XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar Vapor Canister Purge Valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Received 119 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Jaguar Vapor Canister Purge Valve

Hi lads, I have to replace the Vapor Canister Purge Valve to my 2006 XKR. I purchase one at ebay by putting my car brand and model.

What I received was this "JAGUAR OEM 03-06 XK8-Vapor Canister Purge Valve LJG1515BB".

This is the valve I received:

This is the valve I received

This is the valve my mechanic tells me I need:

This is the valve my mechanic tells me I need

This is the code of the right valve as per my mechanic:

This is the code of the right valve as per my mechanic

I'm really confused...what's the right one for the XKR 2006? (built in 2005)

Old 11-10-2017, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The part you have will work with XK up to 2002 after 2002 to 2006 you need the one your mechanic stated. It is available thru SNG Barratt (a forum sponsor) according to their catalog.
Purge Control Valve
Product Code: LJG1515BB
XK8 / XKR ‑ To 2002 • XK8 / XKR ‑ To 2006

Retail Price:
$96.03
($96.03) inc TAX

The following 2 users liked this post by avern1:
SirJohn (11-10-2017), SNG Barratt USA (11-13-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Lightbulb Purge Valve?

Originally Posted by avern1
The part you have will work with XK up to 2002 after 2002 to 2006 you need the one your mechanic stated. It is available thru SNG Barratt (a forum sponsor) according to their catalog.
Purge Control Valve

Retail Price: $96.03
($96.03) inc TAX

Sir John & avern1,

Thanks for all the photos and drawings of the Purge Control Valve......I can tell that it is part of the EGR system by looking at the parts drawing but what I don't know is what purpose it serves in the system and what happens to the operation of the Engine if the Valve stops working? Does it start smoking or does it make the Engine miss-fire or just what does it do? Also, where is it located on the Engine?

Please, could you Guys or someone on the Forum give me the details?

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 11-12-2017, 06:42 PM

Nothing happens besides you will smell some gas. Besides that, the USA government doesn’t allow you to leak gas to the air, so basically you will be doing something ilegal...

Old 11-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

EGR is for when the engine somehow runs lean, and produced high exhaust temperatures. These temperatures produce NOx, which cannot be handled by the catalytic converters, and are dangerous pollutants. The strategy is to inject an inert gas (basically something with less oxygen. i.e. exhaust gas) to reduce the temp, and avoid that type of pollution.

The purge valve is part of the system that manages the fumes from the gas tank. The fumes get temporarily captured in the charcoal canisters. Under engine conditions determined by the computer, the purge valve opens and releases these fumes for consumption through the engine.

The easy answer is to keep these systems working as designed.

The following users liked this post:
bcprice36 (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Question OK???

Originally Posted by fmertz
EGR is for when the engine somehow runs lean, and produced high exhaust temperatures. These temperatures produce NOx, which cannot be handled by the catalytic converters, and are dangerous pollutants. The strategy is to inject an inert gas (basically something with less oxygen. i.e. exhaust gas) to reduce the temp, and avoid that type of pollution.

The purge valve is part of the system that manages the fumes from the gas tank. The fumes get temporarily captured in the charcoal canisters. Under engine conditions determined by the computer, the purge valve opens and releases these fumes for consumption through the engine.

The easy answer is to keep these systems working as designed.
fmertz,

So the whole deal is to get rid of NOx....? But what happens when something breaks, as Sir John's Purge Valve? How do you know it's not operating properly? Does one of the Engine Lights come on or what? Does the Engine cough or misfire or smoke? Or as Sir John sez, I go around putting out NOx everywhere until get arrested by the US Govt. (God forbid that from happening)! Maybe I should send the darn thing back to England!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 11-13-2017, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

The vapour thing is for fuel fume removal, not NOx. It's EGR that helps avoid NOx by reducing cylinder temps (and slightly increases MPG).

Obviously fuel fumes lost to the atmosphere as well as being pollution would reduce MPG a little.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I believe it is part of the OBDII "monitors". The system checks that, starting from a baseline where the purge valve is believed to be closed, the fuel mixture becomes rich when the valve is opened. If not, the monitor does not complete and you get a code.

If the purge valve is stuck open, the engine will run rich, and you would get a code here as well.

Abby's Guy (01-10-2022)
Old 11-17-2017, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
Purge Control Valve

Retail Price:
$96.03
($96.03) inc TAX
Hi and thanks again for your help. The one I have now is this one
am I looking at the wrong place?

thanks!

Old 01-23-2018, 09:06 PM

Hi lads, here I go again with the very same doubt. The part number that appears in system for my car is definitely different of what I have. What I do have is what you see in the video, but the part number for the last edition of the X100 XKR is another one. Is that possible? Do you know what's the part number of the one in the video? (with a kind of a bag or so?).

Thanks again!

Old 01-23-2018, 11:02 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by SirJohn
Hi lads, here I go again with the very same doubt. The part number that appears in system for my car is definitely different of what I have. What I do have is what you see in the video, but the part number for the last edition of the X100 XKR is another one. Is that possible? Do you know what's the part number of the one in the video? (with a kind of a bag or so?).

Thanks again!
See:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...fusion-179542/

SirJohn (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 12:37 AM

I knew it was a good explanation...thanks!

Old 12-31-2021, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty Canister Purge Valve symptoms

In my case with my 2000 XK8 I first noticed the smell of fuel, next the engine light came on. It did not run rough or make noise from the left front as it can when there is a faulty canister purge valve. I always stop running my car when the engine light comes on. The confusing thing is that the code reads P1111. It is my understanding that that code means that your car has completed enough revolutions after the last engine light showing. I am going to replace it regardless.

Old 01-01-2022, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by funkymama
In my case with my 2000 XK8 I first noticed the smell of fuel, next the engine light came on. It did not run rough or make noise from the left front as it can when there is a faulty canister purge valve. I always stop running my car when the engine light comes on. The confusing thing is that the code reads P1111. It is my understanding that that code means that your car has completed enough revolutions after the last engine light showing. I am going to replace it regardless.
The P1111 is a code that is basically telling you that all of the monitor "readiness" checks have completed and the car is ready for (or can be) inspected... P1000 indicates that the system is not "ready" for inspection. The list is 7 or 8 major areas of emissions system such as the catalyst, O2 sensors and a separate one for their heaters, the individual components of the EVAP system, misfires and spark, and a couple more. P1111 is a good sign. Having the CEL is not.

Specifically,,, what other codes do you have?
If you smell gas yes, stop driving til you figure out why and from where. Is the CEL flashing or steady? Did you do some work on the car recently?

Old 01-02-2022, 09:04 AM
Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SirJohn
Hi lads, I have to replace the Vapor Canister Purge Valve to my 2006 XKR. I purchase one at ebay by putting my car brand and model.

What I received was this "JAGUAR OEM 03-06 XK8-Vapor Canister Purge Valve LJG1515BB".

This is the valve I received:

This is the valve I received

This is the valve my mechanic tells me I need:

This is the valve my mechanic tells me I need

This is the code of the right valve as per my mechanic:

This is the code of the right valve as per my mechanic

I'm really confused...what's the right one for the XKR 2006? (built in 2005)

I’m curious - what is the part number on your current valve?

Old 01-02-2022, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jan's Jag Vapor Canister Purge Valve

Thank you for your response. As well as the P1111, the code P0455 shows up. I had a new master air flow sensor installed in March.
I have been told to change out the gas cap (I have ordered one). Where do I start?

From Grahams posting, and I have read that it can be any of the following:
Evap System Gross Leak.

1. fuel cap off
2. fuel cap seal defective
3. EVAP system leak (canister damage, pipework damage)
4. EVAPP valve to ECM drive circuit - open circuit, short circuit, high resistance
5. EVAPP valve power supply circuit - open circuit
6. EVAPP valve to engine purge pipe damaged / blocked / leaking
7. EVAPP valve operating vacuum hose leak / blockage
8. EVAPP valve failure
9. Fuel tank leak

Old 01-03-2022, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by funkymama
Thank you for your response. As well as the P1111, the code P0455 shows up. I had a new master air flow sensor installed in March.
I have been told to change out the gas cap (I have ordered one). Where do I start?

From Grahams posting, and I have read that it can be any of the following:
Evap System Gross Leak.

1. fuel cap off
2. fuel cap seal defective
3. EVAP system leak (canister damage, pipework damage)
4. EVAPP valve to ECM drive circuit - open circuit, short circuit, high resistance
5. EVAPP valve power supply circuit - open circuit
6. EVAPP valve to engine purge pipe damaged / blocked / leaking
7. EVAPP valve operating vacuum hose leak / blockage
8. EVAPP valve failure
9. Fuel tank leak
Sadly, eBay folks (and parts suppliers) can inadvertently mislable and confuse parts and this may be what happened. I'm a little confused by the post but thats alright, you should be able to get clear on which was the OE part on the car, return the mis-part and try to find the correct one again. If you are in the EU (or close, lol) there is a great online store called AUTORESERVE that seems to specialize in Jaguar parts. But, before you spend more $$$$ throwing parts at the problem,,,

Graham is, I think, on the money! The chase is on.

a gas cap may be a good start, as may be the valve, but at the same time. The code indicates a gross leak and in a quick good search - "2006 Jaguar XK8 p0455" - threads come up on the forum, one specifically I saw, where the member solved the problem being a split in a small U shaped hose... There are, unfortunately, many many feet and sections of hose involved with the system and I think, maybe, you and your mechanic are going to need to try and get an eye on them all, or most of them. Can be a real pain. BUT, if there is a lift, the underside of the car can be accessed, y'all are ahead O the game.

Still, if the mechs software can and actually does pinpoint the valve as malfunctioning electrically, the car and the mechs software is pinpointing it, then it it just maybe as simple as replacing that valve. More digging seems to be in order - .

Old 01-10-2022, 01:30 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by fmertz
If the purge valve is stuck open, the engine will run rich, and you would get a code here as well.
This may explain a couple ongoing issues with my 2000 XKR convertible. Intermittent gasoline smell and intermittent restricted mode with a code for running rich.

Will be looking to change that valve. Maybe it sticks occasionally?