XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No power on Radio or nav 2002 xkr

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power on Radio or nav 2002 xkr

I have a 2002 XKR with no power at radio or navigation display. I checked fuses all ohmed good.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,790 Likes on 12,164 Posts

Welcome to the forum Jak1221,

The devil is often in the detail. Has this just happened after working satisfactorily or did you buy the vehicle with this as a pre-existing fault?

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 02-03-2017, 09:24 AM

All was fine owned the car ten years just stopped one days when I started. Radio and nav screen are dark. I thought it was a fuse but no luck.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am having the same problem. The radio and display has been fine for the last five years. But suddenly neither will work. Like you I checked the fuses and even changed the ones associated with the radio/display. Still not working. I haven't followed up the troubleshooting for a few months, but plan to get back on this. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be appreciated. Don

Old 04-12-2019, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,575 Likes on 944 Posts

I had this problem once on my 2002 XKR. After I charged the battery everything worked fine. After I replaced the battery and started using a battery tender plus I never had the issue again. And the other gremlins disappeared as well.

The biggest thing I've learned about these X-100 series cars is that the battery MUST BE 100% at all times. With a non-perfect battery everything from no radio to the Engine Fail Safe warning can and WILL happen. After 50+ years of professionally working on all types of cars a person might get a little complacent and think they know something ( wrong ! ). A few hours on this forum will really open up a persons eyes on how to maintain these cars and have a swell time as an owner. Fortunately, learning about them is pretty straightforward.

Just because you might have a fairly new battery is NO reason to think it's OK. You must load test the battery to know ANYTHING about how good it is. A volt meter is not going to be much help. Either buy a load tester, or have someone do the load test for you,

Z.

PS if you don't have service records showing when the oil cooler lines were changed, do that immediately. They will fail at some point, and you will lose all the oil in just a minute or two. New supercharger oil and new transmission fluid will also keep the car happy. you can do a search on the forum to see which kinds of fluid will work.

NOTE: Chinese transmission parts will not keep the car from leaking fluid, I found out that the hard way. You want genuine Mercedes parts for ANY transmission work. Has them: https://www.pelicanparts.com/

ebay sellers often advertise OEM parts, but in my experience often they are cheap Chinese parts, and will fail.

Z

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (04-13-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 10:06 PM
Default Battery good

I changed my battery problem still there so I tired another radio and it didn't work. I am going to buy a wiring schematic and see if I can find the problem.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

Did you have either battery load tested ?

are you keeping the battery on a reliable battle battery tender ?

just curious. Best of luck in tracking down the issue.

Z

Old 04-12-2019, 11:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, Z. I don't drive the car as much as I would like, and the battery is about a year old. I will get on the battery tender tomorrow. And thanks also about the oil cooler lines. We never think about those things until we are standing on the road beside our car wondering what happened.
Don

Old 04-12-2019, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Check battery cables too

As our cars age, it’s not just the battery that need TLC. Check both battery cables, both ends. Any yellow signs of corrosion, at the contacts, needs to go. Good time to clean, and I meant really clean the contacts. Bit of grit paper and contact cleaner not WD40. 12V isn’t a big voltage and the X100 is a really picky car when the voltage drops below optimum.

On my 1970 Triumph GT6, the cables looked good until I unbolted them and saw putting at the contact areas. I actually used silver conductive paste too at this point.

somewhere on this forum is a check too on the grounding points, to check if you have excessive voltage drain/leakage

Old 04-13-2019, 10:07 AM
Default Battery good

The terminals are prefect, battery passed load test, alternator is delivering correct voltages.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Can you test the radios power supply plug?

Old 04-16-2019, 03:01 PM

WOW! It works! I charged the battery fully (it did need a charge) with my large charger. Then I connected a trickle charger and left it overnight. The next morning when I started the car, both the radio and the nav screen came on and are doing fine. Now I plan to keep a trickle charger connected whenever I am not driving the car and it is in my garage. I would not have even thought that this could be the problem. My thanks to zray, Johnken, and David Yau for your help. The wonders of English cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by dpen2020:
DavidYau (04-16-2019), zray (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dpen2020
WOW! It works! I charged the battery fully (it did need a charge) with my large charger. Then I connected a trickle charger and left it overnight. The next morning when I started the car, both the radio and the nav screen came on and are doing fine. Now I plan to keep a trickle charger connected whenever I am not driving the car and it is in my garage. I would not have even thought that this could be the problem. My thanks to zray, Johnken, and David Yau for your help. The wonders of English cars.
I keep my Battery Tender + hooked up to the battery whenever the car is in the garage overnight, or longer. You'd be surprised at the issues that go away with that little bit of care.

Z

PS I had the same blank NAV screen and no stereo once or twice, when my battery didn't t get it's extra meal of electrons.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:03 PM
Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Same here it's on the battery tender at all time's when not in use....