Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   removing rear trim(speakers) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/removing-rear-trim-speakers-55478/)

wjd03 05-30-2011 07:42 AM

removing rear trim(speakers)

Hey all, i have the leaking hydrolic hose problem (convertible). I have done some reading on this topic, (finding fluid under rear seat). I need to remove trim panels (speakers area) to inspect fittings. So as not to complicate an already painful task, how do i remove the trim and speakers? I dont want to damage that while trying to inspect. Looked for a link on trim only , just not finding the beginning of the process.
Thanks (99 XK8)

thefixer 05-30-2011 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by wjd03 (Post 357965)
Hey all, i have the leaking hydrolic hose problem (convertible). I have done some reading on this topic, (finding fluid under rear seat). I need to remove trim panels (speakers area) to inspect fittings. So as not to complicate an already painful task, how do i remove the trim and speakers? I dont want to damage that while trying to inspect. Looked for a link on trim only , just not finding the beginning of the process.
Thanks (99 XK8)

I'd definitely recommend getting the JTIS CD, which walks you through this, but here's a brief description from memory (did this a couple of weeks ago). You can download it from a link posted elsewhere on the forum.

You need to:

1) Remove the rear seat squab (bottom) - two nuts hidden under the front edge.
2) Remove the rear seat back - two screws at the bottom, and also remove the seat belt trim at the top (two screws each)
3) Remove the trim above the speakers that 'caps' the quarter panel trim (there's three screws each side, one of which is a tonneau clip), and remove the upper seat belt mount. You might also want to remove the lower seat belt mount (the metal bar), as that allows you to remove the panel completely from the car.
4) Remove the quarter trim panel. This is generally clipped into place and easy to remove, but at the very back there was one fir-tree clip (per side) that fastened into the body. It took me a while to find that. Make sure you also remove the wiring to the passenger side occupancy sensor.
5) Before removing speakers, remove the metal bar above them (my JTIS doesn't mention this, but it makes it a lot easier)
6) Remove the wiring from the speakers, then unbolt. Be careful, the lower plastic tabs seem to be very week (all were broken on my car before I even took it to pieces, but it doesn't seem to cause a problem)

Good luck!

-Steve

wjd03 05-30-2011 01:42 PM

i am stuck trying to remove the fastener for the seat belt. torx screw...

WhiteXKR 05-30-2011 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by wjd03 (Post 358141)
i am stuck trying to remove the fastener for the seat belt. torx screw...

You need a 50 mm torx socket. You might also need a breaker bar, those bolts are in with lock-tite. If you are near Arlington, give me a shout and you can come by and borrow the tools.

wjd03 06-11-2011 07:57 AM

re- need a new vert passgr ram

All, got this thing apart and it appears I need a new hydrolic ram on the drivers side. looses pressure at the top of the piston, thats where all this fluid is comming from- this is a 99 XK8 and I am going to leave it apart until I can replace the ram.....now I need to get a new one. best place to get a new one? and any tips out there?

wjd03 06-11-2011 08:04 AM

grrrrr and how do I get it out?

H20boy 06-11-2011 09:21 PM

call Dan at Nalley Jaguar, should be about $250...they call it a 'lift cylinder'. Sorry, no idea how it comes off.