Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Open trunk with Dead Battery (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/open-trunk-dead-battery-46669/)

jrelrod 12-05-2010 07:38 PM

Open trunk with Dead Battery

I have a 2000 XKR with a completely dead battery. Since the battery is dead I can't use the trunk latch release button to get into the trunk to charge the battery. There is no key hole. How can I open the trunk? Is there a release cable somewhere in the car?

WhiteXKR 12-05-2010 07:44 PM

There is a keyhole! :icon_razz:

Look for the 'XKR' logo at the back of the car on the right of the trunk.

There is a keyhole right smack in the middle between the 'X' and the 'K'.

Voila!

Gus 12-05-2010 08:22 PM

This might help http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairTrunkPowerAccess.htm Good Luck!

sandlin 12-22-2010 05:37 PM

Dead Battery --Can't get trunk open to charge it!!

I have a 1998 Vanden Plas. Battery is completely dead. I tried to use the key to open the trunk, but must have hit the valet key before battery died. Is there a place in the engine to charge the battery---a positive terminal somewhere? Don't think I can use a voltage meter to check since battery is completely dead. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Gus 12-22-2010 05:42 PM

Yes if you look at the link above and if that fails you may have another option.

Leedsman 12-23-2010 09:24 AM

I read on this website some enterprizing geezer had crawled under his car and used the heavy-current terminal on the alternator (or was it the starter motor?) which is wired straight to the battery in order to put some +12volt onto the system to open the boot/trunk. If there is a superfuse in the heavy wiring somewhere, and it's ruptured, then that won't work however. Worth a try though?
Leedsman.

sandlin 12-23-2010 10:08 AM

How to charge a dead battery through engine compartment

Thanks everyone!! I called the jaguar shop I use and they let me in on how to charge the battery through the engine compartment! Next to each of the two fuse boxes in the engine compartment are rubber grommets that cover positive terminals (that lead to the fuse boxes). They are NOT marked, but covered by rubber grommets. Hook the positive of the battery charger there and the negative to the metal of the car body and it's as simple as that! Worked like a charm. Battery is charging now.

Gus 12-23-2010 02:16 PM

Yes I know. My page shows you the locations under the hood for xj6 & xk8. Sorry I guess I did not make myself clear.

Swagga 12-30-2012 03:38 PM

Does anyone know how to recharge the battery through the engine compartment for a 2007 XKR? I'm stuck overseas, my father has my car, can't get the rescue key to work and the battery is dead.

Gus 12-30-2012 03:48 PM

See if this helps

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

preziosr 02-12-2015 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR (Post 278033)
There is a keyhole! :icon_razz:

Look for the 'XKR' logo at the back of the car on the right of the trunk.

There is a keyhole right smack in the middle between the 'X' and the 'K'.

Voila!

Thanks very much. I could've looked forever and never found it.

brantman 02-12-2015 08:00 PM

If everything is locked up and the battery is dead, you can attach a battery charger to the starter positive side and ground the negative anywhere. This will put some juice flowing to the battery. You can then pop the door/trunk and start it up. Of course, that only works if you have somewhere to plug in the charger. (Jumper cables should do the same thing.)

dan314 02-26-2015 02:17 PM

Thanks to WhiteXKR.

Lucasjaguar 05-08-2018 08:05 PM

Hello i have a jaguar xk8 1997 and the trunk dont open. A change sensor becouse there was a sign in the dash that said trunk open. So i solve that problem. But the thing is that the trunk still not open when i press the boton. When i press the boton the trunk make a noise of opening but nothing happen. Please somone can help me

Jon89 05-08-2018 08:40 PM

Use your key to open the trunk. The key insertion hole can be difficult to see, but if you look hard enough you will find it in the chrome trunk emblem....

03 XKR 05-09-2018 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lucasjaguar (Post 1891719)
Hello i have a jaguar xk8 1997 and the trunk dont open. A change sensor becouse there was a sign in the dash that said trunk open. So i solve that problem. But the thing is that the trunk still not open when i press the boton. When i press the boton the trunk make a noise of opening but nothing happen. Please somone can help me

I am not sure about the '97 model, but I would guess that it has an emergency release handle in the trunk behind the carpet below the brake light on the passenger's side as my 2003 does. It is a glow in the dark 'T' handle connected to a stiff wire that runs through a hole in the bottom of the latch and when pulled, manually releases the trunk latch in case someone gets locked in the trunk. On mine, the 'T' handle bound up in the carpet and plastic trim, which did not allow it to move, stiff wire, and kept the latch from releasing. I had to hold the key turned and open the lid because the bound wire would close the latch as soon as I let go of the key, another time it kept the latch from closing as it was bound up in the opposite direction.

dibbit 05-09-2018 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by 03 XKR (Post 1891831)
I am not sure about the '97 model, but I would guess that it has an emergency release handle in the trunk behind the carpet below the brake light on the passenger's side as my 2003 does. It is a glow in the dark 'T' handle connected to a stiff wire that runs through a hole in the bottom of the latch and when pulled, manually releases the trunk latch in case someone gets locked in the trunk. On mine, the 'T' handle bound up in the carpet and plastic trim, which did not allow it to move, stiff wire, and kept the latch from releasing. I had to hold the key turned and open the lid because the bound wire would close the latch as soon as I let go of the key, another time it kept the latch from closing as it was bound up in the opposite direction.

I wonder if that is region or year specific, because I don't have one of those on my UK spec 2001 XKR.