XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar XK8 1997 Airbag " Please Help,I'm desperate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XK8 1997 Airbag " Please Help,I'm desperate?

Hello

My name is Antonio from Portugal, sorry my english....

I need to solve a problem that I have 3 years, had an accident and open the driver airbag, I have bought a used, and went to a Jaguar dealer, to turn off the airbag light, I was informed that the module was broken, since then I already bought 4 units, I also bought MoongoosePro and i930, and I always have the same error " airbag communications with the module have been lost, I already checked fuses and wires.

Please I need your help

Regards
Antonio

Old 03-22-2017, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 298 Posts

I believe there is a connector under the seat(s) that gives problems. My wife drove my car and all of a sudden the air bag light came on. I thought I was in for a lot of work and searching, but the light went off after I drove the car and moved the seat back to where it was. It's been fine ever since. I just don't let the wife drive the car anymore. :^)

The following users liked this post:
ajpds (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

There are a couple of paths to follow:

First, you need to do a search and figure out how to have the airbag module tell you what it thinks is wrong. Typically, it involves counting flashes of the airbag light on the dash. Maybe it does this by itself when you turn the car on. These flashes are then interpreted as error codes. Once you have the codes, it is easier to do searches, etc. I have seen pretty deep posts on this forum regarding airbags, so I believe your issues can eventually be resolved. Does the airbag light flash at all?

Separately, it seems that there are lots of codes in the separate modules. You need to post them. With so many codes, you have to first check the battery to make sure it is strong enough during engine cranking to keep power to the control modules. If not, then the modules can remain in a confused state and give nothing good.

On the face of it, it looks like you might have a data network problem. Seems like the module is on the old serial data bus. If somehow the bus is not functional (open or short), then the airbag module cannot be reached from the diagnostics port.

There is a GOLDMINE of information here:

JaguarXK8ElectricalOBDIIcodes.htm

ajpds (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyL
I believe there is a connector under the seat(s) that gives problems. My wife drove my car and all of a sudden the air bag light came on. I thought I was in for a lot of work and searching, but the light went off after I drove the car and moved the seat back to where it was. It's been fine ever since. I just don't let the wife drive the car anymore. :^)

Hello Jimmy

my car only have driver+passenger airbag and 2 front impact sensor, and the problem is in diagnostic.

Do you know where is "AIRBAG INTERROGATION CONNECTOR ?

Regards

Old 03-22-2017, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

+1 on all of the above.
As I'm sure you know, it's not a good idea to start testing airbag circuits with a VoltMeter. The divers airbag circuit has three "shorting bars" which would seem to bridge the contacts when a plug is disconnected - I guess it's possible that one of these has a problem ? Did you replace four airbags or four modules ? Again - just guessing but a faulty airbag unit might mess up a control module under certain circumstances. Was it a new airbag or from another car - are you sure it's the right part ? Leaving aside colour differences, there seem to be various different part-numbers according to the vin number.
If it were me, I would :
1. Disconnect and fully charge the battery.
2. During that disconnection, touch the + and - battery leads together to get rid of any residual volts in any of the modules.
3. Reconnect the battery and do another code reading and erase all the codes you can. (Sometimes it's not possible to get rid of some of them.)
4. Switch off, disconnect SDD and go for a 15 minute drive.
5. Recheck for codes - if you at luck you will only get the SRS problem, but if you still get the ABS and Instrument Pack codes - post them here and we can try and help with the diagnosis. It's possible that some of this stuff may be "inter-related" so it is important to get an accurate "snapshot" of where you are at the moment.
Cheers,
David.

Edit - just seen your previous question - Interrogation Socket is a white four-way socket next to the Airbag module according to the wiring diagram.

Last edited by DevonDavid; 03-22-2017 at 12:37 PM.
ajpds (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by fmertz
There are a couple of paths to follow:

First, you need to do a search and figure out how to have the airbag module tell you what it thinks is wrong. Typically, it involves counting flashes of the airbag light on the dash. Maybe it does this by itself when you turn the car on. These flashes are then interpreted as error codes. Once you have the codes, it is easier to do searches, etc. I have seen pretty deep posts on this forum regarding airbags, so I believe your issues can eventually be resolved. Does the airbag light flash at all?

Separately, it seems that there are lots of codes in the separate modules. You need to post them. With so many codes, you have to first check the battery to make sure it is strong enough during engine cranking to keep power to the control modules. If not, then the modules can remain in a confused state and give nothing good.

On the face of it, it looks like you might have a data network problem. Seems like the module is on the old serial data bus. If somehow the bus is not functional (open or short), then the airbag module cannot be reached from the diagnostics port.

There is a GOLDMINE of information here:

JaguarXK8ElectricalOBDIIcodes.htm

Hello

tanks for the link.

When I turn the ignition on the airbag light comes on, goes off and comes back on without flash.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:59 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Pin #3 on the OBDII connector goes directly to pin #6 on the SRS module on North American cars. I did not look at ROW.
If the module is DEAD (or no power) then you will not communicate.
You might have a broken or shorted circuit in the RED wire (OBDII to SRS).

I would try a substitute SRS module if all the power and ground wires are intact and correct. Check the VCATS for correct part number and suffix.

bob

ajpds (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 12:59 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

NO FLASH CODES ON EARLY CARS

bob

Old 03-22-2017, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
+1 on all of the above.
As I'm sure you know, it's not a good idea to start testing airbag circuits with a VoltMeter. The divers airbag circuit has three "shorting bars" which would seem to bridge the contacts when a plug is disconnected - I guess it's possible that one of these has a problem ? Did you replace four airbags or four modules ? Again - just guessing but a faulty airbag unit might mess up a control module under certain circumstances. Was it a new airbag or from another car - are you sure it's the right part ? Leaving aside colour differences, there seem to be various different part-numbers according to the vin number.
If it were me, I would :
1. Disconnect and fully charge the battery.
2. During that disconnection, touch the + and - battery leads together to get rid of any residual volts in any of the modules.
3. Reconnect the battery and do another code reading and erase all the codes you can. (Sometimes it's not possible to get rid of some of them.)
4. Switch off, disconnect SDD and go for a 15 minute drive.
5. Recheck for codes - if you at luck you will only get the SRS problem, but if you still get the ABS and Instrument Pack codes - post them here and we can try and help with the diagnosis. It's possible that some of this stuff may be "inter-related" so it is important to get an accurate "snapshot" of where you are at the moment.
Cheers,
David.

Edit - just seen your previous question - Interrogation Socket is a white four-way socket next to the Airbag module according to the wiring diagram.

Hi DavidThank you very much for your interest.I bought used driver's airbag, and not replace the front impact sensor.In the airbag scheme, the airbag diagnosis is direct to OBD conector.I've tried everything, and I still do not communicate with the airbag module.I can not find the Interrogation Socket , do you have a picture?

Cheers,

Old 03-22-2017, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Pin #3 on the OBDII connector goes directly to pin #6 on the SRS module on North American cars. I did not look at ROW.
If the module is DEAD (or no power) then you will not communicate.
You might have a broken or shorted circuit in the RED wire (OBDII to SRS).

I would try a substitute SRS module if all the power and ground wires are intact and correct. Check the VCATS for correct part number and suffix.

bob

Hello Bob

"Pin #3 on the OBDII connector goes directly to pin #6 on the SRS module on North American cars" OK

Now I have tested 4 SRS module, and same problem......

I have tried outside the car, positive + negative and communication, and module does not diagnose , in ISD V130 (by Moongose Original) and Icarsoft.

When I turn the power (+-) in the module, many beeps several times

Regards

Old 03-22-2017, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

VCATS doesn't seem to include the SRS module on '97 cars.
Mine has :
PSM, DSM, PDM, DDM, SLM, IPK, BPM & ECM

I assume that SRS and TCM and various others are not coded to a specific car, and therefore any module can be substituted with no problem (assuming the correct part number obviously).

If I have time tomorrow, I will hook up my laptop and see what I get for the Restraints Module. I seem to remember (and memory is not good at my advanced age) that I got the same "error" message, and I have no problems whatsoever with my airbag light. It might be that early cars don't communicate SRS problems via the DLC and require connection to the separate "interrogation socket".

Last edited by DevonDavid; 03-22-2017 at 01:52 PM.
ajpds (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 01:57 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I am no expert in this area but it seems that the module is not talking to the ECM or any other part of the car. Not sure what Jaguar found or what they did. If it were me I would ask them what exactly they did or what made them say it was the module. I am attaching a SRS TSB for 2003 model year car I think it will help.

Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...sh%20Codes.pdf

ajpds (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Early cars have a relatively "simple" system. No seat-belt pre-tensioners, no occupancy detectors, no passenger seat sensing detectors, and (as far as I'm aware) no flash-code diagnostics.
It's impossible to be sure, because there are SCP links between the various modules, BUT ............ the two impact sensors and the two airbags connect to the SRS module ...... that's all !!
My guess would be a faulty air-bag, or connector, in the steering wheel cassette but that's exactly that - a guess !!

ajpds (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 02:44 PM

Early cars have a relatively "simple" system. No seat-belt pre-tensioners, no occupancy detectors, no passenger seat sensing detectors, and (as far as I'm aware) no flash-code diagnostics.
It's impossible to be sure, because there are SCP links between the various modules, BUT ............ the two impact sensors and the two airbags connect to the SRS module ...... that's all !!
My guess would be a faulty air-bag, or connector, in the steering wheel cassette but that's exactly that - a guess !!

Hi

If have a defective airbag or sensor, the IDS/iCarsoft does not communicate airbag module ??

Tanks

Old 03-22-2017, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I would encourage you to triple check the electrical diagram.

jagxk1997.pdf

Fig 17.1 has the entire airbag diagram. This includes the interrogation connector FC-40. It does not seem terribly interesting, it looks like all the "data"coming out is to the instrument pack, I assume to turn the light on. It is labelled a "D", though, as in Data.

The later Fig 17.1 legend mentions this, to help you find it:

AlRBAG INTERROGATION CONNECTOR
FC40 ,‘4-WAY MULTILOCK 070 / WHlTE
RIGHT HAND ‘K POST, ‘A’ POST TRIM

Fig 19.1 has more information regarding the diagnostics connector pin 3, and this is where it seems interesting. The way I am reading it (where the module is placed on this diagram), there is communication by SCP. But SCP is normally on pin 10 and 2.

OBD-II_diagnostic_connector

So, it looks like the airbag module needs it own line to pin 3.

So, in my (uninformed) view, it looks like your scan tools would have to be Jaguar specific to get to this. Have you contacted Mongoose to confirm that that can for sure read airbag diagnostics from pin 3? Or is this a "clone" cable instead?

Taking a shot in the dark, you might have to "rewire" the port so that this airbag diagnostics wire temporarily goes to pin 2, somehow, and disconnect the existing pins 2 and pin 10. Just guessing here, but this "one wire" airbag SCP might be VPW and not PWM like the rest of the modules, which possibly explains why it needs to be wired separately.

Not sure this helps you, though. Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:42 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I show a fuse #5 - 5a for the airbag system on my 99, have you checked that fuse. Again I am not familiar with the Airbag system but do think precautions must be taken when dealing with it and the fuses.

ajpds (03-23-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ajpds
Hi

If have a defective airbag or sensor, the IDS/iCarsoft does not communicate airbag module ??

Tanks

I will try to find time to connect the IDS to my car tomorrow and see what I get. From memory, I don't think it can interrogate the SRS module even if everything is working OK but I have never had this problem so can't be 100% certain.

ajpds (03-23-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 06:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi
I had the same problem and a 2nd hand airbag module solved the problem. Very hard to get at it. So when you say you have changed 4 of them are you talking about the lite Blue Box Up under the Drivers side a Pillar?

ajpds (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by wal 10
Hi
I had the same problem and a 2nd hand airbag module solved the problem. Very hard to get at it. So when you say you have changed 4 of them are you talking about the lite Blue Box Up under the Drivers side a Pillar?

Hello

I have buy 4 airbag module, the blue box is airbag module.....????

Old 03-23-2017, 05:22 AM

I will try to find time to connect the IDS to my car tomorrow and see what I get. From memory, I don't think it can interrogate the SRS module even if everything is working OK but I have never had this problem so can't be 100% certain.

Hi

I wait for your answer.

tanks