XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar xkr or xk8

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 04:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Jaguar xkr or xk8

Hi all, I currently own a 2000 xjr, looking to purchase a second jag ,2006 convertible. xkr are hard to find but I have found a real nice xk8. Any suggestions would be helpful on decisions. Thanks not familiar with the convertibles as far as engine reliability and such.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:57 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

other than spending a week reading threads here, the next good idea would be to test drive a few nice specimens. since you already have a supercharged car and understand it, it might be worth considering that the XK8 will feel less powerful to you. the convertible is also less rigid than the coupe; not terribly so, but enough that a performance driver will see deficits unless he really prefers the open car.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

This thread my give you some idea of the work you might expect to do on a XKR convertible, provided you have a few days spare to read it all! Click me to read

One proviso. Thanks to dear old Photobucket some of the pictures are missing! It does get better further on when I change photo hosts.

Last edited by frankc; 04-22-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,416 Likes on 754 Posts

+1 on the above. frankc's adventures, over many years, make jolly good reading.

Sacho,

You certainly are persistent and seem to have your mind made up on an X100. A while ago you were looking at the special XKR-100 special edition which BC gave you advice on.

Having swapped out the timing chains & tensioners on your 2000XJR, you may consider that'll repeat on the XK8 unless you have all the service history of it. You'll already know the nature of Jags of this era especially in regard to the engines and the problems with old rubber/plastic in the engine bay and dodgey electrical components.

I would be more concerned about the Gearbox and records of any ATF change, and/or A Drum work. Does it change well and does it have the 5 speed or the 6 speed ZF or Mercedes unit?

For the car itself, the convertible hood is hydraulically driven, and the old hydraulic pipes are known to degrade. The worst is the "infamous green shower," as the latch above the windscreen is hydraulically driven. Even if the top isn't used much, it's a problem as the latch can become gummed up with old contaminated sludgy fluid.

The other thing, as with all old cars, rust in and inbetween floor panels. Hopefully the previous owner will have sealed the floor and washed the underside regularly if he had been winter driving on salted roads.

To me my 1999 XK8 (first generation) is a perfect home hobby mechanic's car which I can tinker with in the garage. This forum is a gold mine of info on what I can do.

Good luck with which ever direction you take.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was coming to a ask similar question, I love Jaguars, I am looking to get a nice two door convert and I fell in love with the XK, I prefer 2003-2006, I don't mind XKR or XK8 but XKR seems to be supercharged and I really want to avoid big maintenance cost but I'd rather hear from the experts here? what do you guys think? this will be driven in the weekend maybe Friday to work, speed or performance difference isn't big for me since I also have a 2016 V8 charger which is faster than both anyway, I am looking to put maybe 2000 miles a year, I am looking for one with 70000 miles or less, what should I look for? what usually goes bad on these? I did read the plastic timing chain tensioner goes bad, ABS seems to fail, it is hard to find less than 70000 miles in my area, I live in Southern California but what I noticed owners here keep track of their service records, what would be a red flag on service history what could be a good sign?

Old 04-22-2019, 07:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks will take advice of all. I would hope that the 2006 has metal tensioners.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

The later 4.2L motors are all sorted and the trans it better if you go 2003-up there are less drivetrain worries, but all XK8/R's will need upper/lower shock mounts/ (or upper mounts/shocks for an XK8). Look for crumbling foam near the shock nuts under the hood.

On any car you look at, make sure EVERYTHING works. A good rule of thumb is to take off $500/$1000 off the asking price for everything that doesn't work.

Stuff like a torn lower ball joint rubber is $1,000 if you have someone do it. No, really, $1,000

I replaced mine myself and saved $800 (Spent $150 on a 20 ton press and $50 on ball joints) These cars can be fine drivers if you are mechanically inclined and have tools.and a big garage. Someone who pays people to fix everything should probably pass and buy a newer mustang convertible.

These are enthusiast cars that require enthusiasm.

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (04-26-2019)