XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum Have few ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum Have few ??

Hello everyone Great forum. I just picked up a 1999 XK8 with 30k miles. I changed rear speakers and bought a brake light switch for the common problems there. My main question is I would like to drive it through the summer before doing the timing chain parts upgrade this winter. With 30k miles and I am not hearing any noises am I taking a big risk not upgrading timing stuff now??? Thanks for your help forum has already been very helpful.

Regards

Old 04-15-2014, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by woodlandjaguar
Hello everyone Great forum. I just picked up a 1999 XK8 with 30k miles. I changed rear speakers and bought a brake light switch for the common problems there. My main question is I would like to drive it through the summer before doing the timing chain parts upgrade this winter. With 30k miles and I am not hearing any noises am I taking a big risk not upgrading timing stuff now??? Thanks for your help forum has already been very helpful.

Regards

While it's true that timing chain tensioner failures are more likely to occur closer to 100k miles, it's important to remember that your car, while only having 30k miles on it, is 15 years old and plastic does not age well. I bought my 2002 XKR with 33k miles on it and had the tensioners checked within a few weeks. The real question was best posed by Dirty Harry, "Do you feel lucky?"

Mark

Old 04-16-2014, 02:54 AM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

Originally Posted by woodlandjaguar
......... My main question is I would like to drive it through the summer before doing the timing chain parts upgrade this winter. With 30k miles and I am not hearing any noises am I taking a big risk not upgrading timing stuff now??? .......
Welcome to the forum woodlandjaguar,

You have clearly already read enough to understand the problems with plastic tensioners.

No one can tell you when or even if they are going to break. There will be many owners driving around with original plastic tensioners because they are blissfully unaware of any issues with them.

If you are happy to accept the risk of failure with consequential severe engine damage, then go ahead and drive it through the summer.

I suspect that, knowing about the problem, you will be thinking about it every time you drive the car. Not the best way to enjoy your summer driving.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 04-16-2014, 04:34 AM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

+1 for Graham's and mjlaris comments, my 1999 XK8 coupe had 63k miles on when I bought it and the tensioners were changed within 300 miles of my ownership on advisement of this site. Thank heavens I did, one was split from top to bottom, it only takes one side to smash then your motor is destroyed.
The plastic deteriorates with age not just mileage, and becomes brittle, shatters and you are looking for a new motor. There are plenty of threads on the DIY route and always someone who can help guide you if you get stuck. We would far rather help you with changing the tensioners, than advising you on a choice of which engine suits your car and who is cheapest to fit it.

Cheers,
Arty

Old 04-16-2014, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

I wouldn't wait, I just changed mine out this winter. 98 XK8 with 50,000 miles. My motor was very quiet and ran perfectly. Upon removal of the valve covers the tensioners were intact and looked fine. However when I removed the passenger side tensioner and it crumbled in my hand like a wet sweet tart. The next turn of the key could have been my last. There are excellent instructions available on this site and the job could easily be completed in a weekend. I'm happy to be more lucky than smart, are you?

Old 04-16-2014, 08:01 AM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

+1 on all above..

My secondary tensioners' plastic were broken in pieces, and primary guides were cracked. No noises at all! It was due to this site that that I (well, the garage) did preventative maintenance. Very, very glad I did.

I would not wait till the end of summer. And, get the Jag Wrangler's RealGuage for the coolant temp, or another method to see the coolant temp in real time. (TheJagWrangler - Home - About Us)

There are some sticky's as to other items to look at. It may save you big $$$!

Just my 2c..

Old 04-16-2014, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Both of my cars had tensioners changed under factory warranty in the low 40,000's miles and both were years younger than yours.

Most of the '99 MY cars came with the 2nd generation spring assisted tensioners so you can forget about any 'rattle' warning. Perhaps the next time you start your car it won't. Live with that all summer.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your replies. My original reason to buy one of these cars was to do the LS swap but when I found one with 30k miles I have decided to drive it for a while. I really enjoy driving this car and now considering buy another that needs engine or trans to do the swap to instead but around Colorado there are not many of these cars around. I would like to find a coupe for the swap. I have 6 cars 2 classics one being a 1979 corvette that already has a 426 hp engine. That being said I should go ahead and change the timing chain stuff and the water pump/thermostat as soon as possible to limit chance of failure. I also want to service trans and keep that fluid as clean as possible. A LSD is also on my list of things would like to do to this car. Thanks again for the truthful reminder of why you can buy these cars so cheap but must fix the design flaws to continue driving them.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

If you find you like driving the convertible, but want a more powerful coupe, look into an XKR. They can be made to embarrass almost any Corvette... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...kit-usa-82598/