Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   LED Headlights (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/led-headlights-211962/)

E.. 12-20-2018 09:55 PM

LED Headlights

I have a '99 XK8
Has anyone dared change to LED bulbs with a kit?
How hard was it?
Did you get any faults after?
Regrets?
What kit did you use?

I go back and forth ... Electrical is a soft spot on the jaguar ... do I mess with it?

150FHC 12-21-2018 12:52 AM

I look forward to the comments on this as I have also pondered using LED high beams. My '06 has HID low beams but--oddly--halogen high beams, which I find rather anemic, compared to my Land Rover LR3, which has HID high and low. Of course, part of that may be that the Rover sits up a lot higher. I like the idea of LED conversion of the high beams, as I imagine that it's a lot simpler and cheaper than an HID conversion, but have heard that there are LED swaps that are junk and want to get it right if I do it at all.

Granville

bcprice36 12-22-2018 08:08 PM

The Big E.. The Electic Light Man!!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...f067c4e2b5.jpg
New LED Bulbs and new HID Bulbs and Basllast
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...e996529870.jpg
The old LED Bulbs with the thick Stalk & Round-End
E.. Man,
I've never figured it out either! Why have nice HID Low Beams and underperforming Halogen High Beams on a Sports Car? I guess that's back when Ford ran things! Anyway, let's do something about it! First of all, you need to go to www.CarID.com and follow directions to Jaguar High-Beams......You find it under 1998 Jaguar XK-Type Headlight Bulbs....Look for the Lumen G7 Kit...$97.95.....You get everything you will need to set-up your new LED High Beams.....While you are looking them over, you will note that these Bulbs have a narrower Stalk and that the LED's are in a little better position and there are 3 of them, which puts the Light in a better position to shine on the Reflector......The Reflector was designed for the light source inside the Halogen Bulb....These LED's are designed to replicate that Light source, therefore directing the light as the Halogen was designed. That's why the Stalk is thin, not rounded and there is no rounded end. If you use one of the other LED Bulbs, you will note that the Stalk is thicker and the end is round with a big (E) on the end.....The G7 has an (E) on the end also, but it's much smaller....
The new technology is to place the Light Source where the Halogen Bulb's is, so that it will reelect the Light from the Reflector the same way as it was designed. That way the Reflector aims the light doesn't scatter it all over! It really is better as my first Set were the G8 Bulbs....
You will get everything you need in the Kit to set up you XK and you will be Happy! Now, I'm going to try and upload a Photo of both Light Patterns from "Sweet Sugar's" Left Headlight!...

Good Luck!

Billy Clyde in Houston

150FHC 01-16-2019 08:04 PM

Radio Static?

I got all warm and fuzzy Billy Clyde reading your post and saved it for reference. I am keen to upgrade my XK8's wimpy halogen high beams (have HID low beams), based upon your recommendations. However I won't get to this for a while and meanwhile read this post by a knowledgeable friend on another forum:

"Just a note. I’ve installed a couple of sets of LED H4 replacements in various vehicles and also some LED interior lamps in my ‘95 RRC. We have pretty poor radio reception here and the LED lamps create really obnoxious static on the radio."

Comments?

Thx, Granville

Johnken 01-16-2019 08:51 PM

150, I can't imagine how an LED could cause RF interference. These are straight connections between the 12volt DC headlight wire and the LED right? Perhaps it uses a resistor to limit current, but it's not like its using a switching power supply.

I have heard of LED lights causing EMI in the house, but these setups are working with 120v AC to start with. They complicate the circuit with transformers and more.

Theres just nothing there that produces RFI (radio frequency interference). I think you will be ok.

John

bcprice36 01-16-2019 08:53 PM

150FHC Granville,

First I've heard anything about "Static" especially "Obnoxious" static......I thought all static was obnoxious! First of all, I don't use the Radio as I prefer the CD system and can make my own "MUSIC" through the internet....An Amazing World, isn't it? For you, I will go out one night and turn on the Radio (a 2005 Model) and check for "Static"....and let you know what I hear.....and Granville, I have found an even better LED Bulb than the one I told you about at: https://headlightrevolution.com/
These are made for the crazy Pick-Up Guys that like to Blind you at night...but of course they cost more..

Billy Clyde

baxtor 01-16-2019 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by bcprice36 (Post 2014569)
150FHC Granville,

First I've heard anything about "Static" especially "Obnoxious" static......I thought all static was obnoxious! First of all, I don't use the Radio as I prefer the CD system and can make my own "MUSIC" through the internet....An Amazing World, isn't it? For you, I will go out one night and turn on the Radio (a 2005 Model) and check for "Static"....and let you know what I hear.....and Granville, I have found an even better LED Bulb than the one I told you about at: https://headlightrevolution.com/
These are made for the crazy Pick-Up Guys that like to Blind you at night...but of course they cost more..

Billy Clyde

Interesting, I followed your link Billy and they also list along with the LED's, static reducing clip on ferrite rings.

frankc 01-17-2019 03:42 AM

I changed my High beams on my 2003 XKR to HID and the difference was dramatic. I should have done this when I first got the car. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Will try and put up a link to what I did............... brb.

Here you go https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...=1#post1025402
As you will see its a big improvement.

baxtor 01-17-2019 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by frankc (Post 2014649)
I changed my High beams on my 2003 XKR to HID and the difference was dramatic. I should have done this when I first got the car. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Will try and put up a link to what I did............... brb.

Here you go https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...=1#post1025402
As you will see its a big improvement.

Altered high beam light patterns l could probably live with but if your low beams have been transformed to such an extent as to throw light equivalent to high beam l might not be happy driving toward you.

bcprice36 01-17-2019 10:02 PM

The Static Guys!

Originally Posted by baxtor (Post 2014661)
Altered high beam light patterns l could probably live with but if your low beams have been transformed to such an extent as to throw light equivalent to high beam l might not be happy driving toward you.

Baxtor & Granville,...

Everyone is so concerned with Radio Static and LED Bulbs that I just got back from about 15 miles on the back roads out here in West Houston/Harris County.....I was able to turn on my Radio, which works quite well thank you! and hit the high beams (LED)…..the New ones as described in my last Reply (above)….The Beam was perfect and Bright, stayed down and flat across the Road....Then I listened for Static, of which I heard NONE! That's with both the HID Low Beams and the LED High Beams on! I could see very well both while driving with my Low Beams, in Traffic and with both Beams out of the Traffic.....I'm very happy with my set-up and am extremely Glad that I made the change! These new LED Bulbs have been perfected and are brighter and cleaner than the first one's were. The new ones cost more also! The LED's are placed in the proper place for the Reflectors and the Stocks are slim with no Rounded Ends...as shown in the Photos I posted above...

Baxtor, I assume if you were to come to Houston and met me coming down the Road with my Low Beams on...It would probably not be any brighter than one of the new Lexus's or Acura's with all those little Lights shining at you....After all, mine are only HID Low Beams until I hit the LED Bright's....and you can see above what they look like...(see the Photo's - go back to 12/21/18)

If you use you XKR any at all during the Night on the Highway, you need to make this change!. If you haven't, you are making yourself very uncomfortable...I remember straining to see on dark roads...very uncomfortable....not so anymore, as this has relieved all that eye strain...This is something you need to do, if you own a XKR or XK8....I promise, you will break your arm patting yourself on the back for doing this!

Billy Clyde in Houston

User 070620 04-23-2019 08:18 AM

what type of multi-led hi-beam light use this car?

primaz 04-23-2019 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by deuce2000 (Post 2059445)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwl9A30jDTi/

what type of multi-led hi-beam light use this car?

I think those are made by this company
https://www.grantleydesign.com/jagua...kr-lights.html

frankc 04-24-2019 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by baxtor (Post 2014661)

I can see your point but your making a lot of assumptions. The low beams were originally HID. All I have done is put in more powerful HID's. The pattern or light throw is exactly the same. I have never been flashed by other motorists protesting that my dipped beams were causing a problem. It has also passed the MOT, the British car safety and worthiness check, twice. In the tests they check the pattern and strength of the light.

Also my lights, like most others on the road, are within legal limits. Both upper and lower beams. No blue light coming from my car or they would have failed the test mentioned above. The systems I fitted were not the cheap Ebay jobs but made in the UK under stringent rules.

Last of all the best thing about my new lights is it makes driving much, much safer. You don't have to be Einstein to work out that it's safer if you can see better at night. As stated previously its one of the best upgrades you can do to our cars. I wish I had done it years ago.

Lastly if I were driving towards you one of us would be lost. Your in Australia and I am in UK.

Barry_Tucker 04-25-2019 07:02 AM

I bought an LED dip/low beam kit and the issue that I have is that I can see no way to use the retaining clip that holds the original halogen bulb in place to hold the new LED bulb. The LED fits into the headlamp assembly fine but the spring clip will never be able to fit over the much larger back of the LED.

sklimii 04-25-2019 07:42 AM

Barry - which LED kit did you buy? I'm looking into the Lumen G7 kit which has a removable heat sink so that you can fit the clip, then reinstall the heat sink and connect - here is the link https://www.carid.com/lumen/g7-led-headlight-conversion-kit.html Just change vehicle year and it should show you the correct option

bcprice36 04-25-2019 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Barry_Tucker (Post 2060551)
I bought an LED dip/low beam kit and the issue that I have is that I can see no way to use the retaining clip that holds the original halogen bulb in place to hold the new LED bulb. The
LED fits into the headlamp assembly fine but the spring clip will never be able to fit over the much larger back of the LED.

Barry,

Sorry that you bought an LED Kit for you Low Beams! The best way is to just buy new Bulbs or whatever you call them! I guess igniters and new Ballast for your Low Beams, as they are really good enough but you probably need new one because they are "OLD"! It's been 15 years since they were new......I did this with excellent results about 4 months ago...…. and as I said I changed the High Beams to LED, as they truly give excellent results and will fit the High Beams! Why not try your LED Kit in your High Beams and see if they will fit there? If not, switch them with the Seller????

Best way to go, Barry

Billy Clyde

Barry_Tucker 04-25-2019 10:50 AM

I have new bulbs in my high beams and am quite happy with them. My low /dip beams are halogen , not HID and are not great. I know there have been lots of discussions here about headlights ...but believe me :) my 2004 has halogen light for both high and low beams. All I want is to brighten up my low beams. I tried brand new top of the line H1 bulbs from Sylvannia but the difference from the old bulbs was insignificant so I hoped to be able to use an LED conversion. The problem , as I said, is with the retaining clip. I may well return them and look for a kit with removable heat sink ( which "should" work fine )

bcprice36 04-25-2019 11:35 AM

Barry,

You are hung-up on "Lights that don't fit" ! You don't have the correct KIT...…………….

Go to: https://www.headlightexperts.com/

Enter your information and it will take you to a page that offers both HID kits or LED Kits for your Jaguar at a great price and they "FIT"

This is all you have to do, Barry!

BC

Barry_Tucker 04-25-2019 11:48 AM

That's where I got them from. I even emailed them to be "sure". The bulbs do indedd "fit" the H1 bulb socket but there is no way to use the Jaguar retaining clip , that I can figure out. I'm going to email them again to see if I am just being dense !

bcprice36 04-25-2019 11:59 AM

OUOTE=Barry_Tucker;2060679]That's where I got them from. I even emailed them to be "sure". The bulbs do indedd "fit" the H1 bulb socket but there is no way to use the Jaguar retaining clip , that I can figure out. I'm going to email them again to see if I am just being dense ![/QUOTE]

Barry, You are not "dense"! These Guys will help......BC