Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hood Vents

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts
Default New Hood Vents

My original good vents were sunburned to the point of being flat black but rather than repaint them, I thought I would try the Mina mesh vents painted body color with a stainless "R" trim piece.

What do you all think?
New Hood Vents-vents1.jpg

Old 04-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

My first thought was NO, but then I looked at them on the Mina site. Hmmm, that might look sharp.
I'm not much for modifications, but that could look good. Would like to see some in place, rather than without the car (as shown on the vendor site).

Oops, just clicked your pic. Mmmmm, I don't think so. The bright R-line detracts, for me. Especially on your black hood. I think it would be less distracting on my silver, but still not sure I'd do it. I like the mesh, but not crazy about the added line.

Just my opinion, worth price charged.

Last edited by Abby's Guy; 04-08-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: update info - looked at pic - duh.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm not all that wild about the chrome strip either, but they definitely look sinister and I like them better than the stock louvers.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:59 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi ccfulton,

Congrats on having such a desirable car!

Put me down for a "no" vote on the chrome strips too.

As an option, you may like to consider stainless mesh under the existing louvres, discussed recently in this thread >>>https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-anyone-48423/

That's a mod I will be considering when I eventually get my XKR. XKRacer might still have some in stock.

Regards
Stuart

Old 04-09-2012, 07:06 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

+1. Mesh is ok, not a fan of the bright strip.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

The bright strip is a bolt in part, so is easily removable. I was (still might be) on the fence about it, and waffled a few days before taking the plunge. There are a few other chome bits, such as the door handles, so they do "fit in" in that respect.

I think I'll let it steep a few days and see if I fall off the fence decidedly on one side or the other.

When I repaint the car puke green I will definitely need more chome.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ccfulton
The bright strip is a bolt in part, so is easily removable. I was (still might be) on the fence about it, and waffled a few days before taking the plunge. There are a few other chome bits, such as the door handles, so they do "fit in" in that respect <snip>
I generally love chrome and shiny things of all kinds. Having had a chance to think about it more, the reason for my vote is that the straight lines of the strips interrupt the gorgeous curves of the bonnet/hood. Hope that is more helpful.

Regards
Stuart

Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, my vents were also sun faded. I went to a car show and the location was at a detailer supply shop. It was called Classic Motors Detail . My hood had so much acid rain damage and sun faded I thought I was looking at a respray. But the shop had a new product. It was a small bottle of car polish. Now I want to said that I did try two other types of car polishes and did not work. You can see that this worked great just look at the pictures. I used a 7 inch power polisher with a foam pad. For under $15.00 it was worth every penny.

You can see that I used a big blanket underneath the the hood to protect the fenders and windshield. Also this kept the engine bay clean.

Attached Thumbnails New Hood Vents-hood.jpg   New Hood Vents-hood2.jpg  
Old 04-10-2012, 05:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked at the second picture and said, "Great Scott! The man took the hood off the car just to polish it!" I'll remember you technique.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

That's why I love this forum. There can be all manner of technical discussion and still a lively debate about the artistry of the cars.

Thanks guys.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagsinfl
Well, my vents were also sun faded. I went to a car show and the location was at a detailer supply shop. It was called Classic Motors Detail . My hood had so much acid rain damage and sun faded I thought I was looking at a respray. But the shop had a new product. It was a small bottle of car polish. Now I want to said that I did try two other types of car polishes and did not work. You can see that this worked great just look at the pictures. I used a 7 inch power polisher with a foam pad. For under $15.00 it was worth every penny.

You can see that I used a big blanket underneath the the hood to protect the fenders and windshield. Also this kept the engine bay clean.
Wow! Great Job! Got a "before" pic?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I have no pre pictures . But the detail shop did film it (he filmed the demonstration of the product). When he puts it on YouTube I will post the web address.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cadmium
Having had a chance to think about it more, the reason for my vote is that the straight lines of the strips interrupt the gorgeous curves of the bonnet/hood. Hope that is more helpful.

Regards
Stuart
Great point about the straight lines in this wondrous field of curves. I think a major part of the car's beauty is the endless curves. The straight lines just don't fit.
Now, on the Dodge Charger R/T I rode in today...