Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   No power to my fuel pump fuse? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/no-power-my-fuel-pump-fuse-115361/)

jaglenn 04-07-2014 03:33 PM

No power to my fuel pump fuse?

got my multi meter out today and found out I don't have power to my fuel pump fuse... actually there are several of the fuses in that block that don't have power... disconnected and re-seated all the connectors.. still nothing...
HELP????

Brutal 04-07-2014 03:37 PM

Some fuses are on the downstream side of a relay and only active when relay is. And i assume the ignition was on also :)

jaglenn 04-07-2014 03:41 PM

yes ignition was on... also there os only power to one of the poles on the relay... I checked others and there was only one pole without power...

Brutal 04-07-2014 03:46 PM

i would suggest you get a wiring diag for your car so you can see the circuits and applications. lots of circuits are ground application and 1 hot, then a gnd signal from ecu and closes relay to complete a gnd circuit as is MOST new cars today even though yours is not very new anymore. most circuits are gnd circuits and triggered or pulsed grounds

jimbov8 04-07-2014 03:51 PM

Hi Glenn,
Check these fuses,
F3 5A, trunk fuse box, that is the ignition supply to the fuel pump relay in the same box, relay 4.

F7 20A, trunk fuse box, that is the fuse for the fuel pump from the output of the above relay contact.

In the high power protection module, also in the trunk, you should find 3 x 250A fuses. You are looking for the one with 2 output lines connected to it. Check this one also.

Also check the voltage with ignition on, at the input and output of the fuel pump relay.

Hope this helps,

jaglenn 04-07-2014 04:19 PM

ok.. no power to F3..
checked the high voltage block.. 12.30 all the way round
power to fuel pump relay 12.28 input... nothing on any other.

jimbov8 04-07-2014 04:25 PM

Ok, now check that your inertia switch has not tripped because that is what feeds the ignition positive relay in the trunk fuse box, which then feeds F3.

You should have ignition switched to position II while checking.

jaglenn 04-07-2014 04:54 PM

inertia switch is good... still no power

WhiteXKR 04-07-2014 05:41 PM

What you are seeing is normal steady state. The fuel pump (and relay) will not run continuously, just for a few seconds when the ignition turns on or if the engine is running. The relay is ground switched, as Brutal said. Have someone turn on the ignition while you are watching the voltage to the fuel pump...you should see the voltage briefly appear then drop out if the engine does not start.

Chances are you have a bad pump.

jaglenn 04-07-2014 06:14 PM

I have installed a new fuel pump.
the ignition relay in the trunk was out of place.. I am NOW getting power to f3.. 12.23v
again i had my wife cycle through the key positions and am only getting a couple mili-volts from to the f7 fuel pump fuse. I am getting 12.28 on two poles of the fuel pump relay

jaglenn 04-07-2014 06:25 PM

Brutal,
I found and downloaded a wiring diagram... looking at it now...

Paul Pavlik 04-07-2014 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by jaglenn (Post 949696)
I have installed a new fuel pump.
the ignition relay in the trunk was out of place.. I am NOW getting power to f3.. 12.23v
again i had my wife cycle through the key positions and am only getting a couple mili-volts from to the f7 fuel pump fuse. I am getting 12.28 on two poles of the fuel pump relay

There will be 12v (to ground) on both Fuel Pump Relay COIL terminals until the ECM pulls one of the terminals to Ground, Energizing the Relay.

If you ALWAYS (with the key on) have 12v (to ground) on both Relay COIL Terminals, the ECM is Never Energizing the Fuel Pump.

These measurements are with the Relay Plugged in to the Socket.

The Relay COIL Terminals are the ones that are opposite and Parallel to each other.

Gus 04-07-2014 09:19 PM

The first link is for a voltage test I made to my 99xk8 and should help the second link is a wiring diagram for a 98xk8. Both should help.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxk1998.pdf

jaglenn 04-08-2014 10:04 AM

Okay... with 3 and 5 jumped... I get fuel pump...
but no difference with the key. what else is on that circuit that I can check that may or may not be working? or are we looking at computer problems?

WhiteXKR 04-08-2014 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by jaglenn (Post 950129)
Okay... with 3 and 5 jumped... I get fuel pump...
but no difference with the key. what else is on that circuit that I can check that may or may not be working? or are we looking at computer problems?

Try a relay swap (the brown ones are identical) if you have not already.

Assuming you still have the problem, you should check for wiring continuity to the ECM on the Pink/Brown wire.

If there is a fault on this ECM circuit to the relay, or the ECM itself, it should also set an OBDII fault code (P1230) and come back even if you reset the code.

jaglenn 04-08-2014 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR (Post 950145)
Try a relay swap (the brown ones are identical) if you have not already.

Assuming you still have the problem, you should check for wiring continuity to the ECM on the Pink/Brown wire.

If there is a fault on this ECM circuit to the relay, or the ECM itself, it should also set an OBDII fault code (P1230) and come back even if you reset the code.

Continuity between the pink/brown wire and what?
Also the car will NOT connect to my OBDII... it's the Innova 3100 I have read in the OBDII thread that it is known to work.

jimbov8 04-08-2014 11:57 AM

Just wondered whether your anti theft system has been activated recently.

Also, does the red light by the gear lever flash when you try to start?

jaglenn 04-08-2014 11:59 AM

Also.. while going through the stuff I got with the car... i have found two other ECMs I was told they changed out the ECM and reprogramed/flashed it so it looks like they felt it was a computer problem as well... BTW I have like many gotten the car in this condition with very little information attached.

jaglenn 04-08-2014 12:01 PM

no red light from the security system

WhiteXKR 04-08-2014 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by jaglenn (Post 950174)
Continuity between the pink/brown wire and what?

Pin one of connector EM13 on the ECM and the fuel pump relay