Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Lower Engine Cover (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/lower-engine-cover-110438/)

berkowit28 01-22-2014 01:30 PM

Lower Engine Cover

The lower engine cover on my 2005 XK8 coupe is damaged/broken, from being scraped too often. It was the cause of thwacking noises at speed on the highway, and has been removed. But my local dealer can't find the part anywhere (C2N2744). He says there are 15 back-ordered already - I'm not sure if that's at the regional Jag parts depot probably in Los Angeles, or nationally in the US. (I live in southern California.) He has also searched his whole network of dealers and suppliers and can't find a single one. It could be months, or maybe never, before one appears.

It's a symmetrical part, and he says most likely the same for LHD and RHD. So I guess I could even look to buy one in the UK if there's one available there. But it would be better to find one in N. America, as it's a big part, if not heavy, so probably would not be inexpensive to ship from the UK or Europe. Does anyone have any ideas? It's virtually guaranteed that a scrapyard place with used parts will not work since this part is almost always damaged from wear. The dealer tried several of those already.

Fulton 01-22-2014 01:34 PM

Jaguar C2N2744 Front Bumper Grille Lower Cover | eBay
or
UNDERTRAY - Terrys Jaguar Parts - C2N2744

try those

berkowit28 01-22-2014 01:40 PM

Thanks - I will!

GGG 01-22-2014 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by berkowit28 (Post 895711)
......... It's a symmetrical part, and he says most likely the same for LHD and RHD. .......

The same part is used on both LHD and RHD.

Graham

berkowit28 01-22-2014 02:00 PM

And it worked. Terry's has one, I ordered it, it's only $15 shipping UPS Ground, so should get here in about 5 days, I think. Many thanks, Fulton.

Fulton 01-22-2014 02:13 PM

Glad to be of help, Hope the project goes smoothly.

berkowit28 01-22-2014 02:38 PM

Well, this was interesting. It turned out that Terry's didn't actually have one in stock, and couldn't find one. I tried the place listed on eBay (cheaper, but new part), also a Jaguar dealer, and they had sold their last one "a few days ago" and also couldn't find one. "None available". He could check worldwide, and just three in the world: 1 each in Germany, Nether;ands, and Canada, but not available to him. He gave me a contact number in Canada, which turned out to be in Quebec City, and, after another phone call - they still had theirs. So I've ordered that one. I've still got to wait for the shipping cost, but it will be better than from Germany, for sure.

Fulton 01-22-2014 02:51 PM

I checked all the other suppliers I have bookmarked and got the same result, out of stock or special order. The Canadian dollar is only worth $.90 US today so that will help. Hopefully shipping and customs won't be too painful. I found one dealer I've never used and their website lists one in stock:
C2N2744 UNDERTRAY - Jaguar
Be careful going into the driveway, may be the last one