Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on JLR SDD readings - Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 12:39 AM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Looking for advice on JLR SDD readings - Transmission

Hey Fellas,

So I now have the JLR-SDD software and I have been playing with it.

My transmission has been giving me grief since I did the fluid change on it. I'm getting transmission faults and gear ratio codes are getting thrown.

So I monitored the pressure valves in the transmission and according to the SDD data, three of them are out of whack pretty badly but that's what I want to check with here as I don't have any experience with these transmissions or the software. My curiosity is if this clearly points to the problems I am having or could these readings be caused by other issues.

Car was idling in park when the readings were taken.

Pressure Regulator 1 - 50mA
Pressure Regulator 2 - 950mA
Pressure Regulator 3 - 50mA
Pressure Regulator 4 - 580mA
Pressure Regulator 5 - 780mA
Pressure Regulator 6 - 50mA

It looks to me based on the very high numbers on 2, 4, 5 that my valve body has issues. Would you agree or again are there other things to consider here?

Old 07-28-2017, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Can you post the actual codes, and more specifics about the symptoms?

Before going in too deep, make sure the external inputs are fine, too. Do a quick check of the reluctor/ABS ring on the driver rear wheel. It needs to be solid with the axle. If not, the car has inconsistent input as to the road speed and throws code to that effect (Invalid gear ratio, restricted performance, etc.). It has been reported before.

For the solenoids, remember some are "normally open", others are "normally closed", and all are controlled by PWM. One would assume that for a solenoid that is, say, normally open, it would take a lot more current on average to maintain it closed, than another solenoid that is normally closed to begin with. So these high number are not necessarily bad on the face of it.

Have you located the quick tutorial on SDD? My understanding is that you need to let the software get the codes (which it does automatically), and then you have to enter the symptoms, INCLUDING the warning lights and messages in message center. Then you let SDD tell you how to proceed. So, the effectiveness of the tool is mostly in how you enter these symptoms, either very broad, or very narrow, either lots of them, or one at a time. I lack that experience myself...

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:29 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by razorboy
My transmission has been giving me grief since I did the fluid change on it. I'm getting transmission faults and gear ratio codes are getting thrown.
I would suspect a fluid level problem???
If that is when these faults occurred, then it might be the reason??

bob

Old 07-28-2017, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the input fellas.

I will start by testing the fluid level again.
I would like to think I did it properly having the vehicle level, transmission at the correct operating temperature and having between a very light stream and drip before plugging it up but I can't see the harm in checking it again for sure.

I also want to get the car out and run with the computer hooked up to see how those readings change. I'm going to run the test again tonight just to confirm the numbers again and also to grab the SDD spec on the range they should be in. The software won't operate off line to the vehicle :/

Old 07-28-2017, 08:03 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The correct temp for fluid level is AS SOON AS THE ENGINE IS STARTED here in North America in the Summer. 30 degrees C is fine.
I walk into my shop in the morning and it is almost 30 C. here in Texas.

bob

Old 06-29-2018, 10:00 AM

Issue has been resolved - please see this thread

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-intel-203967/