XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RealGauge neophyte help

Old 05-24-2017, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RealGauge neophyte help

Just received my RealGauge from the JagWrangler. Planning to attempt the installation soon. Steve's instructions are great and anticipate no real issues.
My request is to the many wise XK8 owners who have put this unit in. Are there any little hints that you ran into as you progressed that I should watch out for. I have read most posts in the forum and have Rev. Sam's video on removing the gauge package cover.

Thank you in advance.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

good question: don't (bold underline &#128521 put anything (nuts bolts ratchets) on the dashboard that you don't want falling into the defrost vents.

it's so easy to do, as I thought how could this ratchet make it's way into the vent. It's way too heavy to be blown... sure enough wind caught the paper instructions which proceeded to sweep the ratchet right in = ouch. Pia to get out!

have some nice soft rags ready to give your instrument cluster a good cleaning while you have this good access.

speaking of access, if you are planning to change the bulbs behind the Speedo = perfect time now

can't think of anything else. These are little things but hey every little bit helps.

John

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I just completed the temp and oil pressure installation. I followed the directions exactly and it all worked perfectly. I only have 2 possibly helpful hints. 1. Be careful to not block the headlamp indicator with the stick-on labels at the bottom of the temp gauge. It is an easy one to overlook. The headlamp indicator is the small green square just under the needle of the temp gauge. 2. For the oil pressure installation, I did not remove the rubber firewall boot in the brake compartment. I cut a 1/4" hole in the boot near the bottom and then fed a flexible metal rod into the cockpit area. In the cockpit you will find a cross slice in the foam insulation under the dash in the drivers side near the left side. Since I had earlier removed the blower motor in the same area I knew what was behind the foam. I pushed my arm up toward the window about 12" and then turned my hand to the left toward the side of the car. I was able to grab the rod and pull the rest of the cable into the cockpit. I must say the product is excellent and works perfectly. Installation instructions are accurate and easy to follow. Good luck with your installation.

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (05-24-2017)