XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy an XK8 – A few questions…..

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 11:47 AM
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Looking to buy an XK8 – A few questions…..

I am looking to buy an XK8. I have previously owned a 2004X-Type and currently own a 2012 XF as my daily driver. The XK8 would be for weekends and Saturdaynights.

I have read a lot of posts on what to look for. I have narrowed my search to a car between 2003and 2006.

I do have a few questions:
  • Which matter more, mileage or age? I’ve seen a 2003 with 40,000 miles and I’ve seen a 2006 with 60,000 miles. How much does mileage matter? I am not looking for a high mileage car, but I’m not clear how much mileage should factor into my decision. Should I avoid cars over a certain mileage? Should I pay a premium for an exceptionally low mileage car?
  • Are there any significant differences between the 2003/2004/2005/2006 models that would favor one year over the others?
  • Is there anything that I should avoid whentrying to choose a car?
Any help and advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Last edited by khsjsilver; 06-28-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:41 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Ken,

When buying a used car, Jaguar or not, mileage is a good place to start, but don't let it be the sole determining factor. Cars with very low mileage are suspect as they may have lain in storage for a long time and no car "likes" that as it leads to leaking seals, water in the brake system, etc. Cars that have been driven around 3,000 to 6,000 miles a year seem to be a good place to start as it's about a quarter to half of the average mileage driven in the US, but indicates that the car has probably been used regularly.

That said, condition is everything. Service records are a very valuable thing for the car to have! The model year is much less important in my experience. You are looking at the best years of the X100 models as far as I can tell. The 4.2 engine coupled with the 6 speed transmission is the way to go according to my research. As far as the individual years I will defer to those more knowledgeable than I, but I liked the slight styling changes for the '05 and '06 models, but don't think that there is much improvement mechanically, but, again, others know more about it than I.

There are certain age/mileage related issues in these cars: the transmission oil should be changed regardless of what the factory says, the suspension bushings tend to give up starting at about 50K miles (YMMV), the supercharger oil (if you opt for a XKR) needs to be changed about the same time as the transmission oil.... those sorts of things. Overall the cars are reasonably dependable, but complicated, so you will probably face a series of smaller issues rather than major failings.

So...if you get a car with 40K miles and an excellent service history you MAY save some money on maintenance over a the "same" car with 60K miles. By 80K miles I would look for some of the items I listed above to have been addressed, or budget for them and negotiate accordingly. Of course low mileage cars bring a premium in the market so either you pay up front or you pay later.

Don't forget that the hunt is half the fun! Be patient and buy the best car you can find that falls into your budget.

Last edited by Wagon Willie; 06-28-2017 at 03:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wagon Willie:
Charbinjr (06-28-2017), SeabeeMike (10-29-2021)
Old 06-28-2017, 04:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Patience is key here Willie. You, like me, will find terrific support right here on the forum. It really helps keep ones sanity knowing there are folks that love to help, IF you should run into any problems.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:58 PM

Charbinjr,

Yep, I waited a couple of years before pulling the trigger on my "new" XKR but I'm pleased with the example I ended up with. As usual I spent a bit more than my original budget, but isn't that the way it always goes?!?

Old 06-28-2017, 07:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That's a fact. Enjoy the ride! Glad you're with us.
Charlie

Old 06-28-2017, 07:52 PM

Thanks, Charlie! So far it's been fun; but I do wonder what's gonna break. I've owned Jaguars and other British marks, including a slew of motorcycles, so you'd think that I'd know better, but I keep coming back! So many of my past cars were just so great, when they ran. I've become a reasonably passable mechanic as a result, but only because I loved, but could not always afford, various cars so buying broken ones was a cheap way to own something I liked. In fact one of my very first cars was a broken '59 MGA coupe. $300 plus repairs. Then it was nice! Then something else broke. Then I fixed it and it was nice! Then something else broke.... rinse and repeat.

The following users liked this post:
Charbinjr (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Cool Toys are for keeping!

Charbinjr,

First thing is to determine what year XKR you want....The 2003 -2004 are pretty much the same Car.....except the 2004 doesn't have the Side-Molding running down the side....Everything else is pretty much the same as with the 2005-2006, with the exception of the new Nose with the double openings and Larger Mesh Grill. The 2005-2006 also have the Lower Rocker Panel Molding that matches-up with the new Nose-piece...That's why I got a 2005....I think those two things really make the X-100 the Dream Car it was designed to be....Now from that point, it's up to you as to the mileage and obviously the care the Car has had....Look at the Records, sometimes care out weights mileage! Finally, what Color combination do you want.....You can't be to picky now as the 2006 is now over 11 years old, so pick 2 or 3 that you can live with......Then get on the internet, Cars.com and such!

Good Luck and don't be in a hurry! Billy Clyde

Old 06-29-2017, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by khsjsilver
Are there any significant differences between the 2003/2004/2005/2006 models that would favor one year over the others?
The short version here is what looks you prefer. The whole X100 series is by and large a re-imagination of the old XKE by Jaguar/Ford. If you are looking for a car that fall more squarely in line with that, then go with the earlier 2003 (maybe 2004?). It's more truthful to the original idea, in a sense. On the other hand, if you prefer Jaguar's effort at modernizing the looks, then the later 2005-06 is for you.

Is there anything that I should avoid when trying to choose a car?
It's hard to say, but keep in mind that this whole car quest you are on is driven by a market of low-supply and low-demand. There are not that many cars to chose from, but not that many people want them. So, at any given time there will only be so many cars to choose from. Avoid rushing into anything. Many of us here looked for a few months before the right car came along. Last, it is probably best to mentally prepare yourself to the idea that whatever car you get will eventually be afflicted by ALL the ailments that are reported on this forum. After all, these cars are made of the same parts, coming off the same assembly line and having roughly the same age. The newest car is 10 year old. Read dsd's assessment here: cautionary-tale-176883.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Last edited by fmertz; 06-30-2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 06-29-2017, 10:58 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Condition and history are crucial with any used Jaguar. Much more important than model year.

Mileage never especially bothers me provided the service records are detailed and continuous. Many owners of low mileage Jaguars have an unrealistic idea of their value. Stamps in a service book alone don't impress - a file full of relevant receipts does.

Number of previous owners is a fixation I have. Be suspicious of a current owner selling after a short period of time.

When assesssing a potential purchase, if you aren't familiar with the model and year, spend some time with the handbook to make sure everything works. Apparently minor electrical issues on these vehicles can be costly to rectify. Include in this verifying the 2 x Remotes, 2 x Master Keys and 1 x Valet Key are present and work. Remotes aren't difficult or expensive to source but keys need dealer level diagnostics to program them.

Graham

Old 06-30-2017, 07:34 AM
Gom
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a 2011 XK Coupe two years ago. I did not drive it or even sit in it until I handed the dealer the check 12,000 miles and the look was the reason. I also respect my dealer and knew that they would back up the car. Buy a coupe.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by fmertz
Read dsd's assessment.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Sorry to sound like a Newbie, but what is the "dsd's assessment." ??

Thanks,

Ken

Old 06-30-2017, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

what is the "dsd's assessment." ?
Forum user dsd was kind enough to share a candid assessment of his own experience buying and restoring his car to his standard. I updated the post above with a link.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by fmertz
Forum user dsd was kind enough to share a candid assessment of his own experience buying and restoring his car to his standard. I updated the post above with a link.

Excellent thread!!!

Thanks,

Ken