XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'Premium sound' door tweeters missing!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 'Premium sound' door tweeters missing!

I've always thought the sound quality from the so-called 'premium' system in my 03 XK8 was a bit dismal. Part of the reason emerged over Christmas when I discovered that the door tweeters... er... weren't. In fact they weren't even present. Either they weren't fitted at the factory or the PO had removed them and not replaced them for some reason. The fascia tweeters were missing too.

The fascia speakers seem to be easy to find and I'll replace them, possibly with something better. The original part number for the door tweeters was LJD4145CA and apparently there's no stock of these anywhere in the world. There was a part number change at VIN 40265 to C2N2668 but it's not clear from the JEPC whether they're electrically the same item in a different housing, in which case they could possibly be adapted. Someone over on Jag-Lovers suggested that the original Alpines were ribbon tweeters, which is consistent with what looks like a very shallow installation (there's hardly room for a conventional component tweeter).

None of the UK's numerous Jaguar breakers have any and I'm somewhat at a loss. If anyone on here could suggest either a source for the original Alpines or a possible replacement I'd be very grateful.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Have you contacted Alpine via their website? Might be worth a try, especially with you having the original Jaguar part numbers. They may be able to do some cross-referencing for you. If their regular customer service reps aren't helpful due to the age of these units, ask for their "legacy" or "vintage" department....

Old 01-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Mine says "Alipine" on the door tweeter location but there was nothing underneath when I looked. Not sure if mine was the premium system but I suspect not. Alpine put their name on that spot whether or not the premium system was installed. When I re-did my system I didn't bother with door tweeters - I think the dash location provides better sound and more mounting options (deeper socket, sound bouncing off the windshield, etc.). I left the Alpine logos since what the heck, I just so happened to be installing an Alpine head unit.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

I'm clueless on XK8s but I throw this out just the same.....just on the odd chance it might somehow be applicable.

On some of the older models (like my XJR) with premium sound the tweeter issue is a bit confusing.

The dashboard tweeters are left I place but not actually used. Instead, A-pillar tweeters are installed. (The service manual mentions that 'no attempt' to use the dashboard tweeters with the premium sound should be made)

Elsewhere (foggy memory a the moment) there are two tweeter locations (on the parcel shelf, I think) where the speaker grilles are in place but do not speakers exist. Instead, the rear tweeters are installed in the doors. Or maybe I have that backwards

I might be a bit bollixed up on the details but my point is that *perhaps* what appears to be a 'missing tweeter' might not be missing at all.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-22-2014, 03:24 PM

Very many thanks to all for the helpful replies. I don't know whether the schematic on page 16-2 of the electrical guide in JTIS is specific to the UK market but it appears that the 'premium' sound system in the coupe is a 10-speaker installation (9 in the convertible) and that both the A-pillar tweeters and fascia tweeters are fitted. In fact they're shown as being driven in parallel. So they should be there; the build spec for the car confirms the premium system was fitted at manufacture and the amp and subwoofer are present. The wires for the A-pillar tweeters are present in the door cards and very easy to access.

I have e-mailed Alpine (UK) twice but have so far received no response. I've also e-mailed Jaguar's customer services department in the hope that they might help but haven't received a response from them either.

It may well be that the door-pillar tweeters don't add much but it would be nice to have them.

Thanks again -- I'll keep on the case and report back if I get anywhere.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

When chasing parts for my now 38-year-old Altec Voice of the Theatre home system audio speakers a few years ago, Altec never responded to my e-mails or attempted contacts through their various websites. I finally got results by chasing down an Altec tech support phone number and calling it to speak with an actual person. I remember that an actual phone number was hard to find, but once I had it and used it, I got the assistance I needed....

Alpine may operate the same way. Find a phone number and call them....

Old 01-23-2014, 11:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,765 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by segillum
I've always thought the sound quality from the so-called 'premium' system in my 03 XK8 was a bit dismal. ..........
There's more evidence to suggest you have the Base System fitted rather than the Premium System.

Graham

Old 01-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I too thought I had the premium sound system in my 03 XKR. I've even got the original options list from when the car was bought and it says it has it.

I thought the sound wasn't great up front and Xmas 2012 I fitted some JBL component speakers. I was familiar with removing door cards from installing remote roof kit. I needed to modify the plastic ring from the original speaker but it was well worth it.

I also just replaced my rear speakers last weekend as they were starting to distort when cold.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:32 PM

>There's more evidence to suggest you have the Base System fitted rather than the Premium System.<

If that were the case it would not have the amplifier and subwoofer, both of which are present.

I took Jon89's advice and called Alpine this afternoon. They did their best to help but have no records for this particular OEM unit. However they recommended the SPS-110TW as a possible replacement. Anyone on here familiar with this unit?