XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No sound from radio...

Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default No sound from radio...

Good day everyone!!!

It has been a while since I've been on here advising everyone about my project... My job and schooling keeps me pretty busy... I've put this into another thread instead of at the end of the "my project" thread to be easier to find should someone else have the same issue... I've searched but could not find anything specific to what condition I have...

When I got the project blue, the radio was pretty much the only thing that worked great... As things have gotten fixed, I noticed one day the radio just didn't work... I think I had the top down and didn't even notice the radio wasn't working until the next time it was oddly quiet in the car... So, everything works as it should visually, but I don't get any sound... The antenna goes up and down, the display on the radio works and all the buttons respond as they should... Volume increases and decreases numerically... I got a used amp off ebay and that didn't fix the problem... I have power to the amp... The CD changer doesn't work and if someone has an old broken one, I will gladly make room on your shelf for something better!! Mine stripped a gear inside... I will take pictures and explain things if anyone wants me to...

So, the reason why the thread... I was hoping if someone had a common problem fix for these conditions that I am not yet aware of... I am going over the schematics and nothing is standing out... Bad ground maybe... No output from the head unit... I'd figure I'd ask before I go digging in there with the test equipment...

Cheers all and thanks much!!!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 AM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

This may sound like a dumb thing to check but, the power amp and the antenna are on a different circuit than the head unit. Fuse is in the box by the spare tire.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by DaveC
This may sound like a dumb thing to check but, the power amp and the antenna are on a different circuit than the head unit. Fuse is in the box by the spare tire.
When it comes to our cars, I've learned nothing sounds dumb!! Is it possible to have the head unit not have output due to the fuse, but still have a working display? Doesn't sound logical, but again, nothing is surprising with the Jags...

Thanks much!!

Cheers!!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Speaking of dumb things to check, I lost my audio while trying to fix problems with the CD changer. Like yours, everything looked OK, just no sound.

After checking all connections, the amp, etc. as well as fuses, I realized I had gotten the radio settings off. It was set with bias to rear and the woofer was turned down...thus no audio.

A quick reset to normal, and audio restored. Dumb yes, but worth a check.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Speaking of dumb things to check, I lost my audio while trying to fix problems with the CD changer. Like yours, everything looked OK, just no sound.

After checking all connections, the amp, etc. as well as fuses, I realized I had gotten the radio settings off. It was set with bias to rear and the woofer was turned down...thus no audio.

A quick reset to normal, and audio restored. Dumb yes, but worth a check.
WOW!! If that is the issue with mine, I can add DUMB A$$ to my description... It would make sense as I don't have any woofer speakers in the back (taken prior to my ownership)... Ya think I would have checked that already... I'm second guessing if I have though...

Thanks much!!! Will let you know!!

Cheers!!