Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key FOB going out of pairing

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:48 AM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Key FOB going out of pairing

Hi All,

The car sat a bit due to other things being fixed. When getting it back on the road, the remote stopped working. I reprogrammed it using the instructions on this forum. It all works fine, i get the beep, then i program all buttons. Everything works fine. Thing is after 2-3 hours the remote goes dead and i need to reprogram it again. The batteries are new. Any ideas why?

Thank you

Old 02-20-2018, 02:47 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

I don't like to see a thread with 0 Replies but the other 230 members who have Viewed your question are clearly as mystified as I am by this fob behaviour.

The only think I could think of was a conflicting source operating on the same frequency.

I've searched the forum and there's a lot of threads and posts on remote fobs. The only reported events that come anywhere near are all battery or button related.

Battery: faulty battery or poor battery contacts in the fob causing intermittent power (and hence pairing) loss.

Buttons: damaged coating on early fobs or sticking buttons on the later type.

I came across one solitary report of the same repeated pairing loss on the same model in another forum. There was a similar lack of inspiration in that thread; several suggestions to re-program the fob which made no difference and no explanations offered. Eventually in frustration the owner replaced the fob and this reportedly resolved the issue.

Graham

Old 02-20-2018, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
I don't like to see a thread with 0 Replies but the other 230 members who have Viewed your question are clearly as mystified as I am by this fob behaviour.

The only think I could think of was a conflicting source operating on the same frequency.

I've searched the forum and there's a lot of threads and posts on remote fobs. The only reported events that come anywhere near are all battery or button related.

Battery: faulty battery or poor battery contacts in the fob causing intermittent power (and hence pairing) loss.

Buttons: damaged coating on early fobs or sticking buttons on the later type.

I came across one solitary report of the same repeated pairing loss on the same model in another forum. There was a similar lack of inspiration in that thread; several suggestions to re-program the fob which made no difference and no explanations offered. Eventually in frustration the owner replaced the fob and this reportedly resolved the issue.

Graham
Hi Graham,

You're right, kind of lonely around here.

Regarding to your input, we are investigating a failure of the security module or of the antenna of the module, placed on the rear window, in the upper part. The fact that we can still program the FOB and it works for a few minutes, maybe an hour, is really intriguing. You can't blame either the Fob nor the module. I was hoping someone on this forum has encountered this before.

Thank you

Old 02-20-2018, 06:13 AM
Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I would take the fob apart and clean the circuit board thoroughly with contact cleaner ,especially where the battery mounts, let it dry and reassemble. then program again.
just like a main cpu on a computer there must be a circuit that retains a small amount of juice when the battery is changed, look for any sign of corrosion, maybe in the past its gotten wet. New fobs for later models are cheap and easy to obtain I know that is not the case with yours, good luck.
Jeremy

Old 02-20-2018, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

See for the X300 TSB 18 - 4 to 18 - 12 , may get you somewhere

Old 02-20-2018, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by jeremys
I would take the fob apart and clean the circuit board thoroughly with contact cleaner ,especially where the battery mounts, let it dry and reassemble. then program again.
just like a main cpu on a computer there must be a circuit that retains a small amount of juice when the battery is changed, look for any sign of corrosion, maybe in the past its gotten wet. New fobs for later models are cheap and easy to obtain I know that is not the case with yours, good luck.
Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

Actually, the symptomes appeared exactly after i thoroughly cleaned the fob. Before, the trunk and follow me home lights didn't work. I cleaned the fob with isopropylic alcohol and then when programming it everything worked. It's just that it's going out of sync. But we'll clean everything again.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

See for the X300 TSB 18 - 4 to 18 - 12 , may get you somewhere
Hello

We'll look into that too. Thank you

Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Trilapis
..... we are investigating a failure of the security module or of the antenna of the module .....
The antenna on the coupe rear window is a press stud fixing and can be dislodged when cleaning the glass. It either works or it doesn't depending on a positive connection. Always possible that there's harness damage leading from the connector.

I hope it isn't a Security Module issue as that could rapidly get expensive. There's very little information on it available outside the dealer network.

Graham

Old 02-20-2018, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
The antenna on the coupe rear window is a press stud fixing and can be dislodged when cleaning the glass. It either works or it doesn't depending on a positive connection. Always possible that there's harness damage leading from the connector.

I hope it isn't a Security Module issue as that could rapidly get expensive. There's very little information on it available outside the dealer network.

Graham
The dealer is my friend so hopefully we'll pull this through. Hope it's just a matter of reprogramming the module and not a hardware problem. We'll see.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts
Old 02-20-2018, 08:57 AM

this is how the FOB looks like:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132488202966

The following users liked this post:
Lady Penelope (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 09:27 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Trilapis
this is how the FOB looks like:
www.ebay.com/itm/132488202966
That listing is for a US frequency (315 mhz) fob. Your IP Address suggests your vehicle would be on European 433 mhz standard .......?

Graham

Old 02-20-2018, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
That listing is for a US frequency (315 mhz) fob. Your IP Address suggests your vehicle would be on European 433 mhz standard .......?

Graham
yes, i was just showing to Penelope how the FOB looks like...