Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Leaking Rotary (neutral Safety) Switch (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/leaking-rotary-neutral-safety-switch-188558/)

platinummaker 09-02-2017 01:07 PM

Leaking Rotary (neutral Safety) Switch

Hi Guys,
Have recently noticed a small puddle left by my 98 XK8. Usually dry as a bone until recently. Got it up this morning and noticed trans fluid apparently leaking from the rotary switch. There is a seal for the selector shaft coming out of the side of the transmission that I would have thought to be the source of the leak, but it appears to be not the case. Have thoroughly cleaned the switch, but it appears fluid is seeping from two points where the plastic part and metal parts of the switch are riveted together. I can't see how that would be possible as I don't think fluid should be anywhere near, and certainly not in the switch.
So that brings me to think that the fluid is making it out of the seal and leaking down on the inside of the switch and I can't see the leak.
Has anyone had any experience with replacing that seal? Hopefully trans can stay in the car....help Mr. Wizard!!
Many Thanks!

platinummaker 09-03-2017 11:37 AM

Leaking Rotary (neutral Safety Switch)

Guys as suspected and confirmed by a more thorough look/see, the seal for the selector shaft is leaking.
Wheras I would assume the seal to be relatively cheap, I'm not so clear on installation.
I'm sure some of the fluid would have to be drained and replaced along with removal of the switch. Not sure if it can be done with the trans still in the car.
I'm thinking so, but it would be really tight trying to make it happen.
Anyone in the brain trust have experience with this that they could share?
Many thanks!

Truck Graphics 09-04-2017 11:09 AM

I replaced my rotary switch but don't recall any fluid leaking from inside the transmission, even when I removed the switch. Not that it couldn't. There was, however, quite a mess of "combination" fluids that had puddled above the switch when I got the car and fluids in this location can travel down the cable (wires) to the rotary switch. Have you looked for a fluid puddle above the switch, below the throttle body, near the firewall? Of course if you have removed the switch and fluid ran out, then I would imagine there is a transmission problem (beyond my experience as well).

johns55 01-01-2018 01:12 PM

Have you had any luck sorting this leak out? I have the same problem.

platinummaker 01-02-2018 08:42 AM

It was a $3 rubber seal leaking from the selector shaft. Easy fix. Jacked car up,extracted old seal with dentist pick, pressed new seal in place. As I recall selector switch had to come out.

johns55 01-05-2018 08:00 AM

I'm working on it now. Having trouble getting the old seal out using picks. The seal is hard as a rock.

Jnelso 08-17-2019 05:32 PM

I realize this is an old post, but would like to know if you anyone had ATF leak at neutral switch and successfully replaced the seal behind the switch. Apparently I have a leak at the switch.