XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on this XK8...local trade.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on this XK8...local trade.

Used 1998 Jaguar XK8 xk8 For Sale in Springfield MO WC026764 | Springfield Used Jaguar For Sale SAJGX2248WC026764

Local trade. Haven't done the carfax but its available. My brother in law is the CFO at this Mercedes dealer. He was going to buy it for his son but the boy is a train wreck. I can pick it up for $6500 OTD. Really clean except driver seat is cracked up. Exterior is pristine. Color is old man gold but hey...its a Jag. New to Jags so not sure what to look for but for the money is this a good buy?

Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

Kim - welcome to the forum - check out the stickies in the XK8/XKR section of the forum for a guide on things to look for. low miles and looks to be in good shape. I would ask about maintenance records - especially if tensioners were replaced, hydraulic lines for the top to name a few

Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't know the sales tax and all in MO, but at $6500 o.t.d. is a great deal on this car. This color looks very good on Jag and will be an easy sell if you decide to part with it down the road. I bet if you maintain it and have it look the way it looks today, you will always recoup your money on the re-sale. Looked at the pics. I know that dealers detail the **** out of their cars, but this one is very good all the way around. Just ask yourself, what else can you get for that kind of money?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:03 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Car looks very clean. As suggested poke around in the sticky's in the forum for the following

Tensioners
Timing chain guides
Water Pump
Convertible Top hydraulic hoses

If none of these issues have been addressed (the tensioners and guides would need immediate attention as they can let loose without warning with catastrophic results) and you will not be doing the work yourself you will have to put some pretty significant dollars into the car. If you do the work yourself you can reduce this amount by a lot.

At 80K you may want to consider a transmission service also.

With all that said they are great cars to drive.

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2013, 07:32 AM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

+1 on all the others.

I would get the car on a lift and check the underside for rust, or anything else.

These are great cars, but the more you can do yourself (with the help of this forum) the better.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Welcome to the forum Kim,

If you do go ahead don't forget to post an intro in the new members section.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kim, had to smile when I saw the back seat. I've never the back seat of an XK8 that wasn't like new. The price seems very reasonable. You mentioned the driver's seat is "cracked up". New seat covers (leather) run less that $600, and you still have a good deal. It's at a Mercedes dealer, I'd think they have a reputation to stand by. Car looks very nice.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

personally I would seek out the color combination you want first

Old 03-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Well these cars are for a certain type of owner. If you don't need to rely on it for heavy commuting or it's a second or third car go for it. Also if you either have the money set aside for maintenance, a GOOD extended warranty or have your own tools and are wiling to do your own maintenance then go for it. Otherwise steer clear. You could probably drive it a year or so and still get your purchase price out of it, after that the potential and real maintenance costs would result in a net loss overall.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:03 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Kim,

I live in Springfield. I have a 2000 XKR. I haven't seen the car offered for sale in person, but the photos of the car look good. Provided the mechanicals on the car are in good shape, at the $6500 brother-in-law deal, it's a steal. The tensioner upgrade, convertible top hydraulics and the availability of complete maintenance records are worthy of consideration.

You might seriously consider a pre-purchase inspection by a reputable repair shop. For the things I can't do myself, I take my XKR to Rick's Automotive. Rick's can do a PPI for you. A PPI usually costs $100 to $150...money well spent!

Good luck on your pending purchase. I hope things work out for you on this car. It's always nice to see another smiling driver behind the wheel of a beautiful classic on the road in SW Missouri.

Jon

Old 03-28-2013, 04:26 AM
GGG
Received 16,793 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Kim Pilkington
............. Really clean except driver seat is cracked up. Exterior is pristine. Color is old man gold but hey...its a Jag. New to Jags so not sure what to look for but for the money is this a good buy?
Old man gold! I must be younger than I thought as I've never considered getting this colour yet.

Good advice already here on condition and what to check.

Let me add one warning. You don't just pour fuel in and drive a Jaguar. They all take careful maintenance and the older cars need frequent attention to keep them right.

If you don't intend doing much of this yourself, the costs can mount up alarmingly. This is one of the main reasons used Jaguars are cheap to buy and good ones are owned by enthusiasts like the guys here.

The low purchase cost is attractive but be clear on what you are considering getting into.

Graham

Old 03-28-2013, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

When the XK first came out, yes there were (still are) a lot of maintenance issues. As the years rolled by, they became more and more reliable. Post 2002, most of the major issues had been corrected and are much more reliable than the older ones that haven't had all the issues corrected. My 05 has been nothing short of amazing. My 97 does have a lot of little issues. Just because they share the same body style doesn't mean they're similarly reliable. There have been hundreds of minor modifications... I don't remember what year, but one year there were something like 8 or 9 hundred of these little changes.... for just a newer model year. And also remember, there's always a chance of getting a lemon, no matter how reputable or reliable any car can be.

And these cars maintain better if you drive them more... leave them sitting and they're not happy.

Anyways, good luck finding one you just have to have!

Old 03-28-2013, 07:27 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by xenophobe
When the XK first came out, yes there were (still are) a lot of maintenance issues. As the years rolled by, they became more and more reliable. Post 2002, most of the major issues had been corrected and are much more reliable than the older ones that haven't had all the issues corrected. My 05 has been nothing short of amazing. My 97 does have a lot of little issues. Just because they share the same body style doesn't mean they're similarly reliable. There have been hundreds of minor modifications... I don't remember what year, but one year there were something like 8 or 9 hundred of these little changes.... for just a newer model year. And also remember, there's always a chance of getting a lemon, no matter how reputable or reliable any car can be.

And these cars maintain better if you drive them more... leave them sitting and they're not happy.

Anyways, good luck finding one you just have to have!
+1

The first Xk8 I looked at was a 98 beauty with only 12K on the clock. But after reading through this great forum I decided to spend a little more time looking for(and as it turns out a little more money) on a 2003 4.2.

So far (knock wood) I have avoided almost all of the issues that I read about on the forum. I have had the DSC/ABS fault come up but a good cleaning of the speed sensors clears that up. The vert latch problem will soon be avoided by going manual.

By taking my time I was also able to find the color combo that really floated my boat and IMHO is the only color any British sports/roadster should be British Racing Green!

IMO these cars are a great bargain right now and well kept examples will appreciate in time. I remember when you could pick up a really nice example of a 55-57 Chevy Belair 2 door (one of my favorites) for around 12 grand today really nice examples start at 50k and go past the 100k mark!

I think the best advise you have gotten so far is to ask yourself how you will use this car. Others may disagree but I would not want to have to depend on my XK8 through the winter months and am happy that it sleeps in the garage only seeing dry, warm sunny days.

BTW If this is a second car for you and you have a garage you can save a lot of money by insuring through a classic car company such as Haggerty.