Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Low Coolant (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/low-coolant-42361/)

kiphome 09-18-2010 10:49 AM

Low Coolant

Hi,

Just had the low coolant alert come on and looking at the reservoir, it looks pretty low.

Do I need jaguar coolant or will some aftermarket coolant do? Brands recomendations much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Kip

Paul Pavlik 09-18-2010 01:19 PM

The Coolant Cap on my car had a Spec# that turned out to be the exact same Number that is on Prestone Dexcool. I used that without any problems

H20boy 09-19-2010 01:45 AM

The coolant is going somewhere...

kiphome 09-19-2010 09:49 AM

Case of the disappearing coolant

H2O,

Yeah i thought about that and have been doing some reading here to figure out what the issue might be. I just had the light come on so I haven't gotten to the investigative stage yet!

I am sure I will be back with questions once I see if it continues to disappear!

Kip

Skid Mark 09-19-2010 11:42 AM

At least when your coolant level trips the alarms it means something. When I add fluid after the warnings, it's generally about 4-6 ounces!

Needless to say, it comes on a lot. :icon_headbang:

captom 09-19-2010 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by kiphome (Post 245859)
Hi,

Brands recomendations much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Kip

Hi, I found coolant with the specification WSS M97B44-D (as stated in the Vehicle Care Handbook) at Ford dealer. I´m using 50/50 mixture.

Tom

Shouldbeworkin 09-19-2010 02:39 PM

My coolant warning just started tripping as well and about a week after I had it in for an oil change. The car's an '06 and hasn't had the coolant replaced, which I believe is due every 5 years. The warning will turn on and off as I roll up or down a hill.

At this point I'm going to top it off a bit and keep an eye on it.

Skid Mark 09-19-2010 08:03 PM

Yes! The coolant warning always starts up when I go up a slight grade, then it will go out sometimes when I start back down. Sometimes it will stay on, so I jink the car back and forth to slosh the fluid around a bit, and sometimes it goes out. Of course, it's hard for the fluid to slosh, when it's only got about a quarter inch of space in the top of the reservoir!

You know, this brings up something I need to get off my chest. The main problem with all these alerts, cautions, check engine lights, warnings, messages, and everything else (except advice on my love life) that this car creates, is the fact that:

1) The warnings/cautions cannot be reset, to keep the ability to warn you in case something else goes wrong. Try having a system like that in an airplane, and it would never get certified airworthy.

2) What ever the "current crisis message" is cannot be acknowledged and removed so that things like range, or current MPG, or miles traveled on A or B odometer, etc can be retained because frankly, their information is more relevant than 90% of these computer generated annoyances.

Well, I feel better now. If anyone agrees with me, should we advise Jaguar of our displeasure and help them in time to design the 2013 XK to eliminate these flaws?