XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie on the fence

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:40 PM
Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Newbie on the fence

As the title sez, I'm new to Jaguar. I love the classic looks of the X100 and like the modern technology of the X150. Since this car will be a weekend cruiser, driven less that 4,000 mile a year, I'm on the fence as to which model to buy. The older Jags have so much charm but harder to find in pristine shape while the newer ones are plentiful. I found this one on Auto Trader and would like some owners to chime in and give me their thoughts on the subject.

Thanks in advance and here's the link: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ink=true&Log=0

Old 03-13-2018, 06:59 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Important things to consider with this era X100 are the maintenance history and if known failure points have been taken care of such as the coolant hose beneath the supercharger.

Has the gearbox been serviced? The ZF 6HP26/28 performs best with a filter and fluid change every 50 thousand miles.

Check the suspension for broken and worn parts, especially the roll bar links, front ball joints and suspension bushes.

The following users liked this post:
Jeagar (03-14-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
Important things to consider with this era X100 are the maintenance history and if known failure points have been taken care of such as the coolant hose beneath the supercharger.

Has the gearbox been serviced? The ZF 6HP26/28 performs best with a filter and fluid change every 50 thousand miles.

Check the suspension for broken and worn parts, especially the roll bar links, front ball joints and suspension bushes.
Thanks for the tips. More info the better so, keep them coming!!!

Old 03-13-2018, 09:08 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I agree that X100s in high condition are very hard to find. And I would buy the best condition car you can regardless of model. Get a PPI done regardless of car!!!

I’ve owned an XK8, XKR, and now an X150 XK (all Convertibles).

My opinion:
The X100 needs to be an XKR. Given age and performance, the supercharger is really needed.

The X150 is great normally aspirated. Honestly, I love the looks of the 2003/2004 XKR the best. However, driving and comfort, the 2007/2009 XK or XKR is my winner. I find it roomier with and has a much better exhaust note. I like the covered top when it’s down. You do lose a lot of trunk space and battery access is infuriating. The infotainment is pretty dated but if you get the iPod kit you can add BT. Nav maps are available until 2013/2014 (later if you get Volvo discs) vs 2004 on the X100. However, the X100 has no real guages, just idiot lights.

I thought the 2010+ X150 was too modern and lost some of the driving characteristics.

That said, I’d tilt toward the X150 but if you chose an X100 it’s sll about condition.

Best!

Old 03-13-2018, 09:23 PM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

key question, have you driven samples of both. yes, age and condition and looks matter, but only as far as the experience of driving appeals to you. the x150 will feel very different than the x100. only you can determine which is better for you.

Jeagar (03-14-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

X100's are great cars for guys who have tools and get satisfaction from working on cars.

Not quite MacGuyer level rigging abilities are required but a few steps above "I do my own oil changes" help tremendously.

If you have ever restored an old car or tried to restore an old car, you will enjoy an X100.

X100's are less so for guys that don't have tools and have to pay another guy to fix every little thing that will go wrong.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by SLazz
Thanks in advance and here's the link: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ink=true&Log=0
That's a beautiful car, but be aware that the shock mounts and bushings, hoses etc will be giving up over the next few years because their demise is age and not miles related. Not driving it won't even really slow this demise down.

These are rare, beautiful cars and the prices for the later cars may go down a little more, but they should hold their value after that.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought my 2004 XK8(61,500mi) last March. Looked at a lot of them before I found it. I am between "change my oil" and "do most of it". What ever you choose it is still an older car with mystery(unless it is a 1 owner by a rich guy who's brother-in-law was a Jag dealer).
I avoided the R models. I didn't want one more complex mechanical device to contend with.
The key to me is buy what you like best(in best condition you can get).

Old 03-14-2018, 07:46 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for posting that. I will include it on my list of things to watch out for when looking for my X100. It's the first I'm hearing o these 2 points. I will update my list.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by dsd
I agree that X100s in high condition are very hard to find.
I'm glad I have made up my mind about buying a X100 for sure and I have a strong will. It seems for every post saying they are ok and reports of problems are exaggerated you get another saying they are a risky investment.

Originally Posted by dsd
And I would buy the best condition car you can regardless of model. Get a PPI done regardless of car!!!

I’ve owned an XK8, XKR, and now an X150 XK (all Convertibles).

My opinion:
The X100 needs to be an XKR. Given age and performance, the supercharger is really needed.

The X150 is great normally aspirated. Honestly, I love the looks of the 2003/2004 XKR the best. However, driving and comfort, the 2007/2009 XK or XKR is my winner. I find it roomier with and has a much better exhaust note. I like the covered top when it’s down. You do lose a lot of trunk space and battery access is infuriating. The infotainment is pretty dated but if you get the iPod kit you can add BT. Nav maps are available until 2013/2014 (later if you get Volvo discs) vs 2004 on the X100. However, the X100 has no real guages, just idiot lights.
What do you mean by real gauges here, which the X100 doesn't have?

Old 03-14-2018, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 459 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthodixie
I avoided the R models. I didn't want one more complex mechanical device to contend with.
So instead you bought a car with two more complex electro-mechanical devices to contend with - the VVTs (which the R version doesn't have).

There really is no evidence that the supercharged cars are in any way less reliable than the non-supercharged cars. In fact the supercharged 4.0 cars have a better gearbox and other upgraded parts compared to the NA cars. All the other bits that regularly go wrong, go wrong in the same way on both cars - its all part of the charm.

zray (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHat
key question, have you driven samples of both. yes, age and condition and looks matter, but only as far as the experience of driving appeals to you. the x150 will feel very different than the x100. only you can determine which is better for you.
Great point here. To me when I drove a X150 it felt too computerized, if you know what I mean, which is what I dislike the most about new cars. The X100 felt much more pleasing to drive.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:10 AM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

I am a guy who has , over the years, done everything up to and including major engine repairs on cars. Last year I bought my 2004 XK8 with about 180,000 km on it. I have honestly been amazed at how durable the vehicle it. It's 14 years old and I have had to do nothing but what I would consider normal maintenance for a car it's age. Rubber hoses , belts etc deteriorate over time whether used or not. Personally the XK8 has more power than I will ever need or use. It cruises effortlessly and quietly at 120 kph (which is 10k kph over any legal limit around here ) At that speed it will take off like a rocket if you floor it and be doing 180 kph much too quickly. At that speed it is still rock solid and comfortable on the road. Parts are not hard to come by and since you are in California you should be able to find a decent Jag mechanic.
I bought the X100 XK8 because , next to an E-Type I think it's the best looking car ever made. I did not get an XKR because I don't need the power or the extra mechanical gear that comes with the supercharger.

I suggest that you try to drive a few X100s and X150s both supercharged and not and decide what you like best. DO NOT be scared off by tales of unreliability. Jags have always been just as reliable as Mercs or Beemers....but the Germans did a better job of marketing.

Good Luck

Old 03-14-2018, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by SLazz
As the title sez, I'm new to Jaguar. I love the classic looks of the X100 and like the modern technology of the X150. Since this car will be a weekend cruiser, driven less that 4,000 mile a year, I'm on the fence as to which model to buy. The older Jags have so much charm but harder to find in pristine shape while the newer ones are plentiful. I found this one on Auto Trader and would like some owners to chime in and give me their thoughts on the subject.

I'm also on the lookout for a X100. To me personally I much prefer the looks of the X100. But the main thing is the way they drive. I prefer the X100 there too.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:16 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry_Tucker
...DO NOT be scared off by tales of unreliability. Jags have always been just as reliable as Mercs or Beemers....but the Germans did a better job of marketing...
Most people who perpetuate the 'Jag-Wires are unreliable' or the ubiquitous Joseph Lucas jokes over the years have oddly never owned a Jaguar.

I find that people who have a BMW or Mercedes with electrical or other issues usually won't admit that the cars are just as flawed as any other marque.

But of course there's also 'German engineering'...whatever that's supposed to mean.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I have both an X100 (2002 XKR) and an X150 (2010 XKR) and love them both for different reasons. The classic looks of the X100 were just too good for me to pass up about 10 years ago when I bought it. Acres of burl, leather, and a sense of a special occasion every time you get behind the wheel. And the compliments every single time I drive it, moreso than any other car I've ever owned including some gorgeous exotics. The 5.0L X150 XKR is worlds apart in terms of ride, handling, speed, every other category that makes a car a pleasure to drive and drive briskly. And reliability....to boot. There is simply no comparison. My X100 going over a speed bump or a dip is like a bowl of jello and in spirited driving, the rear end just doesn't want to cooperate with the rest of the car. But on a smooth road with the sun shining, it is a pleasure to put the top down and grandly enjoy the ride with tons of room in the trunk for 2 sets of golf clubs and all of your groceries at the same time.

The X150 5.0L XKR is a beast. Tremendous effortless power and torque, but even more impressively, a controlled ride that is as solid and taut as the X100 is loose, simply phenomenal in comparison. More muscular looking but certainly not as sensual as the X100, it is a thoroughly more modern ride.

That said, why am I spending more than I paid for my X100 to restore it to near new status right now after putting over 175,000 miles on it?! Because it has a grip on me and my sensibilities that I can't shake. I admit I like the look of older, more classic looking cars, and the X100 is one of the best, from its obvious heritage ties to the XKE to its traditional British luxury interior, I love it.

The X150 does so many things better with so few problems that it's just a pleasure to own and drive whether on the street or the track (something I'd never attempt in my X100).

If you opt for an X100 prior to 2003, just make sure the secondary tensioners have been or will be upgraded as it's a ticking time bomb if not addressed.

Good luck with your choice.

Attached Thumbnails Newbie on the fence-dscf1746-1280x960-.jpg   Newbie on the fence-dscf0522-1280x960-.jpg   Newbie on the fence-dscf8217-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 03-14-2018, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by dibbit
So instead you bought a car with two more complex electro-mechanical devices to contend with - the VVTs (which the R version doesn't have).

There really is no evidence that the supercharged cars are in any way less reliable than the non-supercharged cars. In fact the supercharged 4.0 cars have a better gearbox and other upgraded parts compared to the NA cars. All the other bits that regularly go wrong, go wrong in the same way on both cars - its all part of the charm.
To me personally, the only things to go by when choosing between XKR or XK8 are price, looks, power expectations and which engine sound one likes better. At least this is what I'm considering when choosing mine. I'm not worried about reliability of one over the other. So I agree with you there.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:54 AM

Thanks to all for the info. No matter what year Jag I find like most older cars I'm certain mechanical issues will arise and have to be corrected. I say this having gone through this exercise with a few early Mercedes R129s.

On another note, I'm seeing 2007 thru 2009 XKs at very attractive prices with low miles. Very tempting. On the other hand, X100s in similar condition are rare birds and command big bucks. It looks like the hunt will take some time but before I do anything I think first order of business before is to locate a trustworthy independent Jag mechanic. That alone will be a challenge. Wish me luck.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:55 AM

Most people who perpetuate the 'Jag-Wires are unreliable' or the ubiquitous Joseph Lucas jokes over the years have oddly never owned a Jaguar.

I find that people who have a BMW or Mercedes with electrical or other issues usually won't admit that the cars are just as flawed as any other marque.

But of course there's also 'German engineering'...whatever that's supposed to mean.
I'm not sure about that. I'm pretty sure I have heard Jay Leno cracking Lucas Electric jokes on his show, and we all know he owns quite a few Jaguars.

But I'm in agreement about the whole German cars are super reliable myth. Not all of them are. You absolutely don't want a Mercedes from the 2000s for example. They are junk! BMWs are also not really that reliable. But in general German engineering is a real thing. There is a famous top gear show where thy tried killing a Mercedes W124 and even used a bomb and a rocket launcher and still couldn't kill it. But not all Mercedes and definitely not all German cars are built the same. I know people that have had nightmares with BMWs, VWs and Mercedes.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:56 AM

Sorry for the double post. Rookie mistake.

Quick Reply: Newbie on the fence