XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1341 & not a clue

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 06:50 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default P1341 & not a clue

A little background first. I have a 1999 XK8 with slightly under 66K miles on it. I lost a secondary cam tensioner on the driver's (left) side and it bent two exhaust valves on the number 7 cylinder. I replaced all four tensioners and the cam chains as well as the thermostat housing and thermostat while I was at it and also replaced the two valves of course.

After getting the timing set, etc. I started having a series of engine codes pop up. I started with the assumption that in the whole process some sensors had been improperly reconnected so I went through the process of rechecking all of them.

Currently I'm stumped at to what is causing the P1341 code to pop up. I removed the offending cam position sensor and instead of cleaning it I just went ahead and replaced it as it wasn't my idea of fun taking it apart only to find out it was defective and then having to wait 3-5 days for a replacement. Anyway the new one did not remove the code problem so I ran the pinpoint tests and it passed all of them. I repeated them each several times to make sure I wasn't losing my mind and it tested O.K. each time.

I'm also now getting a P0171 and P0174 along with an un-coded miss at idle. Once I get off idle the car runs flawlessly in every gear to well over 100. Yet the P1341 code comes back every time and has me stumped as up until the tensioner broke and was replaced I had no codes of any type and now I've had a series including P0300, P0306, P1316, P1341, P0171, and now a P0174 that popped up today when I took it for a test drive.

While I think I can troubleshoot the lean codes without any trouble the cam position sensor has me stumped and may well be the cause of some of the other ones as well even if it is only effecting the car at idle.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Could it be you missed alignment by a tooth on re assembly?

Old 09-17-2016, 10:16 AM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default I don't think so but anything is possible

Jamdmyers I don't think we missed the mark as we had locked the motor down at the crankshaft with that locking pin from the tool kit and the flats on the two cams lined up perfectly. That took me probably 4-5 tries to get the chains on the right tooth. In addition the engine cranks over without any hesitation, shuts down immediately and runs like a scalded dog once it gets off idle. No noises to indicated that there's a timing issue whatsoever.

I'm wondering what else might cause the ECM to post that code as generally codes often come in sets as one thing almost always causes something else. Bad coil will cause a miss and a miss will cause emissions codes, etc. You'd think that bad cam timing would cause a miss or some other condition to exhibit itself but aside from a lean condition on BOTH banks (which may be a MAF problem) there are no other codes.

I guess I'll have to run the pin point tests again but it's a real pain in the A** to get at everything because of where the connectors are located.