Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Oil Everywhere (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/oil-everywhere-148058/)

R3Wood 08-14-2015 07:30 AM

Oil Everywhere

Hello,

2003 XKR. Yesterday I pulled into shopping center all was good. I pulled out onto a back street no more than 30mph, I noticed spray all over my windshield. Then seconds later the low oil pressure light/warning sounded. I limped home very slow and got it into my garage, leaving a trail of oil the whole way. I have not had time to get under there, but it was pouring out from around the bottom of the fan area. Most of the reason I did not get under there yet was disgust. I am planning on putting it up tomorrow and getting a good look. Any ideas, or common problems with oil pouring out like that? The engine still was purring when I shut it down, no knocks, temp was fine, just low pressure oil light/warning. The oil was getting onto the fan and spraying it all over the place.

WhiteXKR 08-14-2015 07:40 AM

The most common cause is an oil cooler hose. They are known to fail near the crimp and Jaguar redesigned them at some point.

Norri 08-14-2015 07:51 AM

Did you hit the concrete stop with the oil cooler when you parked?

I hope home wasn't a very long limp.

R3Wood 08-14-2015 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Norri (Post 1286574)
Did you hit the concrete stop with the oil cooler when you parked?

I hope home wasn't a very long limp.

The limp was very slow and very short. I am very careful not to hit the curb or stop, but I could have just not been paying attention for a split second. :(

R3Wood 08-14-2015 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR (Post 1286566)
The most common cause is an oil cooler hose. They are known to fail near the crimp and Jaguar redesigned them at some point.

Any special tools needed for that?

I guess I will change the oil too :)

WhiteXKR 08-14-2015 08:03 AM

No, but the hoses are pricey, and if one failed you may want to consider replacing all four.

See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...er-hose-50378/

Some people have had a hydraulic shop remake hoses...this will probably cost a lot less.

R3Wood 08-14-2015 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR (Post 1286587)
No, but the hoses are pricey, and if one failed you may want to consider replacing all four.

See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...er-hose-50378/

Some people have had a hydraulic shop remake hoses...this will probably cost a lot less.

Thanks. I will update as soon as I crawl under there. I will also need to clean the engine as there is oil everywhere. Are there any problems with cleaning these engines. I know my Audi has very sensitive coil packs for moisture.

RJ237 08-14-2015 08:40 AM

Do not pressure wash. Many electrical connectors are not as water tight as when new, and the coils same as your Audi. I would even put a plastic bag over each valve cover and clean them by hand with solvent.

I don't recall if your model has knock sensors, and I think it doesn't, but check on that as they are a source of trouble on NA engines that are washed.

GGG 08-14-2015 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by R3Wood (Post 1286606)
........ Are there any problems with cleaning these engines. I know my Audi has very sensitive coil packs for moisture.

YES - Jaguars are very sensitive to moisture too.

Graham

R3Wood 08-14-2015 09:06 AM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...6d9d1b72d0.jpg
So are these lines accessible without major non-related parts removal?

toaster 08-14-2015 10:59 AM

I hope the motor is OK,
IŽll never drive my car only one meter with low oil pressure warning.
Red Light = Ignition off

Mikey 08-14-2015 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by toaster (Post 1286738)
I hope the motor is OK,
IŽll never drive my car only one meter with low oil pressure warning.
Red Light = Ignition off

Absolutely. :icon_really:

Jandreu 08-14-2015 09:57 PM

When I was looking at buying my 03 this was a red flag in the service history. As I'm on Maui and was buying the car site unseen from CA I took a leap of faith. The car has complete and detailed service records from when it was new, had 88K on it when I bought it a little over a year ago. The seller sent me copies of all service records to review before I bought it. The car had been towed in at 75K for no oil pressure and oil dripping out of the front.

The PO had hit a curb parking and broke the oil cooler. No issues but the car was did apear to have been driven at least a little before being towed in. The complete front under the care including the wheel wells were covered in oil. Took me a lot of careful cleaning to get my underbody and engine clean.

jamdmyers 08-15-2015 06:51 AM

I had to replace the rubber mounts on the oil cooler, (isolators or something jag called them) forget the oem price, you can use these (with the nuts from orig) New Jaguar Vanden Plas XJ6 III L Sovereign Drier Mount | eBay

fmertz 08-15-2015 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by R3Wood (Post 1286580)
Any special tools needed for that.

I changed mine a few weeks back. No big deal. I posted this: Replacing Oil Cooler Hose

Normally, the 03 4.2L has the improved hose design, but it does not prevent degradation over time apparently. Best of luck, keep us posted.

1avguy 08-15-2015 11:40 AM

I had same issue about a year ago, right at 100k miles. Was in fast lane on fwy, instantly coated underside even with coasting over to stop. It pumps out under pressure. fortunately i was right at limit of AAA extended towing range to get to dealer (had no choice on the road). All was good as I shut it down immediately and waited for 3 hours for a flat bed tow. This is not on the radar as preventive maintenance. but seems to be a problem. It will now be on my replace anyway list at 75K mile/8year intervals.

-Steven

aode06 08-18-2015 10:30 PM

Repair the hoses and sell the car as is before it starts knocking. The 4.0 and 4.2 can't tolerate what just happened. I have seen countless engine replacements over this, and they were at idle, and got the low oil light. 4-9 months later, knocking.

R3Wood 03-14-2019 08:33 AM

I was looking over some old posts, I am about to do the front oil lines, number 2 and 3 hose and sway bar links/bushings. The summer should be more fun knowing all the hoses are now updated. I have had zero problems with the engine since the number 5 hose ruptured and I limped it home in 2015. The engine is smooth, quiet, starts up every spring. This forum and the people on it have been invaluable for me as I was new to Jaguar in 2014. I'm sure you will agree, there is nothing like working on your Jaguar, knowing it's right, then putting the top down, taking off in no particular direction, with no destination and enjoying the XK. Thanks again to all of you guys.

Jon89 03-14-2019 08:59 AM

Yep, this forum remains by far the best automotive forum I have ever been a member of. While I do enjoy the Ram, Subaru, and Lexus forums that I utilize to support our other vehicles, this Jaguar forum is far better in many ways than any of those. I have made some lifelong friends here. That just doesn't happen on the other forums I utilize....

zray 03-14-2019 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by R3Wood (Post 1286562)
Hello,

2003 XKR. "......seconds later the low oil pressure light/warning sounded. I limped home very slow and got it into my garage, leaving a trail of oil the whole way. ......."

as others have mentioned, never ever drive one more foot with the low oil pressure light on. I'd much rather block traffic until a tow truck arrives instead of pay $5,000+ for a complete engine overhaul. By the time the low oil pressure light comes on, your engine is ALREADY at grave risk of being damaged. Why practically guarantee severe engine damage by continuing to drive.

I just don't get it.

The fact that your engine was still running does not preclude the bearings chewing themselves to pieces the whole time, not to mention the top end cam damage being done from low or no oil pressure.

If I was on the way to the hospital for a legitimate life or death emergency, then MAYBE I'd keep driving, but I doubt it. I'd more likely flag down a car behind me that I'm blocking, and beg a ride from them.

Originally Posted by fmertz (Post 1287499)
I changed mine a few weeks back. No big deal. I posted this: Replacing Oil Cooler Hose
Normally, the 03 4.2L has the improved hose design, but it does not prevent degradation over time apparently. Best of luck, keep us posted.

^^^^^^^ +1

time waits for no one, and no part either. there isn't a hose made today that will last forever. The myriad of coolant hoses, and the oil cooler hoses have been fortunate to last as long as they have lasted. 20 year old hoses and belts, whatever their apparent condition, should be replaced ASAP as part of a regular maintenance schedule, or just tempt fate at your own risk.

Z