Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinion on possible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinion on possible purchase

Greetings all from Arizona....

There is a 2000 KJR convertible we are going to take a look at but there are some concerns with this paricular car. The owner states the convertible motor solenoids were replaced and this somehow blew out the hydraulic lines used to control the top. In addiiton, the rear windows do not go back up. Are these 2 items related or is there a seperate motor that needs to be addressed that controls the 2 rear windows? Is this something a novice can possibly tackle or is this best left to the professionals? Any ideas on what the cost would be to repair the hydraulic line and get the rear windows working again?

Here is the car and the AD below, any suggestios/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

2000 JAGUAR XKR CONVERTIBLE

"2000 Jag XKR convertible , 62000 miles , Eaton M112 supercharger ,370 hp .New oil change with Mobil synthetic 5-30 , replaced the front brake pads , replaced the front sway bar bushings , bought another power top motor to use the solenoids from it for the original top motor because they were defective and after I installed the new soleniods one of the lines blew. It needs a hydraulic line. New Jaguar gas cap , newThe top goes up and down manually without any problem but the rear windows on either side of the car stay down. Rear tires need to be replaced. Front rims have the finish peeling from them . The Nada rough trade in value of this car is $9450 . It is by no means in rough condition , I am firm on my price. It runs and drives beautifully . The list price on this car was $81800.00 when it was new.If interested , please respond to this email with your name and number , otherwise I will consider you a scammer and ignore you.
Thanks "

Old 10-02-2012, 09:56 PM

Sorry, I dont see an edit feature... the car is a 2000 XKR convertible.

thanks,
Don

Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Personel opinion only. I think it is a tad over priced. The window operation is likely tied to the top not operating. Not sure of the price for the top hydraulic lines, but, if you search this forum, I'm sure you can find that information. It can be a diy if you are reasonably handy with a wrench. If I'm not mistaken, it involves removing most of the interior to run the new lines.

Also, of concern, at least to me, would be the removal of the leaper on the hood and the repair afterwards. The leaper mascot was not originally on this car and, at least to my eye, doesn't look right, or belong there.

Having said that, if you are willing to do the work and the car is otherwise pleasing to you, MAYBE, it would be a good purchase.

Please read through some of FAQ's on this forum. There can be other issues. The timing chain tensioners are the main ones I can think of. There are a few others. Study, then study some more before making up your mind. If he has a COMPLETE repair history of the car, that would help.

Good luck in your quest for a Jag. They can be absoluely beautiful and reliable, but, do your homework.

Darrell

Old 10-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

These cars are fabulous for the hobby mechanic or someone with the piston-head wherewithal to maintain them. If you don't mind a learning curve for the first few months or year.. or two.. they are a bargain (in my mind).

The current problem with this car is not atypical, and certainly fixable. There may be more to it than what's listed, maybe not. It won't be the last thing you learn to fix. If you have to take it to a shop to have everything fixed you'd be in for a real downer unless you're prepared to shell out a lot for repairs.

This forum is a gold mine for the whats, whys, and how tos for keeping these running like a fine british watch [ahem].

YMMV,
Mike
..egad..another leaper on an XK ...

Last edited by OregonJag; 10-02-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:50 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome -

The Roof Hydraulic Lines are probably blown at the Windshield Header. Best fix for this is the Colliflower replacement lines (see Gus's Web Site). Additionally, there have been several posts lately about an alternate source for some Kevlar Lines. I used the Colliflower Lines myself and it took the better part of a day to do the fix. The Rear Windows are probably out of 'sync' with the Top and probably can't be rectified until the problem with the Hydraulics is straightened out (but some other much more knowledgeable Forum Members can address this).

Any idea if the secondary tensioners were done? If not the price seems a little on the high side with the Top problem, possible tensioners, new tires and what ever else.

But they are fun. Wish I had an 'R'...

Last edited by billm; 10-03-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

I agree with the general opinion.
Unless you've got a FSH showing the tensioners replaced I think you could do better in terms of VFM.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 AM
GGG
Received 16,790 Likes on 12,164 Posts

The repair / service items are featured prominently but should be part of regular servicing in any event.

No mention of how long the seller has owned the vehicle, number of previous owners or service history.

The issue with the top is made to sound a simple fix. He's clearly had a go at rectifying it and failed so, although fixable with help and advice from members here, it could be a costly unknown.

Two rear tyres, front rims needing refinishing and a radio aerial which appears not to retract add to the cost of bringing it up to par.

Adding it all up, I'd look elsewhere.

Graham

Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree, the Leaper has to go.

Additional thoughts -

a) If the present owner has been raising and lowering the top manually, there is the chance that the linkage has been kinked/twisted. These tops take a little muscle to move.

b) Is there anyway, to check and see if the 'petcock/valve' at the pump is in the correct posisition? If it is not fully in the correct posisition, it won't work.

c) Did the present owner say if the blown hydraulic line is at windshield header and/or at the rear rams?

d) Based on the price, current repairs and some of the unknowns, you might want to consider something else.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Default Xkr

Thank you to all for your advice and opinions. Based on all the responses, I have decided to forget this car and continue to look for something that is less problematic. Don

Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

Don, I cannot tell where in AZ you are. But, if you are anywhere in the Phoenix Metro area, I would be glad to help you with some of your questions. I work at a shop that specializes in Euro cars (many of them Jaguar!) and I personally enjoy my own XK8! Looked for it a very long time, but it was worth it. Dont know the etiquette here about giving out phone numbers etc. And, I am not soliciting business. Just offering some help! Keep looking. There's one out there for you! Kevin

Old 10-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Hey, PTMan! May have found a possible car for you!

See the "southwest" region part of this forum for more info! Chopr