XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger-side Headlight Assembly adjusters, XKR 100 (UK 1999)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 12:53 PM
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Passenger-side Headlight Assembly adjusters, XKR 100 (UK 1999)

The three cables on the end of the headlight assembly adjuster (near-side UK), originally the two halves of the headlight assembly were not correctly seated meaning the two ends of the adjuster were not coupled.

Since the purchase of my XKR the nearside dipped beam has been set low for my liking, and frankly not good enough for country roads. Come MOT time the mechanics have twiddled but not been able to correct the niggle. After many searches on this and other sites I felt brave enough to take a look, there was also the incentive of the cost for a replacement, even second hand, costing more than I wanted to splash out on, before investigating.

Having removed the headlight assembly it appears someone has swopped the original "washer" glass for the non washer type as the hose and coupling from the windscreen washer reservoir is just hanging down, not connected. They've also tried to replace a bulb through the top access and inadvertently unclipped and loosened the two halves enough to disengage the adjuster. This adjuster has wires entering via a three hole/pin connector.

Now assumption is always a dangerous thing but am I right in thinking this is the individual level adjuster for the dip & full beam, having seen another adjuster on the drivers side headlight assembly which looks identical?
Because of the wires is it also where the adjustment via the dashboard takes place, moving both sides in unison?

I've read that there is self levelling dependent on the cars loading, anyone know where that takes place? Or have I got that wrong and that's what the dashboard adjuster is for.

My MOT test is due Monday so I'll soon know if I've sorted or made things worse.

Here are a few images, top one is of the dashboard adjuster, the next is another manual adjuster on the headlight assembly which I'm not sure of the function but guess it might be for Left-Hand driving adjustment on export cars?

Dashboard headlight/ dipped beam adjuster

Is this for Left-hand drive (export) adjustment?

The clips on mine were not together as in this picture, also the seal was protruding which might be the reason it also suffered with condensation as well as the adjuster not correctly coupled with the headlight.

I'm assuming this should be attached to a washer headlight? If not connected as in the image will it leak screen wash?

Last edited by Sapphire Blue; 07-06-2018 at 01:15 PM. Reason: text correction
Old 07-07-2018, 05:07 AM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

The self levelling is fitted in cars with HID lights I believe and the manual height adjustment on your dash suggests you have halogen lights.The disconnected headlight washer line will drain your reservoir if it falls down so it would be worth zip-tying it higher than the reservoir, it will also discharge water if the headlight washer system is used but there is a fuse you can pull to disable the headlight washer while keeping the windscreen washer system operable.
This might help too; https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...stment-146434/

This is all the manual has.

Last edited by woox4; 07-07-2018 at 05:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sapphire Blue (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 04:54 AM
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Many thanks for your reply & link to past postings., woox4.

Although the headlight assembly is reasonably easy to work on there are procedures and tips on access/setting up that are at best sketchy. I've yet to find any detailed YouTube videos posted for the headlight assembly of the XKR 100.

The area that is defeating me at present is how to replace the retaining bolt which is situated underneath the assembly and fits into the "U" shaped bracket, shown as item 11 in the linked diagram in your post. I'm accessing it via the wheel arch with the port hole cover removed and the main wheel arch cover pulled back for access but it's still a long reach in, with some awkward obstructions which make holding the bolt and starting the threading beyond my skill level. I'm beginning to wonder if the bolt is in place before replacing the headlight assembly? If so there is very little manoeuvre room in the way I tried.

As soon as I saw the unconnected headlight washer hose I wondered if it would syphon the washer reservoir. Previously I thought there was a hole or overflow in the reservoir as filling it would cause a puddle to form under the nearside wheel (UK model).

Anyway thanks again and if anyone knows of a quick fix for the retaining bolt or a Youtube video, please post.

Regards
Paul.

Last edited by Sapphire Blue; 07-08-2018 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Text edit
Old 07-09-2018, 01:14 AM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

The bottom bolt is a long reach. You will find it easier if you take the wing/fender liner right out. Taking the front bumper off gives the best access of all.

The following users liked this post:
Sapphire Blue (07-11-2018)