Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger door Micro Switch Failure FYI's for the next guy

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Passenger door Micro Switch Failure FYI's for the next guy

Friends, I have been dreading the job of replacing the failed micro switch in my passenger door for several weeks now. (The one that indicates door open/door closed) Well it had to be done so I watched Rev. Sam's video - great help, and scoured the archives - more great input. Two good things happened 1) I found that you know, it wasn't that hard at all to get the door latch mechansim out. 2) (this is the good one) - It seems that debris, probalby from a broken window last year, was preventing the switch to work! After I pulled out the mechanism and cycled it a few times - works like it should.

When you have to do this, here's a couple of heads up items that we can add to the list of what will help when you face this job.

1) Make a note of which side the electical connection to the latch and which side the inner door handle release wire passes with respect to the rear window guide. You must take the entire guide out as an early step. Getting that guide back in is probably the hardest part of it all and after an hour or so of cramped work it is harder than you think to remember where these items should be in relation to the rear window guide you are trying to thread back in without breaking the window, worrying about chopping your fingers off, or getting the window height just right to fit it in.

2) Take a marker and mark the orientation of the inner door release handle's ferrule on the end of the wire that goes into the receptical on the
latch itself. Rev Sams video does a great job explaining how to take it out, making it much easier to work the latch, but when you put it back, there is only one correct orientation that will not twist the release wire. Note it early and save yourself a few minutes later on. You probably won't realize you had it wrong until after you screw the latch mechanism back in.

3) If you are having problems getting the window guide back in after all is done, try removing the 1 inch long rubber stopper press fit at the top of the guide. Mine went right in after I did that.

4) Oh yes, for the record: Yes, the latch will open easily regardless of how far you close it manually. Just put a little pressure in the "open" direction and move the silver piece with the snap fitting up or down. Hey - it's scary when you you hear that last "Click" and wonder do youself "what have I just done after all this work. Is there any way to open the latch mechanism here in my hand without taking it apart?". I'll admit it, it happend to me. Now there's a reference .

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
BobF (11-19-2014), SPIJohn (11-19-2014)