Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jaguar xk8 STORAGE

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jaguar xk8 STORAGE

howdy all
im felix and im proud 2say that i have and drive an xk8 97 convertible model. Car just runs smooth and make me drive it more and more.
i have read post and posts, and i cant remember a post about cars storage.
if anyone thinks is a good idea or knows something about how to storage a car for a period of 1year or a couple of years please let us know. As i am planing to store mine as i have to travel abroad for a period of one year ( workin contract) and there is no way i`ll just leave the car parked in a garaje or driveway for more thn a year .

thank you

cr4zy_jaguar

Old 12-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I'm no expert on long term storage, but I'd have no problem putting my car in a garage, on jackstands (to avoid flat spots on the tires), covered, and have a trickle charger connected.

Some people will recommend removal of the gas from the tank. I'd also consider periodic running periods of the engine to exersice it...maybe monthly.

Again, not an expert, but my initial ideas.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going abroad for 1 year, I would do the MOST you can. I keep my car garaged and only drive it at most 2-3 times per month. For storage, I just do a charger and put the tires on carpet to keep them off the concrete. 1 year is a long time for a car to sit without being run.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  19.3 KB

We each have our own ideas Felix I guess, but there may be some you'd like to consider from the list below

WINTER CAR STORAGE TIPS

As most of you probably pack your favorite ride away for the winter, the followingwinter car storage tips can be used to maintain the integrity of your car andminimize any damage from improper storage.

1. Store your car with a full tank of fresh gas to minimize condensation of water. But before you fill the fuel tank up, add some gas stabilizer to the tank prior to the fill up. Drive the car for a few minutes to ensure that the gas stabilizer is throughthe entire fuel system. Change the engine oil and filter. This will help assure internal rust and corrosion protection and reduce sludge buildup.

2. For water cooled cars, flush and refill the cooling system with new coolant if needed (typically every 2 years for the green stuff and every five years for the newer orange stuff (Dexcool)).

3. If you have not flushed the brake system in the past two years, now is a good time to flush and refill the brake fluid. Get another person to help out and work from the farthest to the closest wheel from the master brake cylinder.

4. Top off the transmission and differentials with appropriate lubricants.

5. Spray WD40 on all hinges (hood, doors, trunk, etc). It is also a good time to lubricate door latches, handles and key cylinders.

6. Wash (and wax) just prior to storage.

7. Clean the interior, and dress all vinyl and rubber with appropriate treatments.

8. For soft top cars, put the top up. For all cars that are being stored inside, leave a window or two down slightly to allow air to circulate into the interior.

9. Jack up the car and place jack stands so as to relieve weight from the springs and prevent flat spots on the tires (more common on older bias ply tires).

10. If a cover is used, use only soft cotton or comparable material that breathes and allows air circulation.

11. To absorb excess moisture, place a couple bags of desiccant in the interior of the car and one or two in the truck. This will help minimize condensation, rust and mildew damage to interior materials.

12. Disconnect the battery while the car is in storage. To prolong the life of the battery, attach and plug in a battery trickle charger. Letting a battery sit too long and discharge is a quick way to ruin it in a short time

Old 12-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Talking

thx Jim. Yes, i totally agree, thats how a Jaguar should be stored. And it surprises me how manny cars i have seen stored outside , on the roadside, or driveway, some that i know of have been sitting for years now, good cars that deteriorates because some of us dont how to store car or are not completly aware of the damage it can result from a bad car storage. i find very helpful Jim`s advices . my Jag can go safe to bed now so it can yours :P

safe Jim

Old 12-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds great. I'm printing that out.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I originally sent this as a PM to JimC64. He has responded with the suggestion that I post it here:

Ref the 'winter storage list' that being posted, I have some input with the recommendation that WD40 be sprayed on hinges etc. WD40 is NOT designed to be a lubricant nor a surface protectant for such applications. It's original purpose was as a water displacement fluid (hence the WD) and when used in significant quantities will dilute and wash away conventional greases, leaving the surface bare- exactly the opposite of what is desired!.

I use spray silicone lubricants as part of my usual winter preparations and have had excellent long term experience with lubrication and surface protection.

By way of introduction, I have recently retired from one of the 'big three' jet engine manufacturers after a 31 year career in design, manufacturing and field support. One of my final assignments was to manage a fleet of over 1,000 engines in the field on various length leases. Part of the job was to prepare engines for long term storage. WD40 was an absolute no-no for the above and other valid reasons."

I also beleive that taking the weight off the springs is of no benefit and may distort suspension bushings. This has always been hotly debated over on the Corvette discussion boards, so I just keep my yap shut and do my own thing.
Cheers!

Old 12-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Agree with Mikey. What we like to use on our small planes here in the Northwet is a product called LPS-3 (I hope this product endorsement isn't against the rules here, it's available in many places now). It has a wax base that makes a coating/corrosion barrier when it drys and still provides good lubrication properties. This doesn't fall off like WD-40 would. I noticed that they buy it by the gallons in one of the paper mills I frequent. LPS labs, like many vendors, has a line of lubricants for various purposes.
http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/co...Corrosion.html
Mike

The following users liked this post:
St. Stephen (10-20-2019)
Old 12-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile

I agree with Mikey on both points,I learned the hard way about storing my XKR up on jacks stands and at the end of the storage time I saw that the lower body had pushed up into the fenders(cost about 2800.00).I had the jack stands at the jack points,I checked with a jag mech and he told me that the points were for short term use and after time the weight would stress the metal.This body doesn't have a frame and the sheet metal will give after time,I asked about other place to put the jack stands and he said leave the damn car on the ground!!He said its a bunch of BS,the suspension is made to work with the tires on holding up the weight of the car,many man hours of engineering went into the supporting the vehicle on the tires.He told me I could put the PSI up to the Max listed on the sidewall if I was worried about flat spots,he also laughed at us guys and our flat spots,he said drive the car for a couple of miles and everything will sort its self out.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglexkr
I agree with Mikey on both points,I learned the hard way about storing my XKR up on jacks stands and at the end of the storage time I saw that the lower body had pushed up into the fenders(cost about 2800.00).I had the jack stands at the jack points,I checked with a jag mech and he told me that the points were for short term use and after time the weight would stress the metal.This body doesn't have a frame and the sheet metal will give after time,I asked about other place to put the jack stands and he said leave the damn car on the ground!!He said its a bunch of BS,the suspension is made to work with the tires on holding up the weight of the car,many man hours of engineering went into the supporting the vehicle on the tires.He told me I could put the PSI up to the Max listed on the sidewall if I was worried about flat spots,he also laughed at us guys and our flat spots,he said drive the car for a couple of miles and everything will sort its self out.
This is exactly right on both counts Mikey & EagleXKR. My collection of storage facts and fiction was collected prior to buying my car. Living in the frozen north, we store cars for a minimum of 6 months a year here. I inflate my tires to approximately 48lbs and in the 4 years of ownership have not experienced any flat spots, even on notoriously prone Pirellis. Just make sure you deflate them to the correct driving pressure before taking the car out of storage!

The only additional item I would add is to store the car covered and on a waterproof tarp. Also make sure air is able to pass below the car. This eliminates moisture rising out of the concrete and collecting under the car and forming rust.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:25 AM

thx a lot guys. everyone brings his own and personal ideas. And this is the POINT. We bring things here and we debate and agree or disagree is very normal. The main important thing is that we do talk about it and come to real sens So far it looks good and every bit of information is helpful. thx to all that have responded and to them that are reading it too :P

enjoy the Winter Season lads

Old 12-14-2009, 04:37 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good discussion. I won't need to store my Jag, but I learned about the LPS3, and that looks like something that I could definitely use.
Thanks!
Brian