Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Random Overheating (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/random-overheating-220425/)

willtoliv 07-12-2019 05:09 PM

Random Overheating

I have a 2001 XKR, undersized pulley (16 lb boost), large, extra heat exchanger, newish radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses etc.. My car overheats on hot days (I live in Las Vegas) when moving in slow traffic. It is very random maybe does it once a month or so. Before this car I had a 1998 KX8 that did the same thing! I was never completely confident with it or the XKR. Yes, I have bled the system of air.
Does anyone make a stronger pump? Electric pump conversion? I have worked on cars for over 50 years and this situation is quite frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Will

CorStevens 07-12-2019 05:41 PM

is it overheating or just getting close to the red zone. stop and go is the worst as it heats up the pistons with low coolant circulation. i can get up to about 220-224 in stop and go on a hot and humid day, but this is not overheating. the scale on the gauge makes it seem worse than it is.

sklimii 07-12-2019 05:50 PM

What White Hat says!! when we have temps over 100, it's not uncommon for my temp to be around 218-220 in stop and go. It drops back down once traffic starts moving again

DavidYau 07-13-2019 12:39 AM

Desert climate challenges coolant system

+1 to the above.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...b188a56cd.jpeg
Well, here in Bahrain, I would say that the desert climate, in the Arabian Gulf, challenges the X100’s cooling system. As a daily driver, sometimes on the go all day in all sorts of traffic conditions, I can safely say my 1999 XK8 NA cooling system is going well, but with routine checks and maintenance.

Not sure how you’re reading your temps, but if you have it over OBD, post results here. Temps do fluctuate.

I would advise the following, if you haven’t already done so.
1. Check fans are ok and working
2. Check and Clean radiators of any signs of debris and clogged dust/sand. At least once a year, preferably before the hot season, wash down the radiator thoroughly. You’ll be surprised at the dirt and muck that comes off it.
3. Fill coolant expansion tank up to top when car is cold.

You should routinely (me once every 2 years) flush and refresh the entire 9L of coolant. Some use a special cleaner to remove any gunck in the system. Some in Texas mix anti freeze, distilled water with a “water wetter” as the coolant. I haven’t needed to do that... yet.

Also if the car overheats at the beginning of a drive, the thermostat needed changing, as it’s stuck closed.

Let us know how you get on in LA.

DavidYau 07-13-2019 12:45 AM

Use of AC makes cooling more difficult

Also if you have the AC on, it’s an additional “load” so more difficult engine cooling. High ambient temps don’t help the heat exchange.

In emergencies here, we learn to switch off the AC and turn heater up to max. That’ll help cool the engine. But it won’t be comfortable for you!

MiragePro 07-13-2019 08:02 AM

I live in the Palm Springs area where the temps average between 115 and 118 degrees during the summer. Sometimes hitting 130. My solution is to not drive it during the summer months. Occasionally I will take it for a quick spin at night when it gets down around the 90's.I recently went through my cooling system and replaced everything, except the radiator. I also keep it garaged in order to protect it from the sun. Black convertible with a black top is not the best car to drive in grueling heat. Driving with the top down is like being in an oven.

Jon89 07-13-2019 12:20 PM

While our summer heat does not approach your Palm Springs temperatures, driving a top-down convertible here during the summer months is indeed miserable. A 98-degree day with 90% humidity is no fun at all. If I drove around for more than 20 minutes I would sweat enough to fill a bathtub. Autumn is the ideal season for top-down cruising around here. By the way, how far are you from Frank Sinatra's old 1950s-era "Twin Palms" home? I believe it is a short-term rental home now, probably going for astronomical rates....

MiragePro 07-13-2019 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89 (Post 2098354)
While our summer heat does not approach your Palm Springs temperatures, driving a top-down convertible here during the summer months is indeed miserable. A 98-degree day with 90% humidity is no fun at all. If I drove around for more than 20 minutes I would sweat enough to fill a bathtub. Autumn is the ideal season for top-down cruising around here. By the way, how far are you from Frank Sinatra's old 1950s-era "Twin Palms" home? I believe it is a short-term rental home now, probably going for astronomical rates....

It's about a 20 minute drive, depending on traffic. Not much traffic this time of year as the snowbirds have all flown North. They now have tours available, and yes, you can rent it out. It was up for sale in 2009, but didn't sell. Now a tourist site.
https://pshistoricalsociety.org/prod...e-movie-colony
Architecture: Twin Palms for Sale ? Frank Sinatra's Desert Bachelor Pad | Ultra Swank

It's now 11:30am and 114 degrees

Jon89 07-13-2019 03:09 PM

Thanks for the links. "Twin Palms" still looks to be a lovely home. Given its famous history, I wonder why it did not sell. Maybe Frank and Ava Gardner still haunt the place....

oldmots 07-13-2019 06:56 PM

Pull the top cover off of the radiator and look between the radiator and the AC condenser.

When I did this, there was a bushel of debris in between, blocking the airflow. This is common in any car.