XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Tires? Bought Bridgestone RE760 Sport's

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need Tires? Bought Bridgestone RE760 Sport's

Thought I would pass along a good word about my 2001 XKR's new Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport 18" tires. I have about 2k of driving on them, and I really like them. So far, they are smooth, sticky, and stable. I have not pushed them to their limits, so I can't comment there. Time will tell on how well they wear or noisy they get. Why did I choose them?

1) "Reasonably" priced Ultra High Performance Summer tire. And there is a $70 rebate on a set of four through 11/23 if buying now.

2) I like the asymmetric tread design. The previous directional Falken's did not wear well on the inside tread with the aggressive camber of the XKR. I'm hoping that the asymmetric design does a bit better on the inside.

3) Though they look directional, they are not, only asymmetric. With the staggered sizing on the XKR, this at least let's me rotate side to side in case I'm getting a bit of uneven wear. The end of life with the previous directional and non-rotatable Falken's was uneven and not very smooth.

4) They were rated well and got good reviews on tirerack.com. Some of the reviews reported over 30k (even over 40k) on an Ultra High Performance Summer tire, which typically just doesn't happen in that category. Realistically, I'll be happy with anything over 25k.

Check them out if you are shopping for tires.

Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by BosXKR:
01Silverstone (03-23-2014), weisberg (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 08:06 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

I've been running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my 2002 XKR coupe and they have been good too. TireRack did not even mention the ones above that, the Super Sport, but I wasn't sure if I was ready for a summer only tire on a car I drive daily and that I had just acquired June 2012. You are here in Colorado! I live in Denver, care to get together for a spirited run?

The following users liked this post:
BosXKR (12-05-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 03:12 PM

A spirited run sounds great! I've been looking forward to running into some Coloradans eventually. As you can tell from my tires, I'm not planning on driving it much during the winter. I only bought the XKR this past summer, and I have a number of projects that I have now scheduled. Just last night before our first real snow today, I cleaned it up for the start of its projects / hibernation.

If I get some of the work done here or there, and I want to take it out for a test run during a winter warm stretch, I'll give you a ping. Otherwise, let's take the Cats out come Spring, for sure!

Old 11-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Default compare projects

I'm curious what your projects are. I've been focused on just great maintenance and some performance modifications. Stereo and nav barely on my list.

Handling improvements and low-end power are my current focus.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:54 PM

I just bought the XKR this past summer. My first projects are mostly of the maintenance type, and I have a lot to do. It is now at 75k, and has not had the 60k major service done yet that the XKR specifies. So, first up are plugs, all fluids, I'm going to change out the transmission fluid also (maybe that's soon, but it was missing the trans tube cap, so I just want to know what is in there), etc.

Since it's a 2001, I'm also going to upgrade to the metal tensioners. I think I am going to simply replace all primary and secondary tensioners, and put new chains on also, since I will be in there. I've also got just a slight leak of coolant, so I want to replace all my hoses, inside and out.

I think I may "bling" the engine compartment up with some color. I want to paint the supercharger and other engine parts and install hoses of some matching or complimenting color. I don't know which color to go with, I've seen red, white, and blue examples in the forum. I am thinking of also replacing the thermostat and other engine sensors since it's going to be opened up. I believe the fuel pump went out on the previous owner, so I will likely put in a new water pump.

I've got some aspirator hum, need to clean that. Music is one of my passions, so I have to fix the gear in the CD changer that keeps getting off track (there's a great post on that fix). Antenna has a slight rattle when retracting. I would love to change antenna technology and keep the "telescope" closed rather than changing out the mast. But I haven't found what I am envisioning yet, so mast replacement is likely. Beefing up the sound system will be a later project. Convertible top needs refinishing, as do the leather seats. While it's parked, I think I will send out the wood interior for refinishing.

I have some fault codes, so I'm currently shopping for an ODBII reader. I want a full featured one, and I think the Auto Enginuity is the one at the top of the list so far. What do you have for your reader? I am also thinking of getting a module that stays connected and uses the Torque Android app real time. That should be fun! I wish one of those was full featured with all major system codes.

I have to fix my manual side J-gate shifter, put's me in restricted performance mode. The manual side cable needs to be adjusted. I have had an airbag fault (codes 4+9). Haven't looked up the codes yet, but I suspect cleaning the contacts and making sure the connector is seated well will fix it. Moving the passenger seat has an effect. I have just recently seen the ABS error light, so I suspect it might have a short of one of the speed sensors. The reader should help me with that.

As far as performance is concerned, I don't know when I will get to these, but the Limited Slip Differential is on the consideration list, as well as on the must list if upgrading to the Avos Twin Screw (that is a probably just a wish list item). I would love to improve the suspension, it's comfortable, but just too mushy for spirited driving. Not sure if I want to go with the expensive Ohlins? But new springs and bushings will be medium term upgrades. I've also read that the Blue-Top Solenoids improve transmission shifting. I would also like to give it a better growl, but I don't think I want to go full x-pipe action.

What are you going to do for lower end power improvement? I keep it in Sport Mode all the time, otherwise, there is not much low end when taking off unless mashing the accelerator. I had a friend give me what he believes is a Jaguar XP pulley replacement that I am not sure I will install? I have read maybe a 50/50 split on other members having replaced the pulley (draw backs being the extra heat generated and tricky installation).

Man, I've got a lot to do, but I want to restore a nice ride into show room condition... if I have the patience and time to do everything I want to. So some detailing and small dent repair are also on the list after at least the engine work is done. I've already missed driving the XKR, got it ready for winter once, then we had a few more nice days and took it back out. This current snow and cold has it parked again and should motivate me to buy an ODBII reader and get started on this list.

Oh, almost forgot to ask you. Do you do your work yourself? Or do you have a trusted mechanic you work with? I want to do as much myself as I can, but I know I'm going to need a mechanic for some of it. Who do you recommend?

Old 12-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default bridgestones

Had the bridgestone s001 runflats fitted 2months ago,love them

Old 03-23-2014, 11:24 AM

I have been using Platinum Motorsport, (303) 388-0402, 730 S Locust St
Denver CO 80224

They get the job done, and I found them via a much older friend who used them to work on his 90's era Bentley Turbo sedan.
I just don't have the time or skills to do it myself, and there is always computer work I could do to pay for someone else.

The following users liked this post:
BosXKR (03-24-2014)