Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Love my first Jaguar! (1997 XK8 Coupe) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/love-my-first-jaguar-1997-xk8-coupe-169153/)

Andreas Schmieg 09-11-2016 09:30 PM

Love my first Jaguar! (1997 XK8 Coupe)

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted a champagne Jaguar XK8 Coupe since I had a champagne 1999 Camaro V6 with similar lines and an acceleration pattern like a Swiss watch. OK, Swiss watches don't actually accelerate. In between I tried a 1994 C4 Corvette, but didn't care for the hard suspension or the brutal acceleration. Plus I need back seats for my kids.

Now I finally found a beautiful champagne 1997 Jaguar XK8 Coupe with only 52,000 miles on it. Not a scratch, ding, or rust bubble on it.

This car is a dream. A more torque than my V6 Camaro, but not as brutal as the Corvette. And the acceleration pattern is exactly how I like it. You slowly put the pedal to the floor and the machine goes through the gears without yanking you forth and back in your seat. No wild roar either.

I love looking at the wavy lines and curves in the morning and enjoy the quality interior where everything still works after 20 years. I am still trying to learn how to tuck her into corner parking spaces without using the electric mirrors.

Most of the time I just enjoy how she glides down the freeway with little effort. "Wow! It is sooo quiet." is the common theme from all my passengers. I let others pass and merge and arrive at work more relaxed.

I won't care when the first repairs come in and cost a little more. And the drive train has an extended warranty (that Dave Ramsey would hate) for peace of mind. A classy lady can demand a little more maintenance.

It will be really hard to put her away this winter and drive my winter Saturn again. Well, unless I find a champagne winter Jaguar ...

Andy

Ungn 09-11-2016 10:43 PM

I love my coupe, too. You have a keeper, there.

Front end doesn't appear "too low" so the shocks/shock mounts still have life in them. Only the Secondary Timing chain adjusters would be a worry. A car that looks as well cared for as that one may have had them done.

Definitely don't drive it in the winter. That car is too nice.

brgjag 09-12-2016 08:41 PM

I am a Dave Ramsey fan.
My first concern if you have no paperwork saying it has been done is to get the timing chain tensioner issue looked at. At this stage of these cars years, yours almost 20 years, low miles DOES NOT mean they are not at least cracked. With that car is such great shape if you can't do it i would HIGHLY recommend that you have the covers pulled and inspect them. If they crap out at hwy speed or the like, BYE BYE motor. That said if you ever get in it and start it before you see iof they need replaced and you here a slapping sound from the front of the motor, DON'T start it up again. A tensioner has let loose. If you try to run it you run the chance of bending a valve at the least.
PLEASE have this looked into ASAP. I had a 97, it was GREAT looking, awesome shape, miles around 80k as I recall, then all hell broke loose.

brgjag 09-12-2016 08:43 PM

I would look CLOSE at that extended warranty and make sure of it stipulations, Dave R. is right in why not to buy them, they are a pain in the ass to get things fixed. I would not rest on that as a fix all when something happens to that car, and it will, it is a Jag.

Matthew Chidester 09-13-2016 11:42 AM

Your car looks very beautiful - I wish sometimes I had gotten the coupe :) enjoy the car and yeah make sure those timing chain tensions are done so you can sleep at night lol.

Anyway beautiful car well done :)

Catawba 04-01-2017 01:37 PM

Our first also

Wife saw 2001 XK8 for sale and bought it. First time I saw it was when she pulled up to the airport to pick me up. Now I know why she calls her Sweet Pea. This is our first Jag. Let the adventure begin.

bcprice36 04-01-2017 05:08 PM

Andres, That surely does look like my first XK8! I found the 97 in Louisville and drove it back to Houston...but it was called Topaz not Champagne......Although they look alike! That's the Jag that the Guy chased me down to buy....His Wife told him she wanted that Jag or she was going to leave him....When I stopped, She came running over to the car and hopped in just like it was her own! It was the very next day...She was happy, He was Happy and I was on my way to NYC to get a Black XKR Coupe that I had found that night on the internet.....I guess you could say we were all about as happy as you! Strange what a beautiful Jaguar can do............

Billy Clyde in Houston

agd 04-02-2017 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Andy:

Great looking car!

Everyone has his own taste, but as you can tell by the attached photo of my Jag, we must share the appreciation for the smooth lines and curves of the coupe, the dignified elegance of Topaz paint and even the recognition of the harmony of the original wheels with the rest of the styling.

Good luck with it.

Andy