obviously I was unable to road test it so there was far tom many unknowns in the rest of the chassis and powertrain. As a result I could see sinking at least $8000 in this car and spending 100 hours doing the work.

Last edited by Sinister 1; 04-25-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Your check list.

Its a great check list and thanks very much for posting it.

I have got the age now where I don't care if I look like an idiot, I am one anyway But I do wish to get things right when I look for my replacement car.

One or two small points, can you clarify the following for me?
Interior

Run diagnostic test sequence on Climate Control System ( How??)
Under hood (or bonnet as we say in uk, yes I know in the colonies a bonnet is a hat  )
check for Valvetrain Noise. Ok........... Its always very noisy under there, what does a Valvetrain noise sound like? and where exactly are we listening?
Check Message Center.................. ok.... I assume thats on the dash or instrument panel??

Photographs or diagrams would be good for the items below. I know exactly where they are on a BMW E39 but where would we be looking on a XKR? Example, if I asked you to check for vanos rattle on a E39 would you know where to listen or what to listen for?

These are the items I mean, and I am sure to every competent Jag owner knows what and where they are........ but for someone who is buying one for the first time its not so obvious.
Check Valve Cover Breather Hoses and look for sludge inside or if it’s full of oil. Where are they?
Remove the Intake Air Inlet Hose and look for sludge or if it’s dripping with oil. Does this require a screwdriver or will it just pull off?
Check throttle body for buildup of sludge. Can you check this without removing anything?
Check MAF for buildup of sludge. I assume you mean Mass Airflow sensor? I thought these were supposed to be spotless, or are we talking of another MAF? Where is it? Mine was on the front mounted to the air intake box... so on an XKR its where please?

And finally.......... what is a "creeper". To me its either a not very nice bloke or a thing that grows up the side of a house........

The above is NOT criticism, just a request for clarification.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by frankc

And finally.......... what is a "creeper". To me its either a not very nice bloke or a thing that grows up the side of a house........

Although both of your definitions for a creeper are accurate , in the states it is also the thing on rollers that allows you to lay on it and roll under your car whilst working on it...

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar Purchase Checklist Update-creeper.gif  
Old 09-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Run diagnostic test sequence on Climate Control System. (How??)
Here is the sequence for climate control system check (thanks to xjrguy). These can be found in the owners manual, which is in one of the stickies on the main forum page. Makes for good reading.

• Switch off the ignition
Press and hold the AUTO and FRESH / RECIRC buttons simultaneously while switching the
ignition to position II.
All of the panel LEDs and all LCD segments will flash ON and OFF. Any function LED indicator
or LCD segment that does not flash suggests a fault condition within that area of the panel,
or with the LED or LCD.
• Press AUTO
The control panel display will flash and scroll through the list of flagged fault codes. A maximum
of five codes will be stored and displayed. If 0 is displayed, no fault codes are flagged.
• Press FACE to manually scroll through the fault codes
When a fault code is displayed, an accompanying beep will indicate if the fault is present.
If the code is not accompanied by a beep, the fault occurred previously.
NOTE: Faults that are present can not be cleared until the cause of the fault is repaired.
To clear fault codes, press HRW and FACE simultaneously. Wait 30 seconds for the A/CCM
to retest the system and reflag any current faults.
• Press PUSH OFF to return the system to normal operation (default panel settings)

Check Message Center.................. ok.... I assume thats on the dash or instrument panel??
Yes, the error messages and potentially error lights (yellow or red) are on the dash.

One other thing is to consider taking an OBDII code reader. The plug-in is under the dash on the driver's side (USA). Hard to see, but it's there. Post any codes found on the forum and we can help explain their meaning.

Good luck and happy hunting!

The following users liked this post:
frankc (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Thanks for that, I intend to take a reader with me when I eventually go looking at cars. Seen 1 or 2 already but been very disappointed in their condition. Hope to find one before Christmas. No rush, and they should be cheaper and more plentiful by then. After all who wants to buy a convertible in the middle of winter ( me)