XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Headlamps Inop

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Auto Headlamps Inop

My apologies for bringing up an old topic! I have read through some old threads, and can't seem to settle in a direction on this issue. My 2004 has HID lamps with "auto" feature. When light is low, I get the "lights not on" warning. Would that not indicate that the mirror sensor is working? My Rain Sense works fine. The mirror compass works fine. Haven't owned the car long enough to evaluate the mirror auto dimming feature. It was suggested that the HL switch may be bad. I would expect that repeated switching of the circuit on and off, etc would give some indication of operation at least once in awhile. No flicker, no operation at all. All other functions are normal. I intend to check for ground at the body control module. Haven't gotten that far yet. Input?

Old 09-13-2012, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

You probably saw my post on the subject, I am close to 100% convinced it is a fault in the mirrir or wiring going to the mirror. I plan to remove the mirror and test on the bench but it is not at the top of my snagging list yet so I will probably not get to it for another few weeks.

Reports of changing the stalk don't match up with the wiring diagram as to how the problem can be fixed unless there are differences in the wiring between years.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:33 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

When I first got my car I had the same problem, then I realised the lights stalk was not turned to 'auto'. Just a thought.
Regards
Keith

Old 09-13-2012, 05:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

Originally Posted by chopr
................ My 2004 has HID lamps with "auto" feature. When light is low, I get the "lights not on" warning..............
If you get the warning "lights not on" in the Message Centre appearing only with low levels of ambient light, this confirms two things:

1. the mirror sensor is working
2. the rotary collar on the light switch is not in the Auto position

I haven't needed to change the setting on my light switch rotary collar day or night for months. It's set to Auto permanently.

HID's with self levelling are a very different, and considerably more complex expensive installation than the earlier headlights with manual levelling.

Before rushing to the BPM, are all other functions working correctly - do your headlights come up to maximum elevation when you start the car and then settle to level within approximately fifteen seconds? Does the rotary collar allow you to operate the lights in the other three positions of Off / Side / Dip?

Graham

Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by simkins
When I first got my car I had the same problem, then I realised the lights stalk was not turned to 'auto'. Just a thought.
Regards
Keith

On re-reading, it sounds like your system is working correctly if the message only comes up in low light conditions and the above suggestions are correct.

This is not the problem I have which is the warning message all the time regardless of light conditions.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

It's probably a broken wire in the stalk.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

I haven't had the stalk set to "auto" because I knew it didn't work. I still get the "headlamps off" message when the stalk is in the off position. I took Graham's suggestion and set the stalk to "auto" this evening, and no headlamps, of course. But, I do not recall seeing the "headlamps off" message when in this position. The headlamps were definitly off. Will check it out further. I have a Launch scanner at the shop which has been excellent at reading specific modules in these "newer" vehicles. (I work on many, many different vehicles, so flexibility is the key!) I'm hoping it will be able to show me if I am sending a signal to the BCM or not without actually accessing the BCM to test there, etc. Looks like a simple ground will turn on the lamps. BTW, I do not believe I have self leveling lamps. I have had experience with those on other vehicles. Mine do not change level as described when first turned on. I have seen that on other cars. More to come...