Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Recognition and thanks to Anthony Magic Mender leather repair (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/recognition-thanks-anthony-magic-mender-leather-repair-184400/)

Johnken 06-23-2017 10:51 AM

Recognition and thanks to Anthony Magic Mender leather repair

This was mentioned below in my how to clean leather post, but when one of us makes a recommendation that is great, I want to publically acknowledge it. Anyhony used and recommended Magic Mender leather repair. I used it and am stunned at how well they matched the seats color.

Easy to use, great instructions, perfect color match. Thank you Anthony

sklimii 06-23-2017 11:35 AM

:icon_worthless:

BagelConsultant 10-06-2022 09:13 AM

That looks really good, need to do the same on my car!

Pistnbroke 10-08-2022 02:15 AM

Chinese say " picture is worth thousand words"

Johnken 10-08-2022 12:24 PM

Bagel, this surprised me. Did you click on the wrong thread to reply to?

Not a problem at all, just checling.

For those who didn't notice the dates, this is a 5 yr old post. Not sure I'd recommend MMender with the same vigor. They nailed the color 100%, but wear and tear? Not so good.

John

zray 10-08-2022 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Johnken (Post 2574734)

“…..For those who didn't notice the dates, this is a 5 yr old post. Not sure I'd recommend MMender with the same vigor. They nailed the color 100%, but wear and tear? Not so good.

John

the seats on my 2002 XKR were “restored / reconditioned by the previous owner. He related to me the assessment by the upholstery shop that did the job, which mirrors my own experience.

they said that no fillers, & leather dye (actually a paint ) are products and techniques that should be considered a permanent fix. These efforts are all temporary. How temporary depends on the amount of subsequent use the seats will get. In my car’s case, after 4 1/2 years and 60,000 + miles of daily driving, the seats and center console are pretty much back to their unrestored condition. Soft and supple, but having the usual cracking and worn spots on the side bolsters.

so I wouldn’t be too harsh on the Magic Mender. There’s just no substitute for replacement leather and fabric.

I’m likely in the minority, but personally it doesn’t bother me to see worn and cracking of genuine leather on a 20 + year old car.

of note: Even Carroll Shelby forbade the interior restoration of the leather seats of the first Cobra which stayed in his collection until his passing. Cobra #1 is now in the Colorado Shelby museum. Fully restored, except for the leather seats of the interior.

Old leather that is worn, but still soft & supple from careful maintenance, tells a wonderful story of the years of enjoyment the car has given. I’m all for mechanical restoration, but the tactile parts of the car that the driver touches are another matter, imho.

Just the flip side of thinking's

Z

Dcdeuce 10-10-2022 12:56 PM

I also have the same caramel colored interior in my XKR and it's been driving me nuts how beat up my wheel is. I've wanted to change the color because I never really liked it and this post is really making me want to attempt it.

Johnken 10-10-2022 02:53 PM

D, just checking, I've never heard of the steering wheel being same color as seats. My oatmeal seats have Antelope colored steering wheel and top of dashboard.

If you need the document that lists colors (what and where all models), its here on the site.

FYI if you just need to restore steering wheel, pull the triangular shaped vent out of top left side of dashboard cowl, its the same color. Bring it to home depot - as for a color match matte paint. HD is really good at matching colors.

Cost? About $8.00.

Z,
Great story about the leather, thumbs up.

John