XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-buy Inspection XKR Convertable

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pre-buy Inspection XKR Convertable

I am looking to buy a 2003 XKR that has low miles and for the last 6 years has only been driven less than 300 miles. I was told it has been garage kept since new and they keep it stored with the top down, that seemed strange to me. What should I look for and be worried about as problems with the engine, seals or top? I am seriously considering taking it to a Jag Mechanic to inspect. Any advice?

Old 01-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

You are looking at a much improved car since the model began in 1997. The 4.2 engines are reliable, the top hydraulics are improved (I said "improved", not "faultless"!), and generally among the best of this generation. They do have a myriad of electronics that give a new owner a string of headaches if you arent familiar with them. I would definitely recommend taking it to a local repair shop that knows Jaguars intimately. You will be glad that you did. The best advice can give is to test EVERYTHING. Raise and lower the top, windows, etc. Check ALL the seat functions and steering wheel functions. These cars are awesome, but they tend to be pricey when repairs are needed. Do your homework BEFORE buying! BTW, probably ought to plan on tires if the car set 6 years without much movement. They likely have "flat-spotted" by now.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:39 AM

Thanks Chopr!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Please take a moment to visit
New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
and introduce yourself so we can all say 'Hello'.
There's a How-To section at the top here with a checklist for new buyers.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:40 PM

Here is what the inspection came up with. The engine pan seal and the rear differential seals are both leaking. Not bad but ever so slightly. I would expect this having been idle for the the better parts of the last few years. A rodent had gnawed on one of the engine wire harnesses and other than that is came out ok. Any recommendations on the seals?

Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

First, that is a very favorable inspection. Congratulations. These cars are a driving experience! Assuming you went to a dealer or shop, normally these inspection guys find everything they can in hopes they can do you the favor of repairing all those issues for you.

Are you asking do "we" recommend getting the seals replaced? If so, from a concern-for-the-car perspective, I wouldn't worry about the oil pan since you can check the oil level easily and assure it is full. (If its leaking oil on the floor you have to decide if you can live with that, want to change it yourself, or have it changed). From an "I-am-an-OCD-Jag-owner" perspective, I would change it before I went to sleep tonight!

The diff. is supposed to be sealed for life but there is a threaded plug on it that can be used to put fluid in. I never did it and have read of some guys who have found ways to get to it and others who say there is no way possible to get to it without significant dismantling. One even had his garage drill and thread a hole in the cover so he could add an easily accessible fill-plug. I would definitely find a way to get the diff. topped off ASAP and find out how much was missing. My '97 had leaked during previous owners reign and destroyed the gears. (I noticed a whirring/winding sound at low speeds about 6 weeks after I bought the car and got a new $4K rear end under an extended warranty...a few months later the co. went out of business!). That seal is a PIA to replace and likely expensive to have someone do.

Also, if you haven't read the checklist Steve mentioned I would. I would also get some type of pressure-reducing mechanism for the convertible top pump. The plastic lines break and it can be an expensive, time consuming mess. All of our cars are vulnerable to this in their as-built condition. Depending on the climate your car was stored in you might have an added concern. Reducing the pump pressure isnt a guarantee that the lines will not break but to me it seems like a great way to do what I can to prevent it.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:23 PM

Hi Jacsun,
Thanks thats all great info. The previous owner just told me the passenger side window did the Stick Thing so he used plastiv and Duct tape to seal it when they put it on the truc to deliver. Now its sitting in LA where it is the only place it raining for the next 2 days (YGTBSM). I will do the pressure reducer and I have the tools to pull the Rear Dif Seal so shouldn't be horrible I would hope .

Old 01-25-2013, 08:05 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Good for you that you "have the stuff" to take care of these issues. I am sure the forum will be able to provide you any help you might need. Enjoy!

Old 01-25-2013, 09:21 PM

I ordered a service manual, something tells me I'm going to need it. This is my second Jag the first was an old XJ8. The funny part is my tag I will transfer to the XKR here in Florida has always been a "Save the Panther" plate. had to laugh at that.