XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No heat, 5 Amp Fust #3 Blown, antifreeze smell?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 04:18 PM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
Default No heat, 5 Amp Fust #3 Blown, antifreeze smell?

I've read most / all the forum on this issue, and I haven't tackled it because of the cold weather yet. My engine compartment #3 fuse blows - I am assuming that I have a bad / worn heater pump finally (Jag XKR has 130K miles on it). However, I smell anti-freeze from the engine when it runs, and from the vents when the heater is blowing (keep in mind there is no warm air when the heater is blowing). Nothing drips under the car or inside the car; and any loss of radiator fluid is fairly negligible in the sense that it is full and doesn't ask to be refilled.

My question is for those who have had bad heater pumps: Was there the smell of antifreeze as a result of a heater pump not running (nothing does drip from the heater pump) - I have not confirmed 100% that heater pump is the issue yet?

Old 03-13-2017, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I would look at these as separate issues.

The standard procedure is to do a pressure check. Reputedly, the harbor freight test kit has an adapter that works well with our cars, and parts store loaner kits do not.

You can have a quick look at the Norma connector. It is on the passenger side of the engine compartment, close to the firewall, sort of on top of the catalytic converter. If there is a leak, you can typically see evidence of it from the dried out white residue on the heat shield.

For the fuse, you might want to double check your information. The electrical guide is here:

jagxk2003.pdf

For lack of heat, you can quickly check the reading of the external temperature on the A/C module. If it reads very high (like 100+ deg F), then the sensor needs to be replaced. Also, if you search the forum, you can put the A/C module in diagnostic mode and have it tell you of any code.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

In our neck of the woods the Advance Auto Parts pressure test loaner kit had the necessary adapter to fit my wife's 2006 XK8. This was in November 2014....

If your vehicle's plastic coolant outlet duct (which also contains the thermostat) has not been replaced, this is a likely culprit for coolant loss (even if you cannot spot any leaking coolant). The plastic eventually breaks down, warps, and allows leaks that may be unseen because the fluid evaporates in the heat of the engine bay before you are able to see it pool or drip anywhere. As referenced above, a pressure test will reveal this weak spot. It did for me. Like you, I could smell coolant but could never spot it leaking....