Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Oil dip stick without any oil on it, top up with oil? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/oil-dip-stick-without-any-oil-top-up-oil-85210/)

jagosaurus 11-23-2012 03:17 AM

Oil dip stick without any oil on it, top up with oil?

Just tested the oil level with the dipstick, engine off and cold, and the stick did not have any oil on it, only the tip perhaps.

Is there too little oil or did I do something wrong? If the former, is it ok to just top up with the same oil as the last change?

plums 11-23-2012 04:19 AM

First thing before starting after a long rest is just about the best time to check your oil.

The normal procedure for checking your oil:

1. pull out dipstick, note the oil level -- if it has been standing a long time, this will normally not change in the next steps.

2. wipe oil from dipstick with paper towel, tissue or rag

3. reinsert dipstick into dipstick tube to the bottom

4. pull dipstick and again read the oil level

if it is between the low and high marks, you are within spec

if there is no oil or it is below the low mark, add oil

for top up, use any quality oil meeting the spec. using the same oil as the last change is certainly ok.

Pictures can be found in your vehicle maintenance manual in the black vinyl folder.

Soot II 01-08-2013 11:13 AM

Just a guick note on reading the dip stick. I found trying to get an accurate reading with fresh oil difficult for these tired old eyes, especially in low light situations. My solution was to paint the bottom few inches of the dip stick with a black "Sharie". It does wear off after a few thousand miles, but it makes a world of differance in getting an accurate reading.

JS

maxwdg 01-08-2013 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Soot II (Post 652827)
paint the bottom few inches of the dip stick with a black "Sharie".

That's an interesting idea, but did you mean black "Sharpie"? As in the marker pens?

Mikey 01-08-2013 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by plums (Post 625910)
First thing before starting after a long rest is just about the best time to check your oil.

The normal procedure for checking your oil:

1. pull out dipstick, note the oil level -- if it has been standing a long time, this will normally not change in the next steps.

2. wipe oil from dipstick with paper towel, tissue or rag

3. reinsert dipstick into dipstick tube to the bottom

4. pull dipstick and again read the oil level

if it is between the low and high marks, you are within spec

if there is no oil or it is below the low mark, add oil

for top up, use any quality oil meeting the spec. using the same oil as the last change is certainly ok.

Pictures can be found in your vehicle maintenance manual in the black vinyl folder.

+1. It would also be a good idea to keep a close eye on the oil level to see if there's a consumption problem. Our engines don't typically use enough between oil changes to require a top up.

Jon89 01-08-2013 01:41 PM

Agreed. Once you top up your oil, check it at least every couple of days for the next couple of weeks prior to engine start-up. And look carefully underneath the car for any telltale signs of oil leaks. But if it is indeed a consumption problem rather than a leak, you won't see that on the ground....

GGG 01-08-2013 01:57 PM

+1 to Plums procedure

NOTE: if the vehicle is not on level ground, you will get a false reading on the dipstick.

Down at the front or over to the right will typically give a false low reading. Up at the front or over to the left will give a false high reading because of the shallowness of the oil pan and the position of the dipstick tube.

Graham

berlin1977 01-08-2013 05:08 PM

The first question I would have did you check your oil after it was change? Most U.S. cars hold around 5 quarts. The Jag requires 7.5 quarts. The local shop that changed mine had no idea how much oil was required. This could possibly be why your oil level is so low, and the reason why i now change it myself. Jim

Soot II 01-10-2013 12:55 PM

"Sharpie" is correct. Try it, you'll be suprised how much easier it is to read the "stick". I have an 05 XK8 with 50K miles on it and it has consistantly used 1/2 quart every 2K miles for the last 20K miles. No signs of leaks or smoke. My wife has an 04 XJ8 with 58K miles and I can't remember when I last had to add oil. I figured my more agressive driving style might be a contributing factor.