XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil pressure for 6 or 7 seconds after cold start up

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil pressure for 6 or 7 seconds after cold start up

I have a 97 XK8 with 120,000 miles. I replaced the tensioners as a matter of preventative maintenance about a year ago. However, the other day when I started up, the message center displayed low oil pressure and it took several seconds for the pressure to come up. Normally it comes up immediately. Coupled with the long oil pressurization was a clattery sound from the front of the motor apparently coming from the front left cam cover, or so it sounded. I removed the cam cover, but there is nothing obviously wrong. Could this be a tensioner failure? If so, what would be the oil pressure delay? And what would the failure look like?

Any ideas anyone??

Les
97 xk8

Old 01-13-2015, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

You can replace the low oil pressure switch near the oil filter...it is easy to do and inexpensive BUT another common cause is bits of plastic debris from the timing chain tensioners and guides that have accumulated in the oil sump.

Since you have already upgraded your chain tensioners, then just drop the oil pan and inspect and clean the sump of debris.

Issue can also be with the oil pump, or a worn engine, but it is less likely that the above.

Note that the gauge is actually fake and just has two positions: no pressure and pressure over about 6 PSI which reads center scale.

(Also, be sure you are using the factory recommended oil viscosity.)

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-13-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Changed your oil filter lately? A filter without a back flow valve takes 30+ seconds to fill the filter before pressure reaches such things as chain tensioners and crank bearings. Aggravated by cold weather.

The following 3 users liked this post by test point:
cjd777 (01-13-2015), Johnken (01-13-2015), WhiteXKR (01-13-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 07:02 PM
Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

also are you running full synthetic the aluminum block doest like straight oil. full syn doesnt thicken as much in the cold the higher cost of the syn is balanced by the longer life of the oil and much better food for your cat .

Old 01-25-2015, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
You can replace the low oil pressure switch near the oil filter...it is easy to do and inexpensive BUT another common cause is bits of plastic debris from the timing chain tensioners and guides that have accumulated in the oil sump.

Since you have already upgraded your chain tensioners, then just drop the oil pan and inspect and clean the sump of debris.

Issue can also be with the oil pump, or a worn engine, but it is less likely that the above.

Note that the gauge is actually fake and just has two positions: no pressure and pressure over about 6 PSI which reads center scale.

(Also, be sure you are using the factory recommended oil viscosity.)
Finally got around to looking at the car .... however, after considering the issues etc I dropped the oil pan and sure enough ... it was littered with bits of guide material of various sizes. I took the oil pickup down to check that and it was loaded with the small bits and pieces that made it up into the wire gauze!! I was amazed at the trash up there. So, you were right on the money .... thanks for the input. Now its new timing chains, guides and tensioners ... it'll be a few weeks at least (maybe more) before I delv into that. Thanks again.

Les

Old 01-25-2015, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by wolfpck1
also are you running full synthetic the aluminum block doest like straight oil. full syn doesnt thicken as much in the cold the higher cost of the syn is balanced by the longer life of the oil and much better food for your cat .
Yep do run it on 100% synthetic. I had a company truck (Chevy 1500) that I insisted on using synthetic lube and an ex employee bought it after I had put 230,000 miles on it. Years later a friend of mine was talking to him and he commented that the truck was still going strong and saluted me for the early years of running it on synthetics. Great stuff!!
Thanks for your help.

Les