XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most annoying thing about your XKR

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

To fix the dangling key fob on the knee, you must do the flip key fob transplant.

The following 2 users liked this post by H20boy:
theweeb (10-15-2016), XxSlowpokexX (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
To fix the dangling key fob on the knee, you must do the flip key fob transplant.
You guys are killing me I swear!..Well the jaguars are.....

Old 01-27-2016, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Haha, .... I know that sounded funny, but he was referring to a no-kidding key fob Mod.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:34 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Yep the knee...

I am 6' 2" and hit the trunk button often. I can tell as after leaving the car with the alarm set, bingo, Is that my car blaring in the parking lot??

My cure, or I should say reduced mishaps, is to bring the wheel closer to me. You would think I'd need the extra room. The adjustment gives me enough room to avoid the trunk as well as turning on the wipers when I enter. Easier for me to enter car as well.
Be glad its not an electronic issue. Rich

Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX
Well...I figured I'd start of a different type of thread. I love my xkr..I think its sexy as all hell , sounds great..And well...LOVE IT...But there is one thing that annoys the crap out of me. My contribution to the thread.

1) It seems somehow I mysteriously manage to open my trunk and or gas cap filler lid. I don't know how...But it keeps happening. I figured maybe I was hitting the alarm button but my gas cap lid???? uggg...

Old 01-28-2016, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by scardini1
Haha, .... I know that sounded funny, but he was referring to a no-kidding key fob Mod.
Go here to learn more.

diy-flip-key-conversion-without-reprogramming-guide-pictures

Old 02-03-2016, 12:45 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Other than the speed limits in US, that forbids to really enjoy this car (+the missing LSD), I'd say the ride heigth!
In fact, because of these I might sell it...

Old 02-03-2016, 05:54 PM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ETexJag
Mine has a little quirk
where sometimes the doors don't unlock
and I have to use the key fob to unlock the doors to get out -
fun times
Mine will lock the doors as usual from the outside with the key, no fob yet, but I had read somewhere in the manual, and have played with this feature a few times, by turning the key to the unlock position first, then to the lock position and hold for ~three seconds, (don't quote me on the exact procedure), will lock both the outside door handles as well as the inside door handles, and keeps the windows from working, to keep people who have breached the vehicle through the convertible top, or your children, from exiting the vehicle through the doors, essentially locking them in the car. Though I have yet to be locked in the car from using this feature, you can tell when it engages because it makes this cool 'ZEEEET-ZEEEET' motor and cable draw sound in each door after all the normal 'clunking' locking noises have finished, you have to listen for it. And likewise, when unlocking the car, I believe the first noise is the cable/motor sound in reverse, with the previous, crisp, 'ZEEEET-ZEEEET' motor sound more subdued, and reduced to a single, short, 'ZEET', and the cable travel noise is different as well, more as if tension has been removed from the cable allowing it to return to it's 'normal' locked position before the familiar 'clunking' noises of the car unlocking begin. No change to unlock the car with the inner locks engaged, just unlock like normal, other than I have to use my key, again, no fob yet. I dread looking through the drivers manuals for it, because it is not on any 'quick start' cards, and I think it can only be done with the key, extra added security measure, and of course mine is a 2003 XKR Convertible, so there is the year/model difference to deal with, and I am also unsure whether or not this is a convertible only option or feature. Have you had any service or work done prior to the problem, where they would have removed the door panel(s) for any reason? Could it be your inner drivers door handle/mechanism is not fully unlocking the door when pulled, or a bent or slack rod inside the door, any rattles when closing the door, and do both doors remain locked when this occurs, or just the drivers door? If it is just the drivers door, I would definitely say door handle. I do not know to what extent the transmission auto door lock switch would factor in, if at all, but if it does not allow you to unlock the doors when the car is motion, as part of it's function, it might be at fault.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:27 AM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Most annoying thing about my XKR . . . If I leave it parked for more than 3 weeks I can expect something to have gone badly wrong with it!

In the 3 times I have had it parked up for a short while I’ve had:
1) Fuel Pump Failure
2) Gearbox ECU Failure
3) Engine Failsafe Mode & Incorrect part fitted – Currently investigating

Last edited by sweatyfox; 02-04-2016 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:10 PM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

1. No grab handle for the passenger

2. +1 on the aerial/CD

3. +1 on lack of SAT NAV update

Old 02-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Even now that I am aware of the knee hitting button issue and or key fob issue I still manage to open trunk or fuel door...And my satellite radio thing currently prevents me from doing the flip key mod

Old 02-09-2016, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Elgrosso
Other than the speed limits in US, that forbids to really enjoy this car (+the missing LSD), I'd say the ride heigth!
In fact, because of these I might sell it...
Ride height? Mine is lowered an inch, and other than an occasional scrape on a sleeping policeman (speed bump) with my lower than normal exhaust system, I haven't had any second thoughts about the height. Then again, I cut my teeth on Triumphs, MGBs and Fiats, so what the Hell do "I" know about ride height?!

Last edited by scardini1; 02-10-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scardini1
Ride height? Mine is lowered an inch an other than an occasional scrape on a sleeping policeman (speed bump) with my lower than normal exhaust system, I haven't had any second thoughts about the height. Then again, I cut my teeth on Triumphs, MGBs and Fiats, so what the Hell do "I" know about ride height?!
Mines low as well....Let me add hitting bumpstop to the annoying list..Either my springs are a bit weak or my bumpstop is shot...Looked fine though... Never bottom out

Old 02-14-2016, 04:16 PM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

I love my XKR more and more every time I set foot in it, but there are a couple of little things that bug me:

*The 30' aerial that deploys when playing a c.d., and the possibility of electrocution from a low slung power line coming into contact with it

*The fog lights switch off/on when the bright lights are flashed

*Stupid combo 'joystick' on outdated Nav to move between the selections, then you have to push it to enter the selection , thereby changing the option you had just selected because it's a stupid joystick

*Lack of proper warning labels, and information in the drivers handbook, to deal with the hoards of people drooling on my car; likewise a lack of exterior labels warning other drivers about the impending shame and regret they are about to feel for squaring up to me at a stoplight

Old 02-15-2016, 11:08 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

OK, sir 03XKR...the antenna issue is easily remedied. Do a search here for how-to.

Can't do anything about the fog/high beam issue, but you'll live, I bet . No different than any other modern auto lighting system out there. I's illegal to run them both at the same time.

Nav system is so obsolete as to be laughable, just can the thing and replace with the XK8 three gauge cluster (I speak from experience)...looks better and after all, that's what it's all about, isn't it . For less than $200, an off the shelf Garmin will out-perform that decrepit system by far, anyway.

The drooling problem, I have not found a solution to, other than to wash my XKR frequently . As to the shame and regret of others...too bad for them!!!

Last edited by Burnham; 02-15-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:46 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

If the 'cupholders' weren't maddeningly awful, it's the metal bracket that keeps popping out towards the shifter that reminds us of how awful that design was. And there's not another place to store a modest beverage, except perhaps wedged between the backseat and the passenger seat when it's moved all the way back, and even that takes some unsafe only-at-stoplights arm maneuvers.

I'm 6'3" and have never hit the trunk or gas cap buttons... you guys must not have your seats moved all the way back like I do? And after not being able to unplug my aerial, I just cut the wires. Then I heard about it the next time the wifey drove it and couldn't listen to her silly morning FM talk show...

Also, with 370hp in the 4.0 XKR, you'd think with the traction control off at least that it would light the tires up. I'm rarely one to ever hoon about, but on the rare occasion I get an all-clear opportunity to, I've never been able to unless turning a corner. Not sure what's up with that, but the thing seems notably slower and less eager from 0-60 than my 360hp 4.2 Audi S8. I buy my tires with high treadwear, but a few times a year, I want to see some damn smoke!

Old 02-17-2016, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't seem to get comfortable in the seats! The pedal\steering wheel distance and back rest angle always seem to be just slightly uncomfortable

Old 02-17-2016, 08:49 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

The biggest complaint I have while driving my XK8 is keeping the bugs out of my teeth while driving with the top down...

Old 02-17-2016, 10:17 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by calteg
I can't seem to get comfortable in the seats! The pedal\steering wheel distance and back rest angle always seem to be just slightly uncomfortable
It's the seat bottom tilt-angle for me, non-adjustable in my early XKR with the first generation seats. I always find myself slouching and having to scoot back up. The pedal distance is fine for me, I just wish the seats were more adjustable, though I like the classier looks of the early seats more than the otherwise far-superior Recaros of later years. (I have Recaro sport seats in my S8- best. seats. ever. period. infinity.)

Last edited by Sentinelist; 02-17-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Worst problem: Banging my head getting into it. Ouch!

Seats could more adjustable and the steering wheel could come out an inch more.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:46 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

All very amusing! I've only had my '06 XK8 coupe a short time so probably not long enough to truly experience all these annoying joys. So far, the worst thing is the laughable cupholders. I'm just over 6' tall and my right elbow keeps bumping the cupholder release button, making them pop open! That by itself would be seriously annoying (as well as amusing) if the cupholders were actually of any use at all. If I put a cup of coffee or other drink there--I quickly discovered--I'd be bound to knock it assunder quickly. Stains on the passenger-side tunnel carpet below the console verify that the PO will have discovered that problem the hard way. Out of the question for water bottles but we just tuck those next to us, against the seatbacks, above the seat belt buckles. Also laughable is the placement of the cupholders on the leading edge of the cubby box lid! Heaven help anyone who opens that lid with a cuppa in the holder!

I am also occasionally bothered by the key fob hitting my knee occasionally and will have to look into the folding-fob fix mentioned above. My '06 Land Rover LR3 has such a folding fob and that's the sensible solution, for sure. When I drive my daughter's '06 XJ8 VdP, the key-on-the-knee thing is far worse.

I hope reading all the posts about the left knee hitting the gas-filler/boot release buttons above won't make me start experiencing that as well. So far, I have not.

Quick Reply: Most annoying thing about your XKR