Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   New Paint New Paint..New Paint (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/new-paint-new-paint-new-paint-143601/)

XxSlowpokexX 05-27-2015 10:39 PM

New Paint New Paint..New Paint

2 Attachment(s)
Well my car was hit in the trunk over the winter and well while it was getting fixed I decided to just repaint the entire car. It was a matte black before and well I really liked the look. Well here is what I changed...

New color. Not the typical hot rod black. New color is a Dupont matte finish paint which has a bit more sheen. I kind of like it.

Also my taillights were tinted....New taillights. One lens literally fell off after accident.

Antenna? What antenna? had the hole welded shut and antenna removed.

New chrome trim on decklid and that lil jaguar button. My button was a bit faded....

So now I only have to rebuild suspension.. Was thinking the nitron coil over setups along with the rebuild

Install the various engine bits I been collecting (photos to come)

Radio install....Not sure what yet....

And get some new shoes fitted:O)

Future future plans..Install 4.2 I been putting together and something super secret ANYWAYS.

Not a photoshoot and I know some don't like the matte color. But what do you all think?

SeismicGuy 05-27-2015 10:53 PM

I have to admit I am not a fan of the matte stuff--it is all the rage until it won't be anymore. Still your car looks decent in that finish.

Doug

SatRoc 05-27-2015 11:06 PM

I'm not a fan either, but then again it's your car! It rather looks like my CLK55 waiting to be color sanded.

GGG 05-28-2015 02:58 AM

I'm also not a fan of matte but it is very well done.

Graham

JonWat 05-28-2015 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by SatRoc (Post 1237276)
It rather looks like my CLK55 waiting to be color sanded.

I agree :icon_crackup:

K.Westra 05-28-2015 08:47 AM

I hate to be a downer also, but I hate matte black finishes. I do love that you filled the antenna hole though. It is your car though, so be proud of it, and enjoy it. I'm sure there are things on my car that people hate and I could not care less :)

Chuck Schexnayder 05-28-2015 10:53 AM

Slowpoke,
Car dealers have almost endless colors to choose from when buying a new car. Why? Because not everyone like's the same color. If you like the matte black finish you have on your car, so be it. It's yours and although the comments above are basically good but not their choice, it's yours, so be happy..........I kind of like it myself.

Jon89 05-28-2015 01:15 PM

Even if matte black appealed to me (no thanks), I would never do this to a vehicle simply because it vastly limits your resale prospects. Some folks say they never plan to sell their particular vehicle but the reality is that we never know when that action must indeed be taken due to changing life circumstances. For that reason I keep my vehicles as stock-appearing as possible, especially when making design-flaw corrections that we all have to deal with on these cars....

XxSlowpokexX 05-28-2015 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Honestly I was just sharing. I love it. I think it goes well with the lines of the car. And surely I am not worries about the resale value on my car...Unfortunately it doesn't have much at all to begin with at this point. Sad but true. If it were a special or limited edition with low miles it would have been a factory color reapplied. So everything I do to the car at this point is a labor of love with no expectations of a return except that I do all all of the mechanical work myself.

Same with my xjr. No real resale value yet I am getting a twin screw for it and have already done various other mods.

So what's on the horizon for my kitty now?

I know you will all just love this!

Jag#4 05-28-2015 09:09 PM

I do find the finish interesting. Not your typical matte based on the pictures. As you noted, it does have a slight sheen.

If you like it, then you're good.

K.Westra 05-29-2015 11:09 AM

Nice plate.

stetson1 05-29-2015 10:25 PM

not a fan of that matte finish. but, it's YOUR car and if it looks good to you, then it LOOKS GOOD!!!

your enthusiasm is genuine and that's really cool. it's what makes each of us unique.

WAY TO GO!

enderle 05-29-2015 11:10 PM

Couple things

I've been pretty far down the modification trail and it is a ton of fun and because our cars have lousy resale I don't sweat it like I would another car. On the flat black I've been on Pinterest for some time and pinned lots of cars the only one that constantly gets repined is a flat black XKE: http://silodrome.com/matte-e-type/

On your plans on the new shocks be aware that the kit out of Europe hasn't worked well for anyone so make sure you talk to someone that has used the shock kit before you buy it. Apparently getting this right is a bitch. On your 4.2 engine idea that could be a bitch to sort; since you have a 2001 (not an option for a 2004) consider an LS1 swap, you can go all the way up to an LSA and ungodly horsepower. The kit to do this is well sorted now and they even have a manual transmission option. (You can do a manual conversion on our cars but the folks that have done this before are in Europe). You may find, however, if you just go to a lower ratio limited slip diff you'll be quick enough off the line (also not an option for my car but it will work in yours).

Jaguar Specialties is the source: Jaguar Specialties

Doing the sound system and the seats in my car were the two things I enjoyed the most but you can go kind of crazy and the light mods are pretty stunning. They now have kits that are far better than I had to choose from earlier.

Here it the link to my project: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...project-82601/

Good luck and the flat black looks fine. Were it me I'd break it up with something as that is a lot of unbroken black. A couple racing stripes might make it pop more. For instance on this car they used a little gloss black to set the flat black off and I think it makes the car look far more interesting.

http://wefollowpics.com/matte-black-...i-granturismo/

Good luck!!

Jandreu 05-30-2015 08:01 AM

Anything custom is OK in my book. As others and yourself have said the resale on our cars is not so high to make them uncomstomizeable.

Enjoy your project and make it one of a kind, that's part of what makes cars fun.

As for the matte black, it looks good however I do think enderie is on the right track with adding a little splash of gloss black to stand out and break up the matte a little.

reb1999 05-31-2015 07:53 AM

Nice look

Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX (Post 1237265)
Well my car was hit in the trunk over the winter and well while it was getting fixed I decided to just repaint the entire car. It was a matte black before and well I really liked the look. Well here is what I changed...

New color. Not the typical hot rod black. New color is a Dupont matte finish paint which has a bit more sheen. I kind of like it.

Also my taillights were tinted....New taillights. One lens literally fell off after accident.

Antenna? What antenna? had the hole welded shut and antenna removed.

New chrome trim on decklid and that lil jaguar button. My button was a bit faded....

So now I only have to rebuild suspension.. Was thinking the nitron coil over setups along with the rebuild

Install the various engine bits I been collecting (photos to come)

Radio install....Not sure what yet....

And get some new shoes fitted:O)

Future future plans..Install 4.2 I been putting together and something super secret ANYWAYS.

Not a photoshoot and I know some don't like the matte color. But what do you all think?

I do like the look. Little sheen works well. My younger brother painted his classic this color/ finish ( back then they called it farm paint) app 15 years ago before it came into vogue. His vehicle still looks great. Plenty of positive comments at auto shows he attends. Rich

rperformance 05-31-2015 11:24 AM

Agreed ... when sale time rolls around you will find the paint becomes a serious issue. Until then enjoy driving what makes you happy.

XxSlowpokexX 05-31-2015 05:48 PM

Just had a new Maserati park next to me. It was a man and his son..About 12 yo or so. He said "Dad..that jaguar looks like a race car, like its flying just standing still".....His dad didnt seem to interested but it put a smile on my face.

Conesus among friends is it needs rims which was on my list before I got my boot tapped. So that's on the list. Also seems I need a front wheel bearing. Suspension was also on the list. Its pretty tight but needs a few things changed...

As for the 4.2 I have its out of an xkr. I need to figure out what I need to swap but that's down the road. Car runs to good to mess with now. Ill see about breaking up the paint once the new rims are fitted....Its never ending...

enderle 05-31-2015 07:47 PM

Powder coat

You might try powder coating your existing rims black, only $150 each generally and black on a black car is pretty stunning. I have that look on my FX and folks comment on it (positively) all the time.

XxSlowpokexX 06-01-2015 12:15 PM

I had thought about powdercoating the rims. I do like them but I think I want something with a chrome or machines lip with a matte black center. I really like the BBS CH rims...Bit to pricey though... I very well may coat these. My buddy owns a PC business....Ill hit him up for a deal:O)

Ezrider 01-31-2019 09:41 AM

here is the video i mentioned earlyer that i would be making on re-painting my semi truck it was repainted due to a failing clear coat as well