XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEw member! Want to buy my first Jag. Any buyers guide for the XK8?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEw member! Want to buy my first Jag. Any buyers guide for the XK8?

Hi all!,

I'm new to the forums. This seems like the best community out there! I'm so happy I've stumbled on this place. I'm new to Jaguar in particular the XK8.
I'm currently looking to buy an XK between 97-01 and I'm here to learn what to look out for so, I can buy a good one. I read about the ever scary water pump and tensioners that plague the 4.0l models, but with luck maybe I can find a good one. I was wondering if anyone has a buyers guide for the years i'm looking for? I heard the third achilles heel is the soft top, but I'm wondering what I should look for when I'm standing there wondering if I should pull the trigger or not. The tensioners i'm outta luck unlessthey have maint. records fixing the issue, but are there other areas I should look out for? Also I know they did a refresh in 01 other than the heated seats and the chrome bit on the back is there any fixes to the car that makes it the year to buy? I'm of course trying to buy the cheapest deal I can get (yeah i know there are issues with doing that hehe).

Right now i'm currently driving:

2005 mercedes c230 - replacing with jag
2005 Lotus elise
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Thank you so much guys for any tips on what year to get (between 97-01) and if there is a buyer guide to this model of jag.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

You should spend a little extra and get a 2003+. The only really expensive issue left is the hydraulic latch hose for the convertibles.

You can certainly find some good prices on 2002 and earlier, but if you're going for an early vert, stick with 97 because you likely won't ever have the green shower of death, but you need to make sure the tensioners are updated and the transmission has been rebuilt. On the older 5 speeds, there is some ring somewhere that ends up failing and pushing out, so from what I understand, Jag transmission places will weld that ring in on a rebuild. Also, depending on where you live ALL of the suspension bushings may have deteriorated. My 97 still has the original bushings, my mechanic has inspected them twice, they're still fine. XK/XKRs in the early 00's had serious bushing issues as well. Make sure you inspect them. This can be an expensive fix if you can't do it yourself.

The later MY you get, the more fixes and upgrades the models got and with the depreciation on these vehicles, the more money you spend for a newer car is absolutely worth it. They're amazing and innovative cars. I already consider them a classic. A well maintained XK8 or XKR still looks like a brand new design. Most people are shocked when they hear a 97 is 16 years old now.

Without any research at all, I test drove and first bought an 97, but there were so many limitations and so many featuers it didn't have that I wanted to upgrade, only buying a newer car made sense. I absolutely loved the car for what it was, but I loved it so much that making it mine would have been more expensive than getting the features I wanted.

I wanted the Recaros, the BBS Sepang 20" wheels, the back up warning is absolutely indispensable IMO. I also wanted the larger motor, 6 speed transmission and the brembo brakes. I also wanted a stiffer suspension, the updated head and tail lights and I wanted the supercharger. I also wanted the updated 05-06 ferrings/skirts/front/rear end. If I would have done research before, I wouldn't have bought the 97. But it was cheap and opened the door for me, so to speak, so I really can't say don't buy one.

I think the 97-06 verts, with top down, is the most gorgeous body style any manufacturer has ever come up with. The only way you can get better is by spending a lot more on a supercar of some sort. For the price range, nothing compares to the look, feel, comfort and pride of owning such a beautiful car.

Last edited by xenophobe; 11-06-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

Gotta agree with Xeno here. I was in exactly the same boat, shopping for my Jag this summer. I bit the bullet and bought a 2004, which has many upgrades that eliminate a lot of the earlier issues on these cars. I really wanted a supercharged, low-miler, but I traded both for a nice newer normally asperated and higher mileage model. Of course, the newer cars have their issues as well, but they are pretty easy to straighten out. My car has 98,000 miles and drives tight and silently. These really are awesome cars! If you absolutely have to stay on budget, try to buy it right enough and put $1,000 to $2,000 aside for any "surprise" future repairs. One other thing, if you are at all handy with tools, this forum will get you through darned near ANYTHING without spending a ton on labor! I am amazed at the knowledge on here! And the willingness of others to share. Best Forum on the web.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Get the 2003-or-newer 4.2. My wife decided that she had to have an XK8 ragtop when I made the mistake a year ago of taking her with me just to play with one that was for sale at a local Lincoln dealership with no intention of purchasing it. She hounded me for months after that experience, so I did my research and determined that the 2005/2006 model years were best since Jaguar truly got these cars just about right by the end of their production run. Forum member George Androulakis found me the right XK8 in Jacksonville, Florida back in late January, we purchased it for a song compared to what its equivalents were selling for in my neck of the woods here in North Carolina, and my wife has been thrilled with her car ever since....

JimC64 (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Gotta agree with Xeno too, but I will add my 2c - I bought a 2000 XK8 from a friend's dealership - he tried to direct me to a Mercedes (had one) or a Z3 BMW - too small. Loved and still love the Jag. I took it right away to get the tensioners redone, and while at it the water pump and nearby odds and ends - I worked out the costs ahead of time with the dealer and his chosen repair facility. It goes like a bat outta hell and is bright red so the cops won't notice me. I get lots of compliments, but most of all it is just so much fun to drive that I am neglecting my Harleys. Newer ones are a bit nicer, but for the well-under $20K range you can't beat the Jaguar. PS mine was a lease car originally from CA so nature has been kinder than here in the chicago area, where it will soon go into hibernation. r

Old 11-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi there.......all great and very sound advice above.

Please a couple of link below in previous, what should I kook out for threads, that may help some.

I’m buying a used XK8/XKR, what should I look for?
New Guy need advice! - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ghlight=sticky

Link to XK8 / XKR sticky HOW TO thread.......read, read, read & read some more
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-data-29800/

Hope it helps some

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
Morpheus (11-11-2012), warren (11-21-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Atari,

I'll echo what's been said here. I've been on many motoring forums since the early 90's and this place is definitely one of the friendliest and most helpful. I'm based in London and recently replaced my Porsche 928 GTS with a 2003 XKR convertible in September. With the help of this forum I sorted out the windows (simple reset of the levels), diagnosed a naff ballast and replaced, changed the stereo for a iPod/Bluetooth one. Downloaded the Jaguar service docs and will be fitting Jagwrangler's remote roof this weekend.

If you can stretch to a 4.2 you can't really go wrong.

JimC64 (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome Atari!

If you like books, this is a nice one to buy.

Jaguar XK8 & XKR, 1996-2005 Essential Buyer's Guide Series: Amazon.co.uk: Nigel Thorley: Books Jaguar XK8 & XKR, 1996-2005 Essential Buyer's Guide Series: Amazon.co.uk: Nigel Thorley: Books

You will find much of the same advice, in even more detail in this forum of course, but the book has lots of photos of the 'objects of our desire', along with generally useful information.

Best wishes for your search.

JimC64 (11-09-2012)
Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess not everyone can go for the latest X100, but the 2002 year model had quite a few "clean ups" and the desirability of the 4.2's keep the prices down. Cam Tensioner if upgraded or the later type are good forever (?). Convertible roof hydraulic hoses still a big (but fixable) issue. My idea was to find a low mileage, gently used in a great color, these are now in the mold of a classic and you should expect some hurt which you repay with love (and $....)