Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Feedback Road “feel” using poly bushes

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default More Feedback Road “feel” using poly bushes

Just did the front suspension refresh - upper strut mounts, bushes etc using poly. Generally accepted upgraded more modern parts with firmer, more durable poly components. But...

I now have noticeably extra road feedback now. Preferable to driver’s looking for a more sporty ride, where you can feel what the car is doing. It was the same on my previous Porsches.... but I’m not sure it was what I was expecting on my 1999 XK8.

Let’s see if I just get used to it.

The following users liked this post:
Timeisrelative (07-12-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

David, don't worry, you'll get used to it in no time. I remember having the same reaction. IMO part of this is due to new vs old regardless of the poly material.

John

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 12:18 AM
Received 92 Likes on 47 Posts

Let us know if you get any squeaking.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:16 AM
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I will be following this as I will be changing some bushes shortly and have not decided whether to use poly or rubber, poly bushes seem very marmite; some people complain and even change back others love them. I do like sharp steering but I don't want to turn my XK8 into a bone shaker like the wife's MGF!

I imagine Bahrain has nicely engineered roads unlike the old sheep drovers lanes sprinkled with tarmac that I drive on?

Old 07-12-2019, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Not surprising that it now rides more truck-like than the comfortable touring car it was designed to be.

After all you traded a lot of your absorbing bushings for significantly less absorbing ones.

Getting used to it is something I would not want to do. And my passengers never would.

I would rather hear "wow this car rides way better than I expected" vs "damn I just bit the end of my tongue off on that last bump" :-)

Old 07-12-2019, 02:39 PM
Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

In my world there is always a sweetspot in the balance, in this case between comfort and absorption of road imperfections in one end of the scale as opposed to road feel and maximum control at the other end. I have renewed all bushings and joints in the front end of my Xkr -2000. Only the upper shock mounts are replaced with poly bushings (Welsh), all other bushings replaced with new rubber ones. In my case I want to keep the car comfortable, but with increased sharpness. Sharpness increased AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T AFFECT COMFORT IN A NEGATIVE WAY. This is where finding the sweetspot comes in. So far I'm happy with the result, the car behaves better on the road, it has now got a planted feeling, but without any anxiousness in the steering wheel. Its still a Jaguar and not a Lotus.

Next winter I will go on with the rear end and replace all bushings. Most likely with only rubber bushings. After that I can first really tell what needs to be done In terms of changing from standard spec if I want to change the balance between comfort and control. And in the quest for finding that sweetspot, where I get maximum control without loosing comfort

Last edited by Higgins; 07-12-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:51 PM
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rothwell
"damn I just bit the end of my tongue off on that last bump" :-)
Exactly why I'm sticking to 18" rims, every car I had with big rims and 'rizla' tyres was hobble on bumpy roads and ended up with 1-2 bent rims. I'm erring on side of of rubber bushes.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,347 Likes on 725 Posts

I’ve got a nearly full poly front set, stock rear that needs replacing, and 18 inch wheels. I find that the poly’s tightened the Jag’s handling at little expense to comfort. I love it.

However, I do still have the stock rubber upper wishbone bushes that I will be changing out soon. I hope that going full poly front won’t be jarring. I plan on doing full poly rear by the end of the year.

I would rather sacrifice comfort for longevity if it also improves handling.

It is considerably easier to remove and relube poly bushes than changing stock bushes.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default It's not that bad - just different

Originally Posted by rothwell
Not surprising that it now rides more truck-like than the comfortable touring car it was designed to be.

After all you traded a lot of your absorbing bushings for significantly less absorbing ones.

Getting used to it is something I would not want to do. And my passengers never would.

I would rather hear "wow this car rides way better than I expected" vs "damn I just bit the end of my tongue off on that last bump" :-)
Gents,

Feedback is not that bad, just different from before. Hard to explain - less Porsche handling, more Audi-like. Either I'm getting used to it, or the suspension is bedding in. It's not so terrible to warrant a re-do job.

funracer - No squeaking but let's see in the future when the PTFE assembly lube disappears.

laguillotine - Bahrain roads are lovely new asphalted surfaces so long as you're on the main highways. Lots of speed bumps on secondary roads, which is why I went with the suspension job.

giandanielxk8 - There is always give and take aka sacrificing comfort for durability, but to each his own. It's your car, do what you want - even if you screw things up!

Higgins - (quote) "Maximum control without losing comfort" - yah! but there's also an element of trying upgrades. As Steve Jobs said "If it's good, it's different." But also not everything different is good!

Anyway - Seems that poly upgrades is very much a "marmite" topic - love it, or hate it.